Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing windows in an apartment

Options
  • 03-04-2015 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an apartment. The one that I've my sights on has really old windows and frames. Am I allowed to replace those as I wish or can the management company stop me?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Take a walk around and see what others have done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You will not be permitted to change the external appearance of the building so would have to replace like for like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

athtrasna wrote: »
    You will not be permitted to change the external appearance of the building so would have to replace like for like.

That is correct. Check with the management company of which you are a shareholder. The normal practice is replace like with like. Indeed if you could get a few other owners to do the job at the same time you could get a good discount from the suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The windows and frames are frequently owned by the management company rather than the householder. If this is the case, then the management company will replace the windows when they decide they are worn out, not the apartment owner. As suggested you should check this with the management company, or (better still) check the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

athtrasna wrote: »

I'm not sure we can know that, without seeing the lease and any operating rules that the management company has.

Particularly in an older building, replacing like-for-like is not always possible - it may even not meet building regulations to do so. (eg safety glass is now needed in some places).

OP, see what the lease says, and talk to other owners there about how the management company operates.

Advertisement