Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying House Rent Deposit In Cash

• 04-04-2015 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Sorry this is urgent,

I'm meeting a landlord in Dundalk tomorrow and has requested for deposit, is it ok if i go with deposit and pay in cash? I'm doing this to convince him that i really want the house, however, i don't know if this is a good step, as i've heard many times from people that some landlord can be convinced enough when they see cash deposit?? Another concern is he called me like twice today and gave me morning appointment before 12am, but i called him back to reconfirm the appointment and to my surprised he said i have to come 5am, and then he sounds like he's drunk though am not sure. I'm really afraid. What do you think?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SimonTheITGuy

I would definitely advise against dealing in cash. Any legitimate landlord would be happy with a bank draft/bank transfer/postal order/etc. There is a reason people don't deal in cash when it comes to paying rent/paying deposits.

Have a read of this leaflet from threshold for guidance:
    http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/avoid_getting_scammed_dont_lose_your_deposit.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

We payed cash. The arsehole claimed we didn't pay when we left. We couldn't do anything about it. I wrecked his house before I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

househero wrote: »
    We payed cash. The arsehole claimed we didn't pay when we left. We couldn't do anything about it. I wrecked his house before I left.

Omg, really?

How can a Postal order be traceable to prove that i paid him the deposit by postal order? What if he claim i did not give him any postal order? I really want to learn more. Thanks

20784 wrote: »
    Omg, really?

Yep, except I probably didn't do as much damage as I should have. He laughed in my face knowing I paid in cash. Got me so angry. PRTB didn't care.

You will prob be fine, but is it worth the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Do not pay in cash. Is the worrying worth it?

Meeting at 5am...he sounded drunk....are you nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Bank draft or nothing.
    Ask to see his ID as well like a driving licence. He could be the drunken brother minding his relatives place while they are away for a few weeks on Hols.

Keep a photocopy and/or photo graph of the draft

* Get his finger prints and swab him for DNA

* joking there, but do the rest. You need to see ID IMHO when handing over over 1000 euro

I've heard of people ending up homeless loading a months deposit

Second income for some LLs

Google "landlord won't return deposit" and you get approx 500,000 hits !

Err on the side of caution OP

Ok, what to expect after paying deposit? Will i get the house key the day i pay deposit? or i have to pay the month rent along with deposit before i can get key?

20784 wrote: »
    Ok, what to expect after paying deposit? Will i get the house key the day i pay deposit? or i have to pay the month rent along with deposit before i can get key?

Usually a month in advance

If you are planning to buy a house at some point in the future

Pay rent by bank, not cash. Your mortgage lender likes to see a regular commitment to rent, its easy to do electronically. Impossible with cash without receipts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No problem paying cash, just make sure you get a receipt for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pay cash - we both sign receipts there and then.
    Bank draft - we both sign receipts there and then.
    Get the IBAN & BIC details and do a transfer would be my preferred choice as a LL.

Advertisement