Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD - Masters in Advanced Software Engineering

Options
  • 04-10-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I've been working in industry for 3 years primarily in a software role doing embedded programming mainly using c/c++. It is in a R&D group so the coding standard is not required to be at a product level. My undergraduate is in engineering so I have no formal software engineering qualification. I'm considering doing the Masters in Advanced Software Engineering in UCD. I like the structure where the content is delivered all at once in a single week. I'd love to hear back from anyone doing the course and their thoughts on the quality of the content and delivery. The modules seem quite relevant to industry. Thoughts?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gowldoleer

Hi priorylodge,
    I did the part-time version of that course a couple of years ago. I was happy with it overall, the modules are a bit of a mixed bag in terms of usefulness, some were very relevant to me and some not at all. I too was drawn to the intensive 1 module per week format and this works really well if you have no other distractions during the weeks in question.
    I also came from an engineering background so that was my reason for doing it too. Most of the other students on the course have been in industry for a while, I think I met only one who had come straight from finishing an undergrad.
    If you want to tell me what modules you are interested in, I can tell you a bit about the ones I did, they are all quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Did doing the course effect your evenings after work? Weekends? Outside of the weeks where you're attending lectures was the work load for the Masters high?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gowldoleer

The work load on evenings/weekends, and outside of the "module weeks" was not bad.

For some modules it was necessary to complete the whole thing in the week. Eg (Knowledge-based Techniques for Industrial Systems, Managing Software in Production). But there's an exam in May that you need to study for.

Others more mostly completed in the week, but then there was a term paper to be submitted some weeks/months later, instead of an exam (Comparative Software Eng Process Frameworks)

Then others had a term paper to be completed outside of the week, AND an exam in May (Design Patterns)

So it depends on what subjects you pick. I can only tell you about the 6 I did.
    Computational Network Analysis and Modelling and Agent-Oriented Software were the other two I did. I mainly picked subjects which suited the weeks I was available for.

Advertisement