Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsie hill climb challenge 2018 - Howth TT

• 21-02-2018 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

So after some discussion here

It's proposed to run a hill climb up this segement on Sunday March 25th at 10 am (open to suggestions on this)

Timing will be by means of Strava....eh, not sure else what else needs to be said, think that's all!

So, who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Sunday's are reserved exclusively for road racing for me, I'll be busy getting my backside handed to me at the Des Hanlon!

So I will be handing over the title to someone else for this year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's howth, the only debate would be village side or sutton side.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I would guess people are more likely to be blocked by pedestrians/traffic if going from village side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

if it's howth, the only debate would be village side or sutton side.

Or village side up to the right of the church!

Sunday's are reserved exclusively for road racing for me, I'll be busy getting my backside handed to me at the Des Hanlon!

So I will be handing over the title to someone else for this year!

Dang. If that's the case for others, maybe Saturday is better? Otherwise you can have a crack at it later that day (an advantage of timing via strava)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Probably Racing. If not I’ll show up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Or village side up to the right of the church!
    well, it is a hill climb challenge. a challenge needs to be a challenge.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Probably Racing. If not I’ll show up.
    this *is* a race.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

10 on a sunday in Howth is probably not the best time to do it. It would need to be earlier really. Howth gets busy,.

Anyway, I say both sides up to the summit each time, with best aggregate time declared the winner

this *is* a race.

First IVCA race of the year I think. I only get so many passes and must use them wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’m in , Sutton side up would surely make sense . No traffic lights etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm away that weekend, if it's decided to go on the Saturday I'd do it early to give you all a laugh at my time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm out of the country that weekend (25th), but like last year I'll post a "right I'd better start training" effort in the following week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

colm18 wrote: »
    Otherwise you can have a crack at it later that day (an advantage of timing via strava)

Later that day? :eek:

You've got a sense of humour Colm, the chances of me doing the Des (150k) and then cycling the 55k round trip to Howth later that day are slim!

Later that day? :eek:

You've got a sense of humour Colm, the chances of me doing the Des (150k) and then cycling the 55k round trip to Howth later that day are slim!

It'll give the rest of us a chance ;-)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm up for it. May not be able to make it for 10 but should be able to tackle it later in the day if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Galego

I am in. I am likely to come last too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

daragh_ wrote:
    First IVCA race of the year I think. I only get so many passes and must use them wisely.

Are the races for the ivca listed yet?

Are the races for the ivca listed yet?

No. I’m guessing from last years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Where we to have a downhill version Colm?

• Advertisement

What's 'downhill'? :p I'll leave that up to you to organise you nutter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

What's 'downhill'? :p I'll leave that up to you to organise you nutter :D

Ah I'm up to my eyes training...more a summer thing i would imagine;):cool:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How's everyone's training going?

Uh oh. I meant to delete this thread.

How's everyone's training going?

Go up there a fair bit . Struggling to break 9mins in training with the wind lately blowing the wrong way . Should be nearer 8min , so not great

I sense apathy (mainly from myself). Anyone still up for this? I haven't actually cycled up a hill fast in about 6 months so potential embarrassment awaits.

I'm still going to do it.

I might do it if it's Sunday, tomorrow I've set myself the target of Lovers Leap lane, which though short, broke me last time.

That depends on the roads as well though

Cool. I'll give it a bash 10am Sunday - https://www.strava.com/segments/7312602

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If im back before darkness on sunday ill give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A long ride in different direction planned on Sunday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've 357 km done this year.
    Can't seem to shake off these flu like symptoms so no chance of me making it.
    Maybe next month ill give it a try.

Probably be more like 1pm before I can tackle it.

I've 357 km done this year.

It's just another 2.5 km, c'mon, don't make it such a big deal and give a few good folks satisfaction of beating a top climber :D :P

Alek wrote: »
    It's just another 2.5 km, c'mon, don't make it such a big deal and give a few good folks satisfaction of beating a top climber :D :P

Its the 20 km from my house to Howth that i wouldn't be able for.
    7.58 up there is my best time(with a backpack on) so i'm sure it could be beaten.

• Advertisement

sunday is probably not a good day for me. plus, i've barely put the miles in in the last few weeks or months.
    if anyone can think of any more excuses i can use, please suggest them.

Its the 20 km from my house to Howth that i wouldn't be able for.
    7.58 up there is my best time(with a backpack on) so i'm sure it could be beaten.

My best is 10.01. The symmetry is the best thing about it. A few months ago, I'd have certainly gone up it faster, now, I have rediscovered a fondness of cake and biscuits I'd managed to park for much of last year.

sunday is probably not a good day for me. plus, i've barely put the miles in in the last few weeks or months.
    if anyone can think of any more excuses i can use, please suggest them.

Didn’t Shep the collie eat your Garmin ??

it's worth remembering, folks, that weight is key for hillclimbing.

wear a heavy backpack - the more you weigh, the greater your momentum and kinetic energy, and the more that will help carry you up the hill.

Weepsie wrote: »
    My best is 10.01. The symmetry is the best thing about it. A few months ago, I'd have certainly gone up it faster, now, I have rediscovered a fondness of cake and biscuits I'd managed to park for much of last year.

I've put on 4kg since the New Year. After finishing last year really well, a short break off the bike for a rest has turned into a bloody nightmare. Hoping to have a good rest over the weekend and for it also to be alcohol free so i might try Tuesday.

• Advertisement

it's worth remembering, folks, that weight is key for hillclimbing.

wear a heavy backpack - the more you weigh, the greater your momentum and kinetic energy, and the more that will help carry you up the hill.

I think I'm back to the weight I was around this time last year. I had been down to just under 73 kg for the first time in probably 15 years. It was all for this weekend, and then I got really lazy.

I've only been up 3 times with wildly varying times of 8:07, 9:55 and 11:26...I reckon I'll be closer to 10 minutes than 8 on Sunday

My best of 8:04 was wind assisted, it seems :)

https://mywindsock.com/activity/311511953/

Alek wrote: »
    My best of 8:04 was wind assisted, it seems :)

https://mywindsock.com/activity/311511953/

Just checked - mine too: https://mywindsock.com/activity/330191761#32205631369/

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek too,good motivation)

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek too,good motivation)

It wasn't a chase, you've just left me there ...

[quote="colm18

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek [/quote]

Was there an inyourendo in what I said?

For those attempting it ; remember it must be from a standing start ;-)

For those attempting it ; remember it must be from a standing start ;-)

Does the segment start after the lights? They can mess up a time rather easily if not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Sunday would suit me best

• Advertisement
Advertisement