Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade to a much nicer apartment yes or no

Options
  • 19-01-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Living alone and renting a 1 bedroom apartment in waterford for 600 a month. Its a bog standard apartment but its a bit drab to be honest . Im thinking of moving into a 2 bedroom for 1100 which is an absolute palace . Im earning 4000k a month net so I can well afford it .What you reckon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Living alone and renting a 1 bedroom apartment in waterford for 600 a month. Its a bog standard apartment but its a bit drab to be honest . Im thinking of moving into a 2 bedroom for 1100 which is an absolute palace . Im earning 4000k a month net so I can well afford it .What you reckon

That's a lot. Why do u need a second room? Dunno really waste of money imo. But its not my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Minime2.5 wrote:
    Im earning 4000k a month net so I can well afford it .What you reckon

If you're on 4 million a month then buy your own mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

save up and buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Stay where you are.

Save for a deposit.

On 4K take home in Waterford you’d save it in a year.

Buy a decent place.

Absolute no brainer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why are you renting if you are on 4K net a month?

Not everyone wants, needs or should buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They should be earning more next week as they were earning 500 less last week..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112294221&postcount=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Truckermal wrote: »
    They should be earning more next week as they were earning 500 less last week..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112294221&postcount=21

Take the rent off and round slightly and he is being consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not everyone's 'income' is suitable for a mortgage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you find the apartment drab, save up and buy a property,
    you could certainly afford to buy a house or a large 2 bed apartment
    on that income.
    i just think one of the advantage,s of a high income is you can choose where
    to live, and you can afford to pay a mortgage .
    when you buy a house you can put in new floors,
    windows, etc carpets, in a rental unit you have to put up whatever basic decoration,furniture , the landlord has selected .
    i understand you may be self employed so it,s harder to get a mortgage,
    vs joe blogs who works in an office .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Talk to your current landlord and agree to decorate the place as you like. Buy your own furniture and make the place your own. Any landlord will agree if you up the deposit or come to an agreement.
    Even if the extra deposit is kept you will still have saved yourself money and have your own furniture to your tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

riclad wrote: »
    IF you find the apartment drab, save up and buy a property,
    you could certainly afford to buy a house or a large 2 bed apartment
    on that income.

i just think one of the advantage,s of a high income is you can choose where
    to live, and you can afford to pay a mortgage .
    when you buy a house you can put in new floors,
    windows, etc carpets, in a rental unit you have to put up whatever basic decoration,furniture , the landlord has selected .
    i understand you may be self employed so it,s harder to get a mortgage,
    vs joe blogs who works in an office .

You'd be surprised about all the hurdles you find on your way if you're a single person wanting to buy. I'm on a very similar income and "nice places" in "nice locations" are pretty much out of reach as I couldn't get much more than 250k as a mortgage (the 3.5 rule). I'd need to settle on something low-level, or in an area badly served/not served at all by transport. Or Ballymun...

However, it's probably much more doable outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    You'd be surprised about all the hurdles you find on your way if you're a single person wanting to buy. I'm on a very similar income and "nice places" in "nice locations" are pretty much out of reach as I couldn't get much more than 250k as a mortgage (the 3.5 rule). I'd need to settle on something low-level, or in an area badly served/not served at all by transport. Or Ballymun...

Just read another thread about an older person who has to leave their rented flat because the owner has to sell. It's not a nice place to be in at that age.

buying outside your preferred area now doesn't mean you can't move later on. Years ago people thought paying rent was dead money & tried to buy as soon as possible so holidays nice cars clothes etc had to wait which is what we did. Not everyone can though but a bit of struggle in 20/30's has to be easier than at 60/70 but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

H3llR4iser wrote: »

is that 3.5 include shift and oncall payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

is that 3.5 include shift and oncall payments?

I have nothing of the sort - it's a fixed annual, and that's it. In fairness, I have no idea about how they consider the "variable" part of the salary for people who have overtime, on-call etc.

You can buy a small house in dublin 1 or 2 ,city centre area, for 200-250k,
    certainly a small house with 2 bedrooms.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/property-for-sale/dublin-1,dublin-2/?s%5Bmxp%5D=250000
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dublin-1/28-sherrard-avenue-dublin-1-dublin-2372697/
    banks look at wages ,savings. Have you 20 per cent deposit.
    I think they just ignore overtime income as that could change in a year,s time.
    its not an exact no.they lend 3 to 3.5 times your salary.

Id love to replace the blinds and the couch but my issue is id have to leave them in the appartment when im leaving. Whats currently there isnt worth F all

Id love to replace the blinds and the couch but my issue is id have to leave them in the appartment when im leaving. Whats currently there isnt worth F all

Better view of blind in my room

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Quick look in Waterford and you could have something like this https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/davis-street-dungarvan-waterford/4348077 for €85,000. Then you could do what you like, but if you are happy renting then just pay out and get yourself a few nice bits (ok with landlord first). there are some nice FREE sofas on Adverts if you don't want spend, blinds aren't that expensive either. But based on your take home pay you'd be crazy not to try save and buy your own place.

You can buy a large 3 bed house in waterford with a garden and parking space for less than the price of a small 1 bed apartment in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Tell the landlord to replace them they are broken due to normal wear and tear. As I said you could buy your own and take them with you. Blinds you can't but they are pretty cheap.

Talk to the landlord. I would remove the sofa for you let you buy your own which you could take with you. Did it before and then bought the sofa of them when they left as they didn't want it and I needed one. Less likely to up rent if no costs in a year. Won't hurt to ask

• Advertisement
Advertisement