Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Slanty wrote:
    Absolute terrible reply. He made a perfect point and you reply with that!

So horseshyte/ douche are prefect words to use in reply? Thanks but I'll choose to ignore your opinion on what constitutes a perfect point .

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

So horseshyte/ douche are prefect words to use in reply? Thanks but I'll choose to ignore your opinion on what constitutes a perfect point .

And again you still carry on with your bluff.

Why don’t you make a point or at least say something that is of interest to me and the readers👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Any chance some of ye would google Reid IDA. A few yrs of court cases and state bodies abusing their powers and trying to buy you out of your own house for some multinational to come in would have you singing a different tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Any chance some of ye would google Reid IDA. A few yrs of court cases and state bodies abusing their powers and trying to buy you out of your own house for some multinational to come in would have you singing a different tune.

a year or two on the dole as an unemployed young graduate facing the prospect of having to move abroad due to a lack of jobs locally and your hard earned skills slowly going rusty might also change some tunes.

ah sure lookit, it doesn't matter really. we've got plenty of money already. let somewhere else have the jobs. be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's an oddball and everyone knows it. Anyone sensibly advised, would have skinned them for top drawer compensation by now and be long gone to a new house some place beautiful. A home is just a building until you put people in it anyway.

Too many serial objectors in this State are frankly wasting their lives and making themselves ill resisting the irresistible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Probably because of the individual landowners getting fcuked over by the powers that be in the past. Land is a very sensitive issue in this country.

It’s high time we got over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ardillaun wrote: »
    It’s high time we got over that.

Got over what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

He probably is a bit of an odd ball and I've no idea if his current objection is valid or not. But his previous one made perfect sense. We should not allow the government to CPO land for a private company who would happily up sticks and leave up high and dry in a few years. It's a massive abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

dresden8 wrote: »
    Rich man says "Gimme".

We are obliged to give.

Nah, I don't think so.
    "We" are the being gerenal society that would benefit greatly from such an investment both in direct or indirect jobs?

Or "we" being land owners that benefit ourselves by just holding land for own personal, private use that unlikely produces any significant gain for the general population?

Or "we" who just want to kick the "establishment" just because you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

greencap wrote: »

ah sure lookit, it doesn't matter really. we've got plenty of money already. let somewhere else have the jobs. be grand.

You're suggesting something that no one else is. What most people want, on this thread that I can see, is for this man to have his objection heard as is his right. If the council and courts reject it then so be it and Intel can fire away.

If the issue is the time that this will delay and the possibility of Intel pulling the plug, that's not this man's fault but the fault of the state for the time the process takes. Speed up the process and there won't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Looks like a ‘vexatious’ type ‘submission’ / observation/objection. Hand written With no expert consultant employed by him.....unlikely that Kildare co co will refuse based on this......but most likely he will appeal this to ABP and if that fails he could go for judicial review process.......all this will pro-long / delay the decion thus risking intel ‘throwing the toys out of the pram’ and opting to make the most investment in Israel.....if this scenario transpired then objector deem his efforts a success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

You could ask him instead of branding him crazy.

I have met and spoken to the guy on a few occasions. Crazy would be a fair comment IMO. Doesnt mean he is wrong though, but he is not what I would call a reasonable human either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

worded wrote: »
    Why did he hand write the objection? Seems odd in this day and age to “formally”
    Object to something in casual hand writing. If he doesn’t use a computer couldnt he paid a secretarial service to type it for him.

Its not like he is objecting to a neighbours conservatory extension, it’s a 6 billion investment that will create 1000s of jobs.
    FFS who cares how the objection was written.
    Surely if something is handwritten it shows a little more thought has gone into it, unlike some typed out inane internet post!
    Slanty wrote: »
    He is being stubborn and restricting the country of much needed investment.
    He is not doing anything of the sort. He is objecting to a development. If the grounds for objection are valid then is he not right to object? The developer can then address those issues if they plan on reapplying.
    Take the money, move to a new plot of land and you have wealth to look after your family for decades.

Selfish
    Like many farmers, he doesn't want to sell. Nor should he have to.
    It has nothing to do with selfishness so maybe educate yourself before trying to denigrate the man.

if he has legitimate reasons then thats what the planning process is all about.
    if its just plain krankiness and awkwardness then thats a different thing.
    If it is legitimate then the planning authority will see it and incude it in their decision making.
    If it is just an old crank then it will be ignored within the process.
    The man, like any other objector, has a full right to lodge an objection.

however, if he does prevent thousands of his fellow Irish men and women from having prosperity then that will have been his lifes purpose and legacy.
    How has he prevented thousands of people from prosperity?
    By following a legal route open to every citizen? By standing his gound against a neighbour who in the past, along with the IDA has attempted to take his farm and his livleihood?
    Indeed, I'm sure that it would be great if Intel were to expand but they have to follow the correct channels. This stupid view that "it's a big development with potentially lots of jobs and nobody should be allowed object" should not exist. Every development should be allowed to be scrutinised and criticised for any of its faults, especially a private company who are answerable only to their shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The IDA enjoy way too much clout in this country. Yes, they've been good at attracting jobs over the years - but they pretty much concoct economic policy in this country (and not the Minister / competent department), has effectively been a one-trick pony since the 60s, is running out of mileage in 2019, and doesn't look too clever whenever the American economy craps itself. They tell the multinationals they'll get them whatever they want, and often end up lobbying for labour laws that are advantageous to the large corporation and against the worker.

One of these untouchable state agencies, because TDs think one day they'll land in Ballymcspudeen with HyperMegaGlobalCorp and 5'000 jobs. Kind of like buying a euromillions ticket.

We live in a democracy, not an FDI dictatorship. If I had my way, I'd bury the term "Ireland Inc."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Easy to say when it's not your family home and legacy. It's a complex situation.

That first statement was once true of all land. It can't be enshrined in principle or we will implode as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

And :confused:

Again the application has nothing to do with his land.

doesn't make what I said wrong

Slanty wrote:
    Why don’t you make a point or at least say something that is of interest to me and the readersðŸ‘

Wasn't aware I had to entertain you, thanks for the heads up.

Bio Mech wrote:
    I have met and spoken to the guy on a few occasions. Crazy would be a fair comment IMO. Doesnt mean he is wrong though, but he is not what I would call a reasonable human either.

I believe you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yurt! wrote: »
    The IDA enjoy way too much clout in this country. Yes, they've been good at attracting jobs over the years - but they pretty much concoct economic policy in this country (and not the Minister / competent department), has effectively been a one-trick pony since the 60s, is running out of mileage in 2019, and doesn't look too clever whenever the American economy craps itself. They tell the multinationals they'll get them whatever they want, and often end up lobbying for labour laws that are advantageous to the large corporation and against the worker.

One of these untouchable state agencies, because TDs think one day they'll land in Ballymcspudeen with HyperMegaGlobalCorp and 5'000 jobs. Kind of like buying a euromillions ticket.

We live in a democracy, not an FDI dictatorship. If I had my way, I'd bury the term "Ireland Inc."

Actually Ireland has a remarkably democratic planning process where all sorts of crank objections are entertained

Farmers who "loose" land for development are extremely well compensated, I have a small bit of land ( let out) and I'd love if a big corporation offered to buy it, I'd turn around and buy golden Vale land in munster

How has he prevented thousands of people from prosperity?
    By following a legal route open to every citizen? By standing his gound against a neighbour who in the past, along with the IDA has attempted to take his farm and his livleihood?
    Indeed, I'm sure that it would be great if Intel were to expand but they have to follow the correct channels. This stupid view that "it's a big development with potentially lots of jobs and nobody should be allowed object" should not exist. Every development should be allowed to be scrutinised and criticised for any of its faults, especially a private company who are answerable only to their shareholders.

yeah thats all great, but ultimately if he prevents the jobs then he prevents the jobs.

its his call, and its what he'll be remembered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

By the sounds of most you would think they are breaking into his house and throwing him out.
    He is being stubborn and restricting the country of much needed investment.

Take the money, move to a new plot of land and you have wealth to look after your family for decades.

Selfish

Not often you hear someone decried as selfish for refusing money!

I say fair play to him, fúck Intel - who the hell do they think they are flexing their muscles and getting one of their weaselly politician friends to try and seize land owned by an Irish citizen to make themselves money!

They have the resources to pay him double, treble, ten times, 100 times the going rate - but instead they tried to be smart arses and force his arm. Now he's likely just out for revenge - and why not, a little bit of revenge every now and then is good for the soul.

CPO's are supposed to be for vital national infrastructure - not to safeguard the profits of foreign companies, however big they might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I say fair play to him, fúck Intel -

It's the likes of Intel that are the reason Ireland doesn't look like an economic basket case such as Greece.

Our planning process gives far too much power to the cranks and nimbys of this country and we are losing out on investment opportunities because of this.

The national good need to be put ahead of narrow self-interest.

CPO's are supposed to be for vital national infrastructure - not to safeguard the profits of foreign companies, however big they might be.

yeah i think 8 billion investment and thousands of jobs might just go under the 'vital' category.

It's the likes of Intel that are the reason Ireland doesn't look like an economic basket case such as Greece.

Our planning process gives far too much power to the cranks and nimbys of this country and we are losing out on investment opportunities because of this.

The national good need to be put ahead of narrow self-interest.

I don't dispute they've had an enormous effect on the economy and the country as a whole. But lets drop the self flagellation, it wasn't an act of charity - they get just as much in return. If it wasn't suiting them, they'd up and leave, we owe them nothing!

Any company (foreign or domestic) seeking to compel someone to sell their property is a huge overstepping of the mark as far as I'm concerned.
    If they want the land, out with the damn cheque book, if he doesn't want to accept their offer so be it, they can then up the price or build elsewhere - they absolutely should not ever get to say - tough shít, I want it , so I'm taking it.

I don't know much about the merits of this objection - but his last one I support 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

From my understanding he doesn't want to give up his farm/land that has being in his family for generations.

Yep - family ownership all the way back to 1900! Deep in the Celtic mist and long, long before Saint Patrick came to Inchicore (in the form of a League of Ireland club).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

yeah i think 8 billion investment and thousands of jobs might just go under the 'vital' category.

Not for some. They'd much prefer to gnaw raw turnips around their windswept bonfires and moan about the bloody Vikings.

Possibly, possibly not.

As I said I don't know the ins and outs of this one - my issue is with their CPO attempt. 8 billion, 80 billion, or 8 euro doesn't make a difference to that one - it's either right or it's wrong, and I believe it's wrong.

• Advertisement

Yep - family ownership all the way back to 1900! Deep in the Celtic mist and long, long before Saint Patrick came to Inchicore (in the form of a League of Ireland club).

It doesn't matter if he owned it since the previous evening, the point was he owned it, they didn't. Surely you can see that.

You can't have commercial entities just taking peoples stuff because they want to.

Would you like it if Tesco decided your house was going to be their new frozen food aisle, regardless of whether you wanted it to be or not?

Advertisement