Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nlrkjos wrote: »
    If the guy had any sense he'd put temporary accommodation blocks on his land and make a fortune from construction workers.
    Intel would bar any of their workers from living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Force wads of cash through his letterbox if needed, but it has to be done legally. It's a matter of principle for the country, not just an individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

nlrkjos wrote:
    That's the kind of attitude that allows fracking. Its the same attitude that poisoned rivers from chemical run-offs, landfills that destroy the water tables,progress can be regressive. If the guy had any sense he'd put temporary accommodation blocks on his land and make a fortune from construction workers.

Not everyone is driven by money.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The man doesn't have a family ie kids as far as I know so it's not for future generations of his own family he's fighting for. He seems to be fighting on matters of principal as he sees them.

50eu says he'll be found with a suicide note and two gunshots to the back of the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, that's just it. If he had kids, he would've sold up by now, to ensure his kids are set for life. But from the look of it, he's going to stay in the farm until he dies, as he has nothing else to do.

Maybe although most farmers I know, including my brother, would rather die than not pass on his farm to his children. Would feel he had totally failed himself, future and past generations to be the one that let it go. (It's a land thing as opposed to a money thing.)Whereas as a single man without dependants, well then he might as well sell up and see the world kind of thing. But anyway this particular man is definitely not for turning and is as you say there for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Cut all the lovely eu farming grants and subsidies these .... people get for the privilege of being rich and owning loads of land... make him have to actually earn his money... he might consider selling his land for a reasonable profit then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Maybe although most farmers I know, including my brother, would rather die than not pass on his farm to his children.

The thing is.... If this guy had a more business focussed mind he would realise that intel are constricted on 3 sides and his land is the open fourth side suitable for further expansion.

He could drive a hard enough bargain with Intel that he could drive the 3 minutes over to Maynooth or Celbridge and buy himself a bloody massive farm 3 or 4 times the size to replace it. :pac:

But he wont.

LillySV wrote:
    Cut all the lovely eu farming grants and subsidies these .... people get for the privilege of being rich and owning loads of land... make him have to actually earn his money... he might consider selling his land for a reasonable profit then

Whose going to implement the cuts? Politicians? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe although most farmers I know, including my brother, would rather die than not pass on his farm to his children. Would feel he had totally failed himself, future and past generations to be the one that let it go. (It's a land thing as opposed to a money thing.)
    I doubt it. If your brother found he could treble the size of his farm, on better land, with get a free house, new farm machinery, and more animals, with money to put his children through college, I'd say he'd take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

His reasons;

Badly written ramblings...

Happy to go back to referring to him as "crazy":D

• Advertisement

I doubt it. If your brother found he could treble the size of his farm, on better land, with get a free house, new farm machinery, and more animals, with money to put his children through college, I'd say he'd take it.

You're right. that would be the wise thing to do. But this guy doesn't have a family anyway so no need to expand for the future and probably is sentimentally attached to his own farm. Can they not go around him and basically leave him alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Strikes me as a crazy vendetta because the IDA tried CPO his land.

They haven't CPO'ed his land because he won so I don't see why 1,000's of jobs should be put at risk.
    they have changed the law to allow the IDA CPO the land, and then... hand it over to Intel.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2018-03-28a.547
    can you do a bit of research...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

they have changed the law to allow the IDA CPO the land, and then... hand it over to Intel.

can you do a bit of research...

They did not CPO his land, fact.

This application has NOTHING to do with the "farmer's" land.

By your logic then Intel can NEVER build on it's own site again due to this man.

What the hell is he objecting for? You see the bs letters.

Can they not go around him and basically leave him alone ?

The application has nothing to do with his land. It's on Intel's own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

They did not CPO his land, fact.

This application has NOTHING to do with the "farmer's" land.

By your logic then Intel can NEVER build on it's own site again due to this man.

What the hell is he objecting for? You see the bs letters.
    they have changed the law to allow the IDA CPO the land
    Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...
    ...for the 7th separate occasion since 2012!
    you connected the previous cases with this case

The application has nothing to do with his land. It's on Intel's own land.

Oh right. So then his objections likely won't carry too much weight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Just move!!

they have changed the law to allow the IDA CPO the land

And :confused:

Again the application has nothing to do with his land.

Slanty wrote:
    Just move!!

That's a big ask of Intel, can't see them taking your suggestion on board tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

That's a big ask of Intel, can't see them taking your suggestion on board tbh.

If the country keeps allowing this kind of messing you just might.

• Advertisement

greencap wrote:
    If the country keeps allowing this kind of messing you just might.

So you want to suspend constitutional rights in favour of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Why did he hand write the objection? Seems odd in this day and age to “formally”
    Object to something in casual hand writing. If he doesn’t use a computer couldnt he paid a secretarial service to type it for him.

Its not like he is objecting to a neighbours conservatory extension, it’s a 6 billion investment that will create 1000s of jobs.

By the sounds of most you would think they are breaking into his house and throwing him out.
    He is being stubborn and restricting the country of much needed investment.

Take the money, move to a new plot of land and you have wealth to look after your family for decades.

Selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭worded

Is he part of the contented classs?

McWilliams recent article

Contented classes’ could be biggest threat to Irish economy

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/contented-classes-could-be-biggest-threat-to-irish-economy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Anyone find the actual appeal online? I didnt find it by searching intel planning applications made to Kildare Co Council.

I found with a different planning appeal that made the news (and was in that case upheld) that the actual appeal was different to what was put across in reports.

One nice thing about a fab is that once it's there, it's there. The construction costs are so great that relocating operations to a cheaper location is unlikely to be financially viable, the way it was for Dell to relocate their factory from Limerick for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if he has legitimate reasons then thats what the planning process is all about.
    if its just plain krankiness and awkwardness then thats a different thing.

So you want to suspend constitutional rights in favour of business?

No, I want one douchebag to put aside his 'family land' horse shyt, take a fair payment, and make way so that thousands of other Irish people can have prosperous futures.

where is the heroism in preventing thousands of jobs.

just cause you have every right to piss in the towns water well doesn't mean that you should.

greencap wrote:
    No, I want one douchebag to put aside his 'family land' horse shyt, take a fair payment, and make way so that thousands of other Irish people can have prosperous futures.

Pity what you want means sweet feck all tbh.

Absolute terrible reply. He made a perfect point and you reply with that!

• Advertisement

well thats true.

however, if he does prevent thousands of his fellow Irish men and women from having prosperity then that will have been his lifes purpose and legacy.

Advertisement