Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade machine for the house

Options
  • 24-08-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Some of the irish fighting game guys and i are coming together to buy some astro city arcade machines. Currently there are 4 machines for sale at 300 euros each.

If anybody is interested check out this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022373

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bargain!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Great price assuming the cabs are in reasonable shape especially the monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Love one but dear lord see the way they are being shipped, :) Thats abuse :)

Master of the Universe

Worrying alright. Even the act of stacking them like that would have to result in some marks/scratches/cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I wouldn't be putting a penny down without seeing more pictures, cab standing up and plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not trying to put a downer on this as I wouldn't mind throwing €300 down but I'd be worried about VAT, Customs clearance, terminal handling, ageny fee, security fee.
    That €1400 shipping could soon rise to €2500 when you pay all the above, has anyone contacted the agent in Dublin that will receive the goods as its not like getting a package in the post, I've imported large parts from China, USA, japan before and you usually need to factor in €500-€1000 depending on alot of things.
    That could bring the machines to €510+ each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Chunkis, that is a good point...has all vat and custom taxes been factored into this dealio. I just presumed it had but get it contact with the dude that's receiving the goods at the port..or is that you? If so contact seller to see if he's sorted it.
    Good luck man 300€ for a shipped Astro will be a dream come true.

Anyway another pic of mine with VF5 to get people tempted
    :)
    w97m.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm going to take a punt on this.
    Early christmas present for myself (at least thats how I'll justify it to her indoors)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

20130820_163131.jpg
    From that thread :) What would the import taxes be?

The seller is going to find out who the agent is in Ireland and contact them on monday.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I still can't look at that photo without wincing.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I still can't look at that photo without wincing.

seriously needs some retrobrite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ugh, the poor cabs! Fair play to whoever organised it etc, but that packing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Hmmm, half thinking of having a punt on this. What are peoples opinions?

Are they easy to disassemble to get through a door or will there be complications?

Master of the Universe

Whether the bolts are rusted or not will play a big part in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Whether the bolts are rusted or not will play a big part in it :D
    You're not filling me with confidence here...! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You're not filling me with confidence here...! :D

Pyongyang got an NAC where the bolts were rusted so he had to drill them out before being able to open the cab up and get it indoors. Got new bolts for it. Actually that cab has since passed on to someone else afaik. I think the whole front comes off including control panel, almost like the cab is split in half when looking at it side on.

But that was just one experience, I'm sure other folks had no problem. Not as straight forward as an AWSD or E2/E3 where the control panel alone comes off - but no big deal I would say. Being able to open up it wouldn't be the issue that puts me off one at that price - not knowing the condition of the monitor would though.

Master of the Universe

Just make sure you have the tools to take bolts out handy for when it arrives (and some plastic sheets to cover the cab up)

The bottom of the control panel is connected to the molding of the cab - so you need to remove the whole bottom panel section at the front.

You can see the seams of it here on the side. See the way the bottom of the control panel curves down into the lower section on the front of the cab.

NEW_ASTRO_CITY_3_Fighting_game_machine.jpg

Two main things worrying me about this deal now -

The way they're stacked is going to have to damage them in some way
    VAT and import duties have not been factored into the €300 price.

Worst case scenario, you end up with a cab that was damaged in transport (or had a wonky monitor to begin with) which after taxes, costs you the guts of one from Ronnie.

Best case scenario, you get a lovely NAC for a mere €300

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

the good news on the shipping is that they will replace anything that is broken if machines arrive faulty. but yeah the customs charge is definitely something to consider, is it worth it? can people afford it if it adds an extra 100 euros or more on to the cost, i mean how badly do people want a machine you know? I am not even sure i want one now, but without people coming together nobody can afford to get one and we all miss out.

its going to be 33 days or more before the machines arrive so even if you had to pay 300 this week and then an extra 100 for customs it wouldn`t really break the bank, i mean for a machine your going to pay 500 or 600 straight up or more depending on condition and then for delivery your going to pay at least 250, so thats 850 before you even put boards in it, so for people who are serious about having a machine its definitely the best option, but yeah lots to consider, i guess ill know more tomorrow when i find out how much customs is going to cost.

Master of the Universe

An Astro from Ronnie will cost you on average €500. He'll take a million pictures for you though and show you what shape the screen geometry is in. So you know exactly what you'll be getting.

Here's his website. He can source so many different cab types. Bit of a waiting list for rarer ones.

http://www.rklok.nl/

Postage is €195. So you're talking €695 in total for a machine which will come tested and working right to your front door on a palette. No risk of VAT or anything as it's in the EU.

Postage takes 4-5 days.

I would imagine your ones will come in at €400 after the VAT. So you just need to ask yourself do you want to risk it, or pay an extra €295 to have a bit more security.

You want two right? I guess the margin of difference in the price really grows when you consider two machines.

• Advertisement

The whole marking something down as a gift to avoid VAT is grand on smaller packages, I really don't think you're going to get away with it on a container of cabs though! That'd be some gift... :pac:

VAT for an item outside of the EU could be up to 23% (I think that's the figure, been a while since I checked). And that includes the postage fee as part of the calculation.

Dam right, Customs/the agency receiving the container in the port are not going to entertain 'Gift', they may even decide to value them themselves if you go that route, also if the container was rough loaded, got wet, etc there would be zero comeback.

From previous experience importing goods from China these are the figures I would expect
    10% duty on total cost inc shipping.(based on €1900=€190)
    23% vat on total cost inc shipping.(based on €1900=€437)
    Then there is customs clearance (avg.€60), terminal handling (avg.€150), agent fee (€60-€100), Equipment handover/Bill of landing (€100).
    So about an extra €1100 give or take which would bring the total cost to 2400 for 6 cabs or €500ea I also noticed there are 7 in the container
    I wonder what else will be filling that container, imagining a big jeep rolling back and forth lol

I'm interested in this group buy but I think it may only work to bring in a full container of cabs of different values some of the higher more sought after stuff too.

Master of the Universe

I'd assumed they were stacked like that as more cabs were to go in too.

So the order is for 7 cabs, but they wouldn't put them all standing up? That seems really weird to me.

I can see it now, you open the container to get the cabs and 20 Chinese people run out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Monkeykube wrote:
    I wouldn't be putting a penny down without seeing more pictures, cab standing up and plugged in.
    I agree.... We went down to the place where we bought my SUPER PACMAN arcade game and made sure it worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

An Astro from Ronnie will cost you on average €500. He'll take a million pictures for you though and show you what shape the screen geometry is in. So you know exactly what you'll be getting.

Here's his website. He can source so many different cab types. Bit of a waiting list for rarer ones.

http://www.rklok.nl/

Postage is €195. So you're talking €695 in total for a machine which will come tested and working right to your front door on a palette. No risk of VAT or anything as it's in the EU.

Postage takes 4-5 days.

I would imagine your ones will come in at €400 after the VAT. So you just need to ask yourself do you want to risk it, or pay an extra €295 to have a bit more security.

You want two right? I guess the margin of difference in the price really grows when you consider two machines.

I always wanted one of these cabs and Ronnie seems to be the man to get them from.

Could we not organise a deal with Ronnie on the basis that we buy 6 or 7 cabs or whatever?

Even if the shipping was split surely it would save us some money with quality guaranteed.

Fair play to the OP for posting this but it does seem a tad risky.

+1 Ronnie!

Master of the Universe

I was talking to a guy before on AO who has an order for 7 cabs from Ronnie coming. Might be possible to cut a deal with him.

The only thing would be the wait time. I doubt he'd have 6 or 7 Astros ready to go at once. So you'll probably need to give him a bit of time to get them ready.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Initially i was going to go for this, but its too risky, too much unknown and the way they are stacked up, jaysus! if i ever was to get one, in a group buy on here, i wouldnt mind paying extra for peace of mind. If a arcade and retro group buy like this from ronnie ever comes up id be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I was talking to a guy before on AO who has an order for 7 cabs from Ronnie coming. Might be possible to cut a deal with him.

The only thing would be the wait time. I doubt he'd have 6 or 7 Astros ready to go at once. So you'll probably need to give him a bit of time to get them ready.

More time for us (me) to save the money....
    Sounds good.

Master of the Universe

Also more time to research into Japanese cabs and realize you want something rarer and far more expensive - trust me, just avoid doing this :D

• Advertisement

Then you end up with this in your dining room :)

20130822_202333.jpg

Advertisement