Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much!

Options
  • 22-02-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I was dealing with the house insurance today and I was adding on my camera gear to the cover, when asked the approx value I said about €4500/€5000.
    I was then asked to do an itemized list with a total to replace my gear and send it to the insurer.

Did I get a shock, to replace body, lenses, tripod(with ballhead) and a set of filters(Lee) it came to over €8000!
    That's not including camera bag and other bits and pieces.
    I sure any semi-pro/ pros will have done this before and are not surprised but everyone should make that list, I bet they'd get quite a shock when they realize the value of the gear they carry around with them.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Arrrh when I was a lad we just used to get and old shoe box and make a pinhole camera. None of this fancy stuff and bothering with insurance.

It was hard but we were happy.

Tell the young photographers that today and they will not believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

CabanSail wrote: »
    Arrrh when I was a lad we just used to get and old shoe box and make a pinhole camera. None of this fancy stuff and bothering with insurance.

It was hard but we were happy.

Tell the young photographers that today and they will not believe you.

I suppose you'll tell us you had shoes as well.?...wimp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I suppose you'll tell us you had shoes as well.?...wimp ;)

wait ... shoe boxes had SHOES IN THEM ? I thought you were meant to wear the boxes on your feet :eek: That was the choice though, camera or something to put on your feet. Of course, there's no evidence. It's not as though we could afford film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Film? Film?

It was down the mines for us 23 hours a day digging for the Silver Oxide to make the emulsion. Then we had to make the plates under a red candle while drinking hot tar.

Good job no one on here goes in for drama;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

We couldn't even afford shoe boxes, we had to use pinhole cameras to store our shoes.

When I say "Shoe Boxes" it was old Newspaper which had wrapped shoes at one time so were Shoe Boxes to us. We had to use it like Paper Mache to make a box.

CabanSail wrote: »
    When I say "Shoe Boxes" it was old Newspaper which had wrapped shoes at one time so were Shoe Boxes to us. We had to use it like Paper Mache to make a box.

Took you 5 days from the last post to think that one up...well done;)

I've a lot of camera equipment, probably too much and it's in a camera bag. I usually leave my shoe boxes in the shoe shop.ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much is too much?
    the answer is when you own lenses - and cameras, actually - you've never even used.

474141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

how much is too much?
    the answer is when you own lenses - and cameras, actually - you've never even used.

474141.jpg

Someday I'll have to do the same thing with all the crap I've accumulated over the last few years. It's ... extensive ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

how much is too much?

What's that pinhole camera at the front?

I've shot about 3 rolls in my Mamiya 7II and only got around to developing one of them. That's over the space of three years.

I sold my Fuji GA645 to make space and also fund another camera purchase.

Trying to run film through most of my cameras lately.
    I've got them developed but haven't got around to scanning.
    I've lost my copy of Silverfast that came with my scanner.

Brought my Yashica T4 with a roll of Ektar away on holidays recently.
    I'd forgotten how liberating it is to not have a screen to review photos!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's called a noon pinhole camera, i think made by a guy in poland, was a present from my wife.
    it can be changed between 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12. the bastard thing about it is remembering what format you've selected say a week after you've loaded it.

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Noon_Panoramic_Pinhole_Camera

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I have a zero image pinhole camera, takes 120 but can't remember if it's 6x9 or something else.
    Really nice camera that I must start using again. Just wish I had spent the extra on the version that takes a cable release for the shutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So how much of that wonderful collection is for sale? :D you know, to help reduce your insurance costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I was adding on my camera gear to the cover, when asked the approx value I said about €4500/€5000.

Is that not the wife, significant other price?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Is that not the wife, significant other price?

Yes it is, yes it is.......;)

Advertisement