Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to speed up Lightroom?

Options
  • 25-02-2019 9:56am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I love Lightroom but it annoys me how slow it is. Even just changing between photos takes half a seconds, it's ridiculous it should be instant. I'm not concerned with importing and exporting being slow - I just leave it and do something else, but I want to speed up navigation between shots for rating etc. Can anyone suggest how?

My pc is a good new years old but it's still an i5, 8gb ram and an SSD. The Lightroom catalogue is not on the SSD however, so I was thinking of buying a second one, you can get 120gb ssd's for cheap.

Someone else mentioned the previews etc can be adjusted to load faster - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Zascar wrote: »
    I love Lightroom but it annoys me how slow it is. Even just changing between photos takes half a seconds, it's ridiculous it should be instant. I'm not concerned with importing and exporting being slow - I just leave it and do something else, but I want to speed up navigation between shots for rating etc. Can anyone suggest how?

My pc is a good new years old but it's still an i5, 8gb ram and an SSD. The Lightroom catalogue is not on the SSD however, so I was thinking of buying a second one, you can get 120gb ssd's for cheap.

Someone else mentioned the previews etc can be adjusted to load faster - any ideas?

I went through this list last year and there's some good tips in it...

http://lightroomzen.com/blog/2016/5/18/10-ways-to-speed-up-adobe-lightroom-for-better-performance

What version are you using btw? The CC version periodically makes performance improvements (not that they're particularly noticeable).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

This is a good link. Thanks. My poor old 2012 iMac has definitely run its course (took 40 minutes to save and close 3 large format PS files recently) ... I'm excited to be about a day from putting my blingy new pc (i7 9700k/32GB RAM/RTX2070 GPU/M.2 SSDs etc) into operation and will be interested to see if performance will improve significantly .... (!) but I will definitely make sure I put these tips into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. More RAM. RAM is relatively cheap. 32GB, give LR 15GB to cache with.

2. NVME SSD. Those cheap SSDs give you 550MB/s at best. NVMEs give you 2-3000MB/s. Responds faster than you can click.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Myksyk wrote: »
    This is a good link. Thanks. My poor old 2012 iMac has definitely run its course (took 40 minutes to save and close 3 large format PS files recently) ... I'm excited to be about a day from putting my blingy new pc (i7 9700k/32GB RAM/RTX2070 GPU/M.2 SSDs etc) into operation and will be interested to see if performance will improve significantly .... (!) but I will definitely make sure I put these tips into play.
    Green with envy!!
    Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

ED E wrote: »
    1. More RAM. RAM is relatively cheap. 32GB, give LR 15GB to cache with.

2. NVME SSD. Those cheap SSDs give you 550MB/s at best. NVMEs give you 2-3000MB/s. Responds faster than you can click.

Wow thanks I have never heard of an NVME hard drive. I'm sure that would massively improve things and definitely a nice easy upgrade.

I had read previously that Lightroom does not need more than 8gb - but a Google bring conflicted results. Worth adding 8gb anyway probably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Green with envy!!
    Best of luck with it

Thanks Portlawslim! Bringing home this afternoon. First PC I've built myself ... great fun. Have PS/LR booting off an M.2 NVME SSD (Samsung 970 Pro) .... takes about 3 seconds for them open compared to the 2'54" (yes, I timed it) on my current Mac!! The PC boots from fully off to desktop in about 10 seconds. A lot of bells and whistles and intend to tweak it a little too to get a bit more from it.

PS hardest part of build was last night ... telling my better half! Went ok-ish ... Sorry have to go ... Next on triage list.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Built my own 6 years back, built it primarily as a gamimg PC and then got into photography and I don't game anymore. But the PC is the business for Photo editing(needs a RAM upgrade from 8gb to 16gb) Hoping to do so soon. Building your own is defo the way to go more bang for buck!
    Built one with my son for a friend of mine last summer to replace his ageing Mac He paid €2500 in total and got a 2k screen with that....Mac Killer is what he called it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I really do not like LR at all but have it for RAW's taken on iPhone. It does not seem that slow when using it on a 2016 MBP with 32GB of RAM.

I take it that the images have been loaded sometime before. Would have thought that you would only be switching between Previews. Something is nagging me that there is a setting which controls that. Seems slower than when I switch between PSD's with over 40 layers.

Advertisement