Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council response to noise complaints

Options
  • 04-05-2018 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

I have been forced to make a complaint to DLRCC Enforcement about noise from a building site (50 apartments) in the middle of a residential area.

Their permit/planning permission specifically states they can't start before 8am but we have been woken every day for weeks between 0645 and 0700. Trucks reversing, metalwork, dumping of rubble by JCBs, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with similar cases? Will the council actually do anything or am I and my neighbours in for a miserable year?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JayRoc wrote: »
    I have been forced to make a complaint to DLRCC Enforcement about noise from a building site (50 apartments) in the middle of a residential area.

Their permit/planning permission specifically states they can't start before 8am but we have been woken every day for weeks between 0645 and 0700. Trucks reversing, metalwork, dumping of rubble by JCBs, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with similar cases? Will the council actually do anything or am I and my neighbours in for a miserable year?

Thanks!

Yes, they will. They are legally oblidged to.
    They will also do one or 2 spot inspections to see if the contractor is starting early.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

You may complain to your planning enforcement section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You may complain but the time is fairly close. Dublin City hours of work are:

0700 - 1800 MOn to Fri

0800-1400 Sat.

will 15mins make much difference?

This is in DLR , but anyway, as stated in the OP, the specific permit/planning permission for this site only allows work from 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they refuse etc, there is an organisation called EPA who can contact the council and get them moving,

https://www.epa.ie/

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/forms/lic/applicationtemplates/onlineapplicationform-attachment75noiseemissions.html

I have used them to good effect in the past.

Graces7 wrote: »
    If they refuse etc, there is an organisation called EPA who can contact the council and get them moving,

https://www.epa.ie/

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/forms/lic/applicationtemplates/onlineapplicationform-attachment75noiseemissions.html

I have used them to good effect in the past.

The EPA cannot get the council moving.
    The working hours is a condition of the planning and only the council planning enforcement section can enforce the regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Just wondering is this part of the new cherrywood development ?? If so, they have been given special licences to work longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

hawkelady wrote: »
    Just wondering is this part of the new cherrywood development ?? If so, they have been given special licences to work longer

No, near Blackrock. I've seen the planning permission and permits, and they specify 8am starts Monday to Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JayRoc wrote: »
    No, near Blackrock. I've seen the planning permission and permits, and they specify 8am starts Monday to Saturday.

Worth contacting a local TD too, the council tend to react faster to them. Or post it on www.fixmystreet.ie as they tend to act quickly on anything potentially embarrassing to them in my experience

kceire wrote: »
    The EPA cannot get the council moving.
    The working hours is a condition of the planning and only the council planning enforcement section can enforce the regulations.

They have done so twice for me. When the council have started action EPA withdraw.
    All you do is contact EPA with the complaint.

They have done so twice for me. When the council have started action EPA withdraw.

That’s a contradiction.
    Once you lodge the complaint with the enforcement section, the action has started. The EPA cannot later the enforcement process as there’s a strict legal step by step that the council must follow in order to achieve a result of it goes to court.

The EPA May set recommended limits etc, but they have no powers of enforcement
    With regards to the planning and development act.

• Advertisement

The only other thing I can think of is, if you made the complaint to the EPA and they made the complaint directly to the planning authority on your behalf?

kceire wrote: »
    The only other thing I can think of is, if you made the complaint to the EPA and they made the complaint directly to the planning authority on your behalf?

That is it; and the council have to respond to them and as soon as the council engages, EPA back off.

I had been being fobbed off by the council so this was a great help.
    I got a response from the council within 24 hours of the call to EPA

Advertisement