Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bags on the seats of trains at rush hour, rudeness?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I don't have issues with this. If someone has their bag on the seat next to them I'll either ask them to move it or I'll find an empty seat. I might be sympathetic to them though. I don't like being trapped in the seat by the window by a stranger because I am only ever on the train for half an hour max, but the people who sit next to me are usually going to be on it for longer. It makes sense to me to sit on the outside and just allow someone past me to the inside seat if there are none others free. That gets rid of the fuss when I have to get off the train. It means I don't have to do the whole 'erm, can you move please?'. For the same reason if there are empty seats around me available for people to use, I might put my own bag on the outside seat to prevent anyone sitting next to me, just because it would be more fuss for them and me if they DID choose to sit next to me.
    If the train is completely full I usually just get up and stand until my stop so that commuters going longer distances can sit. But for the reasons above, I don't get annoyed when people keep their bags on seats, unless ALL available seats are full besides the one their bag is on. You never know what people's reasons are for doing things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Later on someone else got on and then asked to sit there and she said the seat was taken and that she is considerably richer than the guy who wanted to sit down and said he was welcome to sit on the floor!
    Ask them do they have a ticket for the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I find making eye contact with the latest passenger on the train/bus/plane and smiling at them non stop works better then a bag on the seat beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I find making eye contact with the latest passenger on the train/bus/plane and smiling at them non stop works better then a bag on the seat beside me.

A large set of headphones works wonders!

Just turn up the music when people get on the train and then return it to a socially acceptable level when the train moves off...brilliant tactic :P

especially in the mornings when if you have upbeat techno tunes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

CommuterIE wrote: »
    This really pisses me off, I usually get a train from town or on the Maynooth line at rush hour and the amount of people with their bags or handbags on the seat next to them is truely irritating. Some people don't ask them to move the bag, but I bloody do... sheer arrogance. What do you think of it?

I absolutely despise this. We need to bring back the conductor, especially on intercity trains. This, coupled with people occupying seats which they haven’t reserved is going to end up in a riot someday.

To fix this, seat reservations need to be mandatory, even for FTP holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

6 year old Zombie thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

df1985 wrote: »
    its been taken to a whole new level on airplanes with airlines like ryanair and no assigned seats.....people sitting in the aisle seat desperately not trying to make eye contact with other people looking for a seat!! or purposely spending ages sorting out their stuff for the overhead hold while they hope everyone else passes down by them.....

Now there is a blast from the past. The unassigned seats in Ryanair and the grand National steeplechase as 180 people rush to the plane , good times :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Del.Monte wrote: »
    6 year old Zombie thread.

Indeed. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement