Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on tyre size please

Options
  • 22-07-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am wanting to put bigger tyres on my bike but I believe I have an issue with spacing maybe I am wrong. I have linked my bike below could I may ask what is the maximum tyre width I can fit on this bike? The stock tyres are 700x32mm also does this mean they are 29" I am reading that 700c is 29". Thanks

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/seek-4-2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am wanting to put bigger tyres on my bike but I believe I have an issue with spacing maybe I am wrong. I have linked my bike below could I may ask what is the maximum tyre width I can fit on this bike? The stock tyres are 700x32mm also does this mean they are 29" I am reading that 700c is 29". Thanks

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/seek-4-2010

First off, yes 700 is 29"

Secondly, what size are you hoping to fit? There are a couple of websites that show how to measure your frame (Vernier calipers are a help here) to determine what size will fit, but to compound that, not all tyre widths are equal across manufacturers

While not the same bike, my wife has a Giant Liv Thrive that came with 28's stock, and I've switched them out for 35's with no issues, so considering that you're starting with 32's, I'd imagine you'd have no problems with 35's or 38's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

cletus wrote: »
    First off, yes 700 is 29"

Secondly, what size are you hoping to fit? There are a couple of websites that show how to measure your frame (Vernier calipers are a help here) to determine what size will fit, but to compound that, not all tyre widths are equal across manufacturers

While not the same bike, my wife has a Giant Liv Thrive that came with 28's stock, and I've switched them out for 35's with no issues, so considering that you're starting with 32's, I'd imagine you'd have no problems with 35's or 38's

Thanks for the reply. Great I wasn't to sure the size.

I am wanting to fit 38s on my bike I have 32s but the clearance between the frame behind crank is very little even with the 32s I could possibly fit them but I am not 100% sure. If not to expensive I will purchase veriner calipers and use it as a rough guide to measure as each tyre varies.

I have fitted a mid drive motor to my frame so I am now seeking new tyres to increase the ride quality next step after finding measurements is to find the right type of tyre.

I might try these and see does they fit I will ask halfords their return policy as I am not 100% if they will fit.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-land-cruiser-tyre-700x40c

Hi, just one more question before I spend money :) will 55 muguards have enough clearance with 40 tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

stevek93 wrote: »
    I have 32s but the clearance between the frame behind crank is very little even with the 32s

I would expect you would not fit 40s in that case. Take the time to measure up first.

Secondly, I would suggest something like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme rather than the chunky Land Cruisers. Likely better for comfort.

• Advertisement

[PHP][/PHP]
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    I would expect you would not fit 40s in that case. Take the time to measure up first.

Secondly, I would suggest something like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme rather than the chunky Land Cruisers. Likely better for comfort.

I checked them they have very little of road grip, I will be using the bike for work during the week and trails at the weekend. I think I will get these https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus-mtb.html

Advertisement