Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

animal with the most names in the world

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

How did the town of Ixonia, Wisconsin, get its name?

They put the letters of the alphabet on slips of paper and have young Mary Piper draw them until a name could be formed. As the result, "Ixonia" was the name given town 8 on January 21, 1846, and remains the only town bearing this name in the United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The folks of Ixonia wouldn't have been great at Countdown. You could have made a name before the 6th letter came out, whatever it was. And did they double up (some of) the letters they included, since there were two 'i's? 🤨

I'm gonna lose sleep over this...😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The simple name of I would have been perfectly cromulent and would have saved them time and effort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Already in use as a historical name for the island now known as Iona.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One of the shortest telegraphs ever sent was ? by Victor Hugo asking about sales of his latest novel Les Misérables.

At the time the advance on it for eight years publishing rights would have bought 97Kg of gold.

The reply was even shorter !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

And it would remain the only town bearing this name in the United States regardless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

You have to wonder what else they had to cut from We Were Soldiers, I had no idea Too Tall did that. I should probably read the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In 1975 De Niro was filming Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 in Italy. In prep for Taxi Driver, he’d finish shooting on a Friday in Rome, fly to New York, spend the weekend driving a cab (having obtained a license) then return to Italy to shoot the following week. This is his taxi licence. He wasn't unknown back then, he had won an Oscar in 1974 for The Godfather II. Probably impossible these days with Twitter and TikTok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Looks like one of the vehicles from Fury Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I hate that they can't even get basic facts rights. He was 81 when he died not 70. He was 70 when he received his medal of honor.

I never knew pigs can swim . There’s an island in Bahamas where you can see them , though several tourists have reported being bit by the pigs . Several different possibilities of how they got there . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Beach

They must've crossed the road to get away from the chicken!

(I'm here all week)

I used to have 2 pigs that I raised , until the father loaded them in a trailer and them and me to a butcher . Poor old pinky and porky were hit over the head with an iron bar and knifed in the throat . Rip . Pork chops and bacon for weeks .

And that's why they prefer to take a long swim.

• Advertisement

Pigs are smart and sociable . I used to pet them and they would rub up against my leg . There’s a thing about genetics that they can grow human organs or something . The fact that they can swim is mad . I would never have guessed that. I might get a pet one and hope there’s loads of truffles on the land .

Oh, I know they are, I just find heartbreaking how cruel a death many, many, many have been inflicted over the years.

But back on topic, I wonder does their fatty tissue help them with buoyancy.

I don’t eat pork anymore , but I find it amazing that animals have an instinct to swim . I jumped off a diving board at a lake one time and started floundering until a woman came out and touched my shoulder . I put my feet down and I could stand easily in the water . I guess I don’t have the swim gene

Unregistered Users

However quick googling says average adult has 3-4 grams of iron in their bodies, so I guess 3000 enemies rather than 300. :-P

Unregistered Users

Margaret Dickson a.k.a. Half Hangit Maggie was hanged on the 2 September 1724 at Edinburgh.  Her crime was that of infanticide, namely that she had murdered her newborn baby. According to her the child was born dead and so she had disposed of the body on the banks of the local river Tweed.  The small body was discovered later that same day. She was tried at Edinburgh and although the evidence was weak was found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging. She was hanged and her body left suspended for the customary 30 minutes.  Her body was cut down and taken away in a coffin on a cart to be buried several miles away.  At one stage the driver of the cart had stopped for a break and thought he heard noises coming from the coffin.  He was right, for some unknown reason Margaret was not dead and had revived and was now trying to get out of the coffin.

This was perhaps seen as devine intervention and she was given a full pardon, she went on to live another 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

I guess you have to start small, with a pocket knife or something, and build your iron reserve gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

In 2008, Portishead and The Verve released their respective third and fourth albums, Third and Forth (no "U".)

They were both bands' first albums in 11 years.

Saturday Night Fever is said to have been based on an article about the disco scene in Brooklyn, well actually it seems to have been based on that other happening locale: Shepherds Bush in West London.

https://thedaydiscodied.home.blog/saturday-night-fever/

Human beings are despicable.

• Advertisement

The volume of half a sphere is 2/3(Pi) r³

So that's incorrect.

What about the cylindrical part with the neck?

Plus, it's slighly pointy, it's not perfectly round.

#clutching at straws

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It's going to have pi in there somewhere

And the r3 from the hemisphere won't go away

Wiki says r2d2 came from "Reel 2, Dialog Track 2" of audio

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's correct if d is not the diameter but equal to sqrt(2/3(pi)r)…

That's a good straw replacement, I'll take it! 😁

• Advertisement

Now do pepperoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As a taxpayer in America, it's stomach churning to watch that.

That's why the Houthi's tactic is brilliant. It costs them $30,000 to launch a drone and at least 30 times as much for the navies in the area to shoot it down.

• Advertisement

The Colosseum may have had as many as 87,000 seats at its peak. If it was in use today it would be Europe's 3rd biggest, after Nou Camp and Wembley. Seating was organised by your rank in society. Plebs and women at the back (see pic).

There are over 200 species of plants growing there, until a hundred years ago, some of them were found here and nowhere else in Europe. It is believed that they came in the coats of animals that were taken there to be fought against.

It was built in 72CE, opened in 80CE and the damage at the front that is so familiar was caused by an earthquake in 1349.

Unregistered Users

The average F1 car is 5.65m long and 2m wide. Which makes it the same size as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and about as high as the wheel arches on that thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Well now. I remember hearing somewhere that when you burp you expel carbon dioxide, which is heavier than air, thus making you more buoyant in the air, therefore lighter. And when you fart you expel methane which is lighter than air, thus making you heavier...

I'll need to redo my calculations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Another interesting one:

In 1916, the town was incorporated as Hot Springs. It became the Sierra County seat in 1937. By the late 1930s, Hot Springs was filled with 40 different natural-hot-spring spas – one per every 75 residents at the time – though primarily catering to visitors.

The city changed its name from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences as the result of a radio show contest. In March 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the NBC Radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program on its 10th anniversary from the first town that renamed itself after the show; Hot Springs officially changed its name on March 31, 1950, and the program was broadcast from there the following evening. Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next 50 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_or_Consequences%2C_New_Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In the 2023/24 financial year, the UK spent €65 billion on defence. In the same year, total government expenditure for Ireland was €99.8 billion.

Not really surprising with over ten times the population and not having bigger friendly country next door to pick up the glaring gaps in your defensive capabilities

UK also tries to hold onto the memories of its old Empire and likes to play world policeman with the US, that's one of the main reasons its budget is so high.

But I digress. The Chinese had a navy 500 years ago that would be unmatched even by todays standards. Back then it had a population of 90-100m. They built warships so big around around 1500 that it took Europeans over 350 years to build ships as long.

In the 1400s, China owned the greatest seagoing fleet in the world, up to 3,500 ships at its peak. (The U.S. Navy today has only 430). Some of them were five times the size of the ships being built in Europe at the time.

But by 1525, all of China's "Treasure Fleet" ships had been destroyed -- burned in their docks or left to rot by the government. China had been poised to circumnavigate the globe decades before the Europeans did, but instead the Ming Dynasty retracted into itself and entered a 200-year-long slump.

Few people in the West realise how economically and technologically advanced China was by the 1400s. The Treasure Fleet was vast -- some vessels were up to 120 metres long. (Christopher Columbus's Santa Maria was only 19 metres.) A Chinese ship might have several decks inside it, up to nine masts, twelve sails, and contain luxurious staterooms and balconies, with a crew of up to 1,500, according to one description. On one journey, 317 of these ships set sail at once.

From this article here, worth a read;

• Advertisement
Advertisement