Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1/256 Cherokee

• 16-08-2010 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

A friend was over the other night, and the subject of our conversation turned to race. This friend has done research into their family line. She was describing how she was the classic 'American Mutt', having ancestors from Germany, Ireland, England, Norway, France, and Swedan. Then she tells me of a Native American ancestor. It seems her dad had a native ancestor, back around eight generations ago. I estimate that this would make my friend about 1 out of 256 past ancestors Indian.

Note that this woman is about as white as you can get, having green eyes and sandy blond hair, and European facial features, as you would expect from her European ancestry.

I know that most people have practical notions of what qualifies a person as white. I am just wondering, are there any serious people here who would not consider my friend to be white?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So she's >99.5% white ?

I don't think anyone around here is going to apply the one-drop rule !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Very interesting i would consider her white.

I'm going to ask a question about dna tests if you don't mind sorry.
    Which dna test would you do to get your own family's results and no other i.e your fathers roots/surname passed from your grandfather, great , great grandfather and so on not your grandmother great grandmother etc as you'd be doing thousands of trees?
    How far do they go and what would be the best website?

Edit: dosen't matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

To me, the question of whether she's white or not is irrelevant. If it was me, I'd be interested in trying to prove this ancestor because it's so different.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 4241

Oh trust me, she's white. Lol. She is genetically white. I was just kinda wondering what some who believe in the one drop rule thinks. I kinda figured I'd have to find an extremely hardcore racist to begin arguing she's not White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Where do the percentages come into it? Whats' the furthest back family trees go; 1,000 years if lucky? Before that you're literally in uncharted territory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What is the point of this thread? I'll give the op a few hours to let me know if they want this sent to humanities which it would be more suited to, otherwise I'm going to lock it. Mod.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

4241 wrote: »
    Oh trust me, she's white. Lol. She is genetically white. I was just kinda wondering what some who believe in the one drop rule thinks. I kinda figured I'd have to find an extremely hardcore racist to begin arguing she's not White.

In order to answer your question, this thread should really be in Humanities.

But in order to really answer your question I'd also ask it on a site such as Stormfront where there is a possibility of getting a different reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 4241

What is the point of this thread? .

I was reading about the one drop rule on Wikipedia and I thought of my friend. It started to remind me of 1/256 and I couldn't imagine her being considered non-White because of it even with the one drop rule. I was just wondering if there are any serious people out there who would say she's not White.

Advertisement