Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 17 weekend fight night: Lomachenko v Lopez mega LW fight

Options
  • 16-10-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭

Biggest fight the year so far IMO on tomorrow night when Teo Lopez tries to dethrone the great Vasyl Lomachenko. 12 rds LW fight for a couple of belts. Eir Sports live from Las Vegas for this one

Really looking forward to this one.....Loma the obvious favorite, but can Lopez get to him hard, clean and enough to cause the KO upset? It wouldn't be at all a shock. Anthonty Crolla did a breakdown similar to what I would think on it....Teo has a decent punchers' chance, but expects Loma to be too slick and good on defense.

Also, earlier on Sky Sports Arena and Sky Sports Main, Lewis Ritson fights Miguel Vasquez

There may be more fights elsewhere, but I am not aware of anything big/special

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Saucedo - Barboza on the undercard for this too should be a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Blood Sweat and Tears on Youtube pretty good to whet the appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Blood Sweat and Tears on Youtube pretty good to whet the appetite.

Just watched that. Teo's dad is worse than Danny Garcia's

Just watched that. Teo's dad is worse than Danny Garcia's

No no no. Nobody worse than Angel Garcia..

Although, Guerrero’s old man runs him close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Having seen the behind the scenes episodes, I think Lopez is way, way, WAAAAYYY too emotional. Ditto with his father. That kind of nonsense doesn't cut the mustard at top level sports. And to top it off they're coming up against the ultimate analytical, calculating, tactical, intelligent fighting machine in the world right now.

I admire Lopez for believing in himself so much he has talked his way into a dangerous fight at such an early stage of his career, but that's the problem - he just doesn't have the experience to beat Lomachenko. There's nothing he brings that Lomachenko hasn't seen before and isn't prepared for.

Having said that, there was one spot where the father mentioned that Loma doesn't like it rough and they had to rough him up. I agree. Simply because there's zero chance of outboxing him, so he might as well make a 'fight' out of it - if that's possible, pinning down the Ukranian is close to impossible.

I think Loma will try to start as he usually does - watching and figuring out while not doing much. This is the opportunity for Lopez to tear into him, otherwise he'll get figured out within a few rounds and the steady beatdown will commence.

But can Lopez do any damage if he does go hell for leather? I'm not sure. He's physically strong and hits hard, but if he takes that approach he's going to leave himself open. A lot. And Loma can hit hard while not getting hit himself. I can see Lopez getting very frustrated / emotional fairly early and being outboxed comfortably from round 5/6 onward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What kinda time will that fight be? Don’t see any way of watching on sky abd I don’t get eir being in the occupied 6

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What kinda time will that fight be? Don’t see any way of watching on sky abd I don’t get eir being in the occupied 6

Be after 5 I would think.

The Eir show starts at 3-3.30 I believe...

Lopez has great little bursts of speed/power..

I think if the circumstance is right, he could get to burst the Lomachenko chin...

Failing this, Loma wins on points or late stoppage.

Only takes a split second to land a real telling blow..

I could be off, but I don’t think Loma has a sturdy chin..

Weigh in was interesting....

Loma straight onto Teo...

Little bit natural size to Teo, but nothing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Where is the best place to legally watch this in Ireland lads?

Had a look on thst fite TV site that has been mentioned in articles but it's saying not available in your territory.

I have sky sports/BT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Eir sports are showing it afaik.

D.Q wrote: »
    Where is the best place to legally watch this in Ireland lads?

Had a look on thst fite TV site that has been mentioned in articles but it's saying not available in your territory.

I have sky sports/BT

It’s Eir Sports..

Sky your TV provider? If so, maybe contact them to add the Eir pack if possible.

Not sure if you need to have Eir BB to qualify here..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

No that's sound lads thanks, have eir. That's great news haha means I can record it, don't need to commit to the late night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Been a big fan of Lopez coming up and think he'd beat any of the other names at 135. Think he'd brutalise Devin Haney for example. Just think a fight with Lomachenko is a massive step up from someone like Commey and he's bitten off more than he can chew here.

Expecting Lomachenko to fight a bit like he did v Campbell. Coming forward while being elusive enough to hardly get touched. Lopez likes to fight at a slow pace and I think he's going to struggle to keep up with Loma especially in the second half of the fight.

Lomachenko late stoppage or clear points win depending on how Lopez holds up late on. Only been 12 rounds once. Only been past 7 rounds once actually so there's plenty of question marks about whether he'll have the tank to go 12 and hold off Loma late like Campbell or Pedraza did by the skin of their teeth.

Really good fight though definitely going to stay up for it.

Lopez has great little bursts of speed/power..

I think if the circumstance is right, he could get to burst the Lomachenko chin...

Failing this, Loma wins on points or late stoppage.

Only takes a split second to land a real telling blow..

I could be off, but I don’t think Loma has a sturdy chin..

What you base this off? The flash knockdown against Linares?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 King Doberman

Fancy Lopez to pull it off by KO. Massive Lightweight naturally the bigger more powerful man and have a feeling loma maybe be just slipping from the peak of his powers had his share of injuries the past few years.

Morrison J wrote: »
    What you base this off? The flash knockdown against Linares?

And his body reactions during several exchanges v Linares..and some others..

Lopez has very good clean power...

Loma may prove me wrong by taking heavy shots well v Lopez, or not proving it by being defensively sound and not getting hit real clean.

Lopez Senior mentions something I was thinking: to date, Loma has not been whacked hard yet..

Hey, all credit to him. I just have that vibe that he is chinny.

Fancy Lopez to pull it off by KO. Massive Lightweight naturally the bigger more powerful man and have a feeling loma maybe be just slipping from the peak of his powers had his share of injuries the past few years.

He is not that massive. I think this is being exaggerated..

He is not that massive. I think this is being exaggerated..

He will be massive in there tonight come fight time fully refuelled. Only 23 can't see him hanging around at 135 for much longer regardless of tonight's result

He will be massive in there tonight come fight time fully refuelled. Only 23 can't see him hanging around at 135 for much longer regardless of tonight's result

Inch or so taller and 3 inches reach. Face off last night and not a big diff in size..

Linares and Campbell both looked bigger at LW.

• Advertisement

Another robbery in a matchroom show there. No chance Ward did enough to get a draw.

Another robbery in a matchroom show there. No chance Ward did enough to get a draw.

Terry o Connor at it again mans been curroupt for years

Ritson fight about to start!

Vasquez a veteran now. Been in with a few names..

His pro debut was against Canelo 14 years ago..4 rds UD loss

Fought Canelo again in 2008 and lost UD 10

Thought this interesting!!

2-0 Vasquez. If Ritson lets him into a rhythm he'll be in bother here.

2-0 Vasquez. If Ritson lets him into a rhythm he'll be in bother here.

He’s tapping and touching Ritson to win the rds..

He’s tapping and touching Ritson to win the rds..

3-0 Vasquez Terry O Connor has it 40-36 to Ritson

Ritson is just not that good.

An old weaker man is beating him..without even doing much.

Ritson is just not that good.

An old weaker man is beating him..without even doing much.

Ritson is British level. Was found out even when he stepped up to Euro level.

• Advertisement

Not a good call there...

Advertisement