Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Renting in my 30s

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I think you will find they were missing things like walls and floors and were not sold as individual units. In other words I don't think they exisited as places you could buy and live in.

fair enough. I must pass that onto my sister she was telling me before christmas about buying one because a friend of hers did it in the first lot. But I will defer to your more learned self in the matter.

Anyway it's just a suggestion. There is lots and lots of value out there. It might not be exactly what you want but then none of us got what we wanted to start. My first flat was a 2 bed with a tiny galley kitchen in Swiss Cottage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Hi, im 31 year old single female. I have accepted that i'll be renting forever at this!!! Just wondering are there any other males or females around my age that rent and are happy to rent?? I couldnt afford to rent a place on my own so sharing is my only option. The problem is that im finding it hard to find people around my age that rent/share houses. Anybody else think the same????

im renting 11 yrs now. would love to have my own place but wont happen for a long time.. it can get v tiring after a while and its a pitty 1 bed apartments are so expensive but then both situations have there pros and cons.

its an irish thing so ur renting at a certain age. its a bit like the whole society thing about being single at a certain age esp if ur female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I still am and it bothers me sometimes. I'd rather be chipping away at a mortgage than renting at this stage of my life. Having said that, the alternative to wounded pride is worse. I know that if I had bought in 2005/2006, I'd be struggling now.

Like a lot of people out there, my take home pay has dropped quite a bit. I know for certain too that I'd now be in negative equity with a nice big mortgage to boot. There is also a bit of uncertainty in my job which may or may not lead to my needing to move. None of these things were issues during the "boom years" really, were they?

While I'd like to rent a place on my own, I'm being pragmatic. I'm in a settled house-share and my house-mates are grand. I'm saving loads on rent/utility bills and it's giving me the opportunity to save money. I don't intend to rent forever and I hope that the money I'm saving now will take the sting out of the mortgage when I do go looking. Prices are falling and I believe they'll continue in that direction for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

toexpress wrote: »
    The bottom is going to hit, most likely later this year so therefore sitting on it for 5/6 years is sage advice.

What's your reasoning behind the assumption that things will bottom out this year? Which factors causing the slump - massive unemployment, banks frantically deleveraging their balance sheets, a huge overhang of unsold property, the swathes of spending cuts being imposed by the IMF - will reverse direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

cymbaline wrote: »
    I still am and it bothers me sometimes. I'd rather be chipping away at a mortgage than renting at this stage of my life. Having said that, the alternative to wounded pride is worse. I know that if I had bought in 2005/2006, I'd be struggling now.

Like a lot of people out there, my take home pay has dropped quite a bit. I know for certain too that I'd now be in negative equity with a nice big mortgage to boot. There is also a bit of uncertainty in my job which may or may not lead to my needing to move. None of these things were issues during the "boom years" really, were they?

While I'd like to rent a place on my own, I'm being pragmatic. I'm in a settled house-share and my house-mates are grand. I'm saving loads on rent/utility bills and it's giving me the opportunity to save money. I don't intend to rent forever and I hope that the money I'm saving now will take the sting out of the mortgage when I do go looking. Prices are falling and I believe they'll continue in that direction for the foreseeable future.

It may bother you sometimes but when you look at the cold hard facts you are indeed a million times better off...
    6/7 years ago renters were seen as mugs by many, now its the other way around...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Heathen wrote: »

I have 2 brothers that are stuck here now because they bought in the boom

H

They can always rent it off and live where ever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

XenaLady wrote: »
    They can always rent it off and live where ever they want.

not always possible if the mortgage is more that the rent they might get now......

the problem is that a lot people bought thinking they could sell on in 2-3 years to the next mug

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

Would love to have your problem, i'm 29 own a house with an ex thats a horrible horrible person, we're in huge negative equity, count yourself lucky. The only way out for me is huge debts :(

Advertisement