Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Boards Beers 27th July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Hate this reaction to someone having the temerity to suggest an activity as well as beers.

I think it’s a great idea.

Suggesting an activity other than beers is great, I'd love it if people could manage it without a snide superior comment at the end though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Or, y'know, it could also be because AH is full of mouthy keyboard warriors who'd shrivel up and die if they actually had to stand over any of their edgelord rantings in person.

Just a thought...
    Today yeah I could see that D, but ten years ago when it was much more laid back and jokey a forum?
    I was supposed to go to a mods meet up once.

Then I realised these were people who moderated other folks' Internet posts as a hobby, and would have been unimaginably fussy, a veritable den of social awkwardness.
    The first beers I went to was a mod beers and TBH I expected the same, but while yeah there were a couple of people like that alright and they tended to hang out together, but most weren't at all like that. I was quite surprised if I'm honest. There was probably some internal selection thing going on too I suppose. IE the socially awkward were much less likely to attend something like that in the first place, so they were filtered out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Suggesting an activity other than beers is great, I'd love it if people could manage it without a snide superior comment at the end though.

A weekend's pheasant shooting would be nice, not too boozy. Just hipfkasks with sippin' whiskey. And drugs. Loadsa and loadsa lovely fūckin drugs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A weekend's pheasant shooting would be nice, not too boozy. Just hipfkasks with sippin' whiskey. And drugs. Loadsa and loadsa lovely fūckin drugs.

Whiskey, drugs, guns and boardsies. What could possibly go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If it's an AH beers we should probably make it peasant shooting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If it's an AH beers we should probably make it peasant shooting though.

I hope gillies will be provided to round them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Or, y'know, it could also be because AH is full of mouthy keyboard warriors who'd shrivel up and die if they actually had to stand over any of their edgelord rantings in person.

Just a thought...

Ya its mostly this. I've said it million times and seen it enough that some the ones with the biggest personas online are nothing in person!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Whiskey, drugs, guns and boardsies. What could possibly go wrong

Well you can never trust the Irish weather so that could be an onion in the ointment boom.. Still a good idea mind. 19 years since I've been hunting, a friend brought me deerstalking*. We spotted one anyhows and yer man stupidly hands me the long. So there's me, trying to steady my shot when something spooked the young stag. Instinctively, I dropped the rifle, whipped out a trusty Kel Tec pmr30 from me waistband and stuck 18 slugs in rapid succession into the fûcker. The stag ran away unharmed thank god, I unfortunately got 8years for voluntary manslaughter.

*May not be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

And a bit of Withnail and I after breakfast to get us in the mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

And Hookers...oh no wait that might be more suitable for the fishing weekend!

The last two posters were trigger happy and archer. I think my pheasant thingy wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The pheasant hunting season does not start for a while yet though.
    Let’s go peasant hunting instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its in Dublin I'm up for it, I'll drag Degsy along too.. Ya know, just so we can f*ck sh*t up :D

Is Degsy still alive?

I thought he'd have been assassinated by Bono by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'll be on the p*ss in town all day tomorrow anyway so could swing by.

Then I realised these were people who moderated other folks' Internet posts as a hobby, and would have been unimaginably fussy, a veritable den of social awkwardness. So no, I don't quite get the boards beers thing. There are plenty of people here I'd like to have (and have had) a pint with, but I'm not sure about à room of boardsies.

I'd go for a pint with you Tyrant! :)

You too, Persepoly!

I keep a mental note of all the sound heads here I'd like to go for a pint with, and some of the unsound ones too

I'd love a beers but don't think will happen!

Guess ya never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If it was ever to happen I'd give it consideration, why not? I'm sure most people would be sound and as stated by others in the thread most of the abrasive keyboard windbags wouldn't go because in real life they're too scared to leave their rooms.

Is Degsy still alive?

I thought he'd have been assassinated by Bono by now.

Bono chancing his arm against the Duke of Dunsink? Don't think so bud, degsy would batter him like a red haired stepchild. Besides that, if I I ever got wind of it(and i would ya know)Hewsons wraparound shades would be wrapped around his bleedin neck. An enemy of Bono's is an ally of mine. I'd smash me keyboard of his head first for being a prick/big meany to degsy, then I'd boot him so hard up the hole that he'd land in South Sudan faster than the time it takes to say cedarwood :D

Arghus wrote: »
    If it was ever to happen I'd give it consideration, why not? I'm sure most people would be sound and as stated by others in the thread most of the abrasive keyboard windbags wouldn't go because in real life they're too scared to leave their rooms.

Only way be done I guess someone just set up a list of places and dates and decide via poll or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

Then I realised these were people who moderated other folks' Internet posts as a hobby, and would have been unimaginably fussy, a veritable den of social awkwardness. So no, I don't quite get the boards beers thing. There are plenty of people here I'd like to have (and have had) a pint with, but I'm not sure about à room of boardsies.

I’d have a pint of 7up with either of you :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You too, Persepoly!

I keep a mental note of all the sound heads here I'd like to go for a pint with, and some of the unsound ones too

Am I on the sound list?

Well I don't know now Sephers :p

Am I on the sound list?

'Course you are. Sit down there young lad, and ill tell you something I've discovered - most people are cool and are nice.

Right is this beers happening or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Boards babies

You drink 7up neat?
    Strewth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bono chancing his arm against the Duke of Dunsink? Don't think so bud, degsy would batter him like a red haired stepchild. Besides that, if I I ever got wind of it(and i would ya know)Hewsons wraparound shades would be wrapped around his bleedin neck. An enemy of Bono's is an ally of mine. I'd smash me keyboard of his head first for being a prick/big meany to degsy, then I'd boot him so hard up the hole that he'd land in South Sudan faster than the time it takes to say cedarwood :D

Just had a read of that Degsy lads posts. Lot of anger there. Is he taller sitting down than he is standing up? Did Bono take the last pair of platform shoes in his size at one stage or something??

You drink 7up neat?
    Strewth.

On the rocks with a twist of lime ;)

Am I on the sound list?

'Course you are. Sit down there young lad, and ill tell you something I've discovered - most people are cool and are nice.

Right is this beers happening or what?

I’m definitely up for it but - despite having started the thread - I don’t really want responsibility for organising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

You too, Persepoly!

I’d love to meet you just to see the face behind THAT username :pac:

No really, I like you .

Just had a read of that Degsy lads posts. Lot of anger there. Is he taller sitting down than he is standing up? Did Bono take the last pair of platform shoes in his size at one stage or something??

I thought he was a funny fùcker to be honest John, maybe you read his posts on the thunderdome forum and picked them up wrong, that was actually a banter page and the regular posters on it would have been fairly civil with one another on any other forum. His general knowledge on almost any subject you can think of is also top tier stuff. A librarian if I remember correctly, in Trinity. Think he's still posting away here under a different moniker. Open to correction on that last one though man.

FFred wrote: »

No really, I like you .

It's a very underwhelming face, ask any woman who's met me.

I think this needs to happen in Coppers. But Coppers is a bit loud, maybe it should begin in Flannery's.

There could be boards babies out of this.

I thought he was a funny fùcker to be honest John, maybe you read his posts on the thunderdome forum and picked them up wrong, that was actually a banter page and the regular posters on it would have been fairly civil with one another on any other forum. His general knowledge on almost any subject you can think of is also top tier stuff. A librarian if I remember correctly, in Trinity. Think he's still posting away here under a different moniker. Open to correction on that last one though man.
    The Thunderdome was great. Flutt and his coprophilia, some guy called Sarge whom I think is now a major investment banker (mar dhea) and a mad bint called Bronte who was into anal sex. Honestly don't know what they were thinking when they shut that forum down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It is good to see the face behind the username. We are all normal people here(mostly).

I met up with a few boardsies last weekend and enjoyed it.

Be careful of the Persey one Tyrant she'll have you on the cocktails.

:p

Reminder on the night out to make sure that you confirm the adjacent stalls are empty of fellow lavatarians (especially JohnnyFlash), before unleashing any devils dumplings ; lest you spawn another ‘etiquette’ thread :pac:

No really, I like you .

It's a very underwhelming face, ask any woman who's met me.

I think this needs to happen in Coppers. But Coppers is a bit loud, maybe it should begin in Flannery's.

There could be boards babies out of this.

A meet up on Camden Street sounds ideal to me, and not just because it’s a 6 minute walk from my place :)

Walking distance for me too, neighbour. We can shove the rest of them into taxis. So what are we saying about a date and time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Walking distance for me too, neighbour. We can shove the rest of them into taxis. So what are we saying about a date and time?

Night before the all ireland final :D

I guess it should be a weekend day to facilitate anyone who’s coming from further than 6 minutes away?

If people who want to come throw out a few suggestions I can make a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I attended one a few years back and enjoyed it but suffered from worse mental health issues than I do today back then and I came off the wrong way to the other boardsies. They seemed nice tho and hopefully they remember me in a positive way.

Did nothing major but feel it would be much different today. Still recognize a few of them today

I dont see the fear in them tbh sure half of us go on tinder etc dates and there mostly complete strangers too

I guess it should be a weekend day to facilitate anyone who’s coming from further than 6 minutes away?

If people who want to come throw out a few suggestions I can make a poll.

I suggest sooner rather than later, whilst the thread has a bit of momentum.

Would tomorrow night be too soon? Saturday?
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    I attended one a few years back and enjoyed it but suffered from worse mental health issues than I do today back then and I came off the wrong way to the other boardsies. They seemed nice tho and hopefully they remember me in a positive way.

Did nothing major but feel it would be much different today. Still recognize a few of them today

I dont see the fear in them tbh sure half of us go on tinder etc dates and there mostly complete strangers too
    If it's any consolation, awareness of mental health issues has leaped forwards in recent years, and I reckon almost everyone has at least one mental health issue anyway. So don't stress it. Come to the beers and you'll have at least one person who won't leave you hanging by yourself.

I suggest sooner rather than later, whilst the thread has a bit of momentum.

Would tomorrow night be too soon? Saturday?

Cue the influx of ‘I can’t do Saturday’ ...’Can we do the 6th of Feb’ ... ‘Can we do it in Fermoy’ ...

PS .. I can’t do tomorrow or Saturday. really :pac:

Cue the influx of ‘I can’t do Saturday’ ...’Can we do the 6th of Feb’ ... ‘Can we do it in Fermoy’ ...

PS .. I can’t do tomorrow or Saturday. really :pac:

Ah for goodness' sake! I wanted to ask you in person what the F stands for in FFred.

Cancel your plans. Meet me in Flannery's on Saturday night.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It is good to see the face behind the username. We are all normal people here(mostly).

I met up with a few boardsies last weekend and enjoyed it.

Be careful of the Persey one Tyrant she'll have you on the cocktails.

:p

Ah for goodness' sake! I wanted to ask you in person what the F stands for in FFred.

Cancel your plans. Meet me in Flannery's on Saturday night.

We have a lot in common I suppose. We are both hilarious and erudite gentlemen when it comes to the written word.

But, we are opposites in geographical and migratory terms, since I’m a Dub living in the sticks, whereas you are a country gent living in the big schmoke

Discuss ...

We have a lot in common I suppose. We are both hilarious and erudite gentlemen when it comes to the written word.

But, we are opposites in geographical and migratory terms, since I’m a Dub living in the sticks, whereas you are a country gent living in the big schmoke

Discuss ...

You sound too lovely, and now I am glad you are not coming, I would only disappoint your expectations (but try to come).

As for the rest of us, we should make some kind of serious plan. Flannery's on Saturday, does that work? It's reasonably quiet around 8pm even on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is Degsy still alive?

Oh very much alive and doing great for himself.

Damn a boards beers with Degsy in full flight would be a howl.

I remember coming home from work one morning and listening to Gerry Ryan on RTE talking about online trolls, then he mentioned boards.ie and straight away he mentioned Degsy & his hatred of Bono, quoting a few of his posts on the little Dalkey lad.

Yea, I'll try drag him along for the craic if there's a beers in Dublin.

The Thunderdome was great. Flutt and his coprophilia, some guy called Sarge whom I think is now a major investment banker (mar dhea) and a mad bint called Bronte who was into anal sex. Honestly don't know what they were thinking when they shut that forum down.
    Sad day for boards when the plug was pulled on that forum bud. I used to be in fkn stitches reading through it. Never threw me own hat in the ring mind, but it cheered me up no end through rough times. I'd gladly buy degsy a pint if I ever bump into the bollix, Brontë is still here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Always had a lot of time for Degsy, sound lad and great craic(he likely thinks me a gobshite, so also a good judge of character). Makikomi's alright too I suppose... :D