Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent's/Adults swearing at young children

• 22-07-2019 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

So I've noticed a few of my neighbors telling their toddler children to "****ing get in" "ahh you ****ing...." etc. or calling them Little ****s, am I pearl clutching or is this the definition of the term being Dragged Up I keep hearing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not good parenting at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

El_Bee wrote: »
    So I've noticed a few of my neighbors telling their toddler children to "****ing get in" "ahh you ****ing...." etc. or calling them Little ****s, am I pearl clutching or is this the definition of the term being Dragged Up I keep hearing?

I heard my neighbour repeatedly call his son (8) stupid in a really angry tone and I thought that was awful. A few minutes later everything had blown over and was fine again, but I felt so bad for the kid - I couldn't help but think it would be on his mind going to bed that night.

It doesn't reflect a formidable intellect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's no way to say this without sounding like a snob, but it's a good indicator of someone's socioeconomic status and level of education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re pearl clutching at the way other people drag up their kids.

Satisfied? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,836 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on the contact to me if a parent dropped a swear word into a conversation it wouldn't bother me.
    However somebody yelling and shouting swear words at kids is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

There's no way to say this without sounding like a snob, but it's a good indicator of someone's socioeconomic status and level of education.

My neighbour is well-off, good job, educated - but when he loses his temper with his kids he just shouts at them. He doesn't swear but he's mean, and it's almost as bad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve heard this on a number of, similar, occasions. It’s usually in places like McDonalds, Mr. Price or Dealz.

Lots of threats of violence. I, particularly, remember one screeching woman calling her child a little “c word”.

These people shouldn’t have kids. Comes back to the old “conundrum” where you’re required to have a licence to have a dog.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    My neighbour is well-off, good job, educated - but when he loses his temper with his kids he just shouts at them. He doesn't swear but he's mean, and it's almost as bad tbh.

I think it can be worse. I'm from what most people would consider a lower class background and plenty of my family members called us/their kids little f**kers and so on. Yes, it's bad but it's just a word. I think it's far worse when parents give their kids a dressing down in public and tell them how stupid they are and humiliate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭looksee

^^^agreed. Swearing is not good, but mostly it reflects a lazy way of thinking and speaking - the user does not have the vocabulary to express themself. Being unkind and abusive, possibly in very 'polite' language is much worse. There can be affection in the swear words that there absolutely is not in cutting and cruel but polite language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's like water off a ducks back with most of the little *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It doesn't reflect a formidable intellect.

In fairness, if they were clever, they wouldnt keep getting called a stupid little **** now, would they. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Kids hear swearing the whole time, it's nothing to em. Swear words are an integral part of the Irish vocab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

once had a neighbour who you could hear regularly roared

"stop F%$&*ing Crying"!!!

BTW I wouldn't hear any crying

must be a great environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Some years ago and at the time my DH and I were trying for a baby, I witnessed a mother berate her little boy looking for something from the shop, she called him a little see you next Tuesday and other choice words.

My heart was breaking and I so wanted to sweep that little boy in my arms and bring him home. The sad thing is, this is and will be the norm for this little lad and am sure he in turn will do the same. The never ending circle.

BTW we did get our much longed for baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

We aren't all perfect, sometimes when my lads are driving me mad ill curse a little - my boys seem very happy and are doing well in school.

Must be all f*cking grade A perfect parents here.

snobby **** :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Family who lived beside the house where my mother used to go on holidays were "strict disciplinarians" as it was called back then or "physical abusers" as it's rightly called now, she said you'd see the kids with black eyes.

She was in the kitchen once and saw one of the sons, about 13 years old, legging it up the field. Followed by the father who was shouting 'YOU GET BACK HERE AND I'LL GIVE YOU "C.UNT" SO I WILL". Chickens came home to roost for him I think once the sons got big enough to fight back, good enough for the c.unt.

My parents would have sworn around us, but not at us. I remember getting in trouble when I started school for casually swearing, I just didn't know I wasn't supposed to.

I think speaking in anger to a child like that is pretty bad, the swearing doesn't make a huge amount of difference imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I use "feck" to my five year old.

"I can't find my feckin keys?"...etc.

She uses "sh!te" to me

"Daddy, the baby did an awful sh!te"

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

A neighbour of mine is forever calling his son a little bollox. The daughter has now taken to calling her brother a bollox too.
    The mother freaks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Life Hack: If you wish to keep your colourful, adult words when conversing with a child, simply name the child "****".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's only funny when Colm Meany does it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

They are just words, too many limpwristed parents these days. Kids will hear these words so why not use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

This is my 5yo latest song...

https://g.co/kgs/n5kAGX

Haven’t a fu(kin clue where she picked it up the little sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They are just words, too many limpwristed parents these days. Kids will hear these words so why not use them.

Two possible reasons why not to use them in my view.
    First reason, because they become normalised for them and thankfully most in society prefer people to be able to communicate with a certain level of civility.

The child could later suffer as a result of using words in a common manner which lead others to view them as coming from a certain social category or their parents having a particular level of education (see post above by Leg end reject for reference) This could then impact on the child's interaction with others, their self confidence, and where they see themselves in the world.

Second reason, because the child may be able to pick up that many times people use these words to imply a particular level of disgust or displeasure and so they may think that that is how their parents feel about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The living room door in my friend's house was a bit banjaxed. When her son was a toddler any time someone opened or closed it he'd mutter "fcukin door" without even looking up from his toys, just seemed to have picked up that that's what one said when that door was in use :D

I thought it was cute, it was really hard not to laugh at it because you didn't want him starting to think that was just a funny word.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There's a massive difference between using these words casually in conversation and verbally abusing children. I find it interesting that the OP chose to focus on the language used to abuse the children.

These words only carry as much meaning as we give them and I've never understood why people get offended by most of them (there are obviously gender/race specific words around which I completely understand and respect the sensitivity). But people who use their usage as some barometer for class or education are snobs of the worst kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You do hear it a bit. Swearing around children can't always be avoided, we all swear and eff and blind fairly liberally in this country so it's going to pop into our conversation from time to time, but I think that's fairly harmless.

Whereas swearing AT children is awful, especially at very young kids. Most people don't, thankfully, but you do hear it from time to time. Usually it's a case of ignorance and probably an upbringing where they were constantly fcked out of it my their own parents. It's a bit sad really.

Advertisement