Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork could turn into 'Mini Manhattan' according to the Indo

Options
  • 22-07-2019 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/second-city-could-turn-into-mini-manhattan-over-highrise-plans-38323566.html

Custom-House-Quay-5-1068x623.jpg

Following on from the above article I just wanted to get the general opinion of folks outside of Cork on some of the recent considerable interest from property developers on the city's docklands and Port of Cork areas for high rise infrastructure.

Has Dublin City somewhat missed the boat on central small footprint high density living? Is it now a city amid considerable urban sprawl? What about other growing cities like Limerick, Galway and Waterford? Could high rise central infrastructure from the outset help avoid these also becoming congested sprawling cities?

As expected there is currently local opposition on some of the proposed dockland and Port of Cork high rise projects. There has been a response to this with a petition in favor of high rise development created by former Fine Gael candidate Julie O’Leary - https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/support-high-rise-and-high-density-development-in-the-port-of-cork

What say the good people of Boards? Could Cork City pave the way as the nations high rise second city or should the historic architecture of the city be maintained meaning no to high rise? Can you have both? Personally I support tall buildings becoming part of Cork City or part of Dublin city and any other city in this country. Its time we grew up and started future proofing our cities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

About time.

Thoroughly agree. We need to start building up like most other major cities in the world. We’ve seen what’s happened in Dublin and that clearly isn’t working so it’s time we tried something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I think its an excellent test location for the Manhattan Project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Have they designed an Arc yet.

For all the tan gents like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I think its an excellent test location for the Manhattan Project.

Your just jealous ;). Good to see cork taking inspiration from one of the greatest cities on earth. Meanwhile Dublin is increasingly turning into a mini LA, dirty and sprawling with a thin veneer of gaudy glamour and a heavy sprinkling of racial segregation and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We could sell it for $24 worth of beads and trinkets. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Have they designed an Arc yet.

For all the tan gents like?
    No 'cos that's a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS39G2vtsWm1mCLHBg_vtYSg4Xv611WtPRSFx_xI69c8X08dokI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Dublin is increasingly turning into a mini LA, dirty and sprawling with a thin veneer of gaudy glamour and a heavy sprinkling of racial segregation and violence.
    Unlike our new Manhattan, eh?
    :pac:

ashling-thompson-15-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We need a Cork version of Woody Allen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Irish people seem to be reflexively against tall buildings for some reason. I mean, they're looking for an underground to be built in Dublin but is the density there for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

branie2 wrote: »
    We need a Cork version of Woody Allen

Cork is home to plenty of old men who fancy their daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Not sure why some Irish people want them.

It's not so much wanting them as understanding that they're part of the development of a modern city. There are objections against another development in Cork and it's residential so would help ease the housing crisis.

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

I mean it's a residential building not a statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mini Manhattan? So basically most small N American coastal cities? But that wouldnt be as clickbait a headline...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It's not a sky scraper, it's actually a middle finger to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It's not a sky scraper, it's actually a middle finger to Dublin.
    Hey, if it takes pressure off the Dublin housing market, it can be in the shape of a gaping asshole pointed north-east for all we care.

FFred wrote: »

Jesus, what did she do to herself with those eyebrows?! :eek: Horrendous :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin and the regional cities must embrace increased density housing and commercial development in order to function properly and in a sustainable fashion as urban centres. I co-authored papers on the negative effects of the sprawl of Dublin in the 2000s and lessons were certainly not learned then. Now we are approaching the crest of another economic/property market cycle and time has been wasted in getting high density development off the ground.

I am delighted that Cork is moving in the direction of building up - and if that shows Dublin up in terms of in inaction on this issue, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Irish people seem to be reflexively against tall buildings for some reason. I mean, they're looking for an underground to be built in Dublin but is the density there for it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Cork city is too prone to flooding, development should be stopped there and a new city built on a better site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

salonfire wrote: »
    Cork city is too prone to flooding delusion, development should be stopped there and a new city built on a better site.
    FYP
    :)

No city in Ireland needs a single so called skyscraper - if the average flat/apartment building height was raised by no more than two stories everywhere that would more than fix the capacity problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the way to go. UCC take up so much of the city, if they built up in one campus it would be much better.

As the saying goes "sky's the limit"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Dublin and the regional cities must embrace increased density housing and commercial development in order to function properly and in a sustainable fashion as urban centres. I co-authored papers on the negative effects of the sprawl of Dublin in the 2000s and lessons were certainly not learned then. Now we are approaching the crest of another economic/property market cycle and time has been wasted in getting high density development off the ground.

I am delighted that Cork is moving in the direction of building up - and if that shows Dublin up in terms of in inaction on this issue, then so be it.

Agreed, Dublin's adoption of Vancouverism (Ironic since Vancouver now has many skyscrapers and a beautiful skyline) is misguided. High rise can be build mindfully without taking away from the surrounding environment, if done properly or can blend in with the older buildings around it.

Edit: My bad, Vancouverism also embraces mixed use high rises. I was mainly referring to the low rise sprawl outside the central area.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

No city in Ireland needs a single so called skyscraper - if the average flat/apartment building height was raised by no more than two stories everywhere that would more than fix the capacity problem.

What about 10-20 years down the line? Would it be ok to just add two stories on to what the "average flat/apartment height" is then? We need to solve the ridiculous outward sprawl for the long-term now, rather than just throw a plaster on it for the short-term and say it's good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

FFred wrote: »

ashling-thompson-15-752x501.jpg

jesus christ those eyebrows have been dyed to an unnatural level of blackness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I mean, they're looking for an underground to be built in Dublin but is the density there for it?

Yes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

who are they?

and yes - of course there is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I suppose there is the parallel that everyone thinks NY is the capital of America and cork thinks it’s the capital of Ireland...

• Advertisement

TheSegal wrote: »
    What about 10-20 years down the line? Would it be ok to just add two stories on to what the "average flat/apartment height" is then? We need to solve the ridiculous outward sprawl for the long-term now, rather than just throw a plaster on it for the short-term and say it's good enough

Look at Paris - it's a low rise city of 8 million people. For years 36 meters was the height limit bar some exceptions.

Advertisement