Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace, get well soon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Wha you wa

In the chinese takeaway
    branie2 wrote: »
    Wha you ga?

Far q! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Didn't he get the nickname Brendan Disgrace in later years at the quality of his *coughs* comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SirChenjin wrote: »

There's no f in duck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

topper75 wrote: »
    One minute he could be fingerpicking My Ringsend Rose. A man of broad taste.

Careful now !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

SirChenjin wrote: »

Do you want to wake with a crowd around ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Like his joke about going to a communion and a funeral the same day. Gets a mass card and a communion card. But accidentally he puts a ten pound note* in the wrong card...

*Ten Quid is all you got in 80s

branie2 wrote: »
    His Father of the Bride routine is another classic.

They'll be laughing it off in the Intensive Care ward!

Feh feh feh feh fish fingers and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I hated Brendan grace as a comedian he’s about as funny as a p45, however he is one of Ireland’s enduring characters and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people in challenging times over the years, who can forget Fr Stack! Hope he makes a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Didn't he get the nickname Brendan Disgrace in later years at the quality of his *coughs* comedy?

He didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

From Liberties, not Sheriff St.

Anyway, he is a clean comedian, old ones are the best kind of fella and you can see the punchlines coming a mile off. I love him though, genuine character, bit of fun and no politics and not up his own arse.

A funny man indeed in sofar as he himself was funny, his act however is old hat and was thirty years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very funny man

A comedian you could sit down and watch and laugh along with your parents

Different times

Hopefully he beats it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Up there with Foster Brooks for playing an excellent drunk.

Comedy aside, I've heard numerous stories of his generosity, a true gent if there ever was one.

I hope he can beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StolenKrone

Get well soon Brendan, surprised at the criticism but that's how things are now. Everyone has an opinion

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have to say I have many fond memories watching him when I was younger with my grand parents, they two of them in stitches. My grandmother would be wiping the tears away in hysterics.

I loved the sketch he used to do about going to the local dance, how the mammy would give the lads a feed of raw onion sandwiches to keep the girls away from their precious sons. Before the dance they would go for a feed of Guinness to give them courage.

Well the combination of both would cause a chemical reaction that would have the lads being propelled across the dance hall involuntarily as they made their way over to ask a girl to dance.:D :D:D

Get well Brendan, many fond memories from your sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

He recorded a lot of stuff that made me cry laughing as a child and young boy so just want to record my best wishes to him in his hour of need in return.

Indeed
    Anyone remember his 'hissing around the pit' yarn when the snakes hadn't a pit to hiss in?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Or
    'I come from a laarge family,
    there were only two of us;
    but we were hewage'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

It was about 1977, I had a cassette player in my Cortina, and a tape of the bould Brendan. In mass of a Sunday, and some scrotes broke in to my car and stole my tape!!!

It was great - the visit to the eh-zoo. But my favourite was the visit to the sausage factory and one of the young fellas falls into the sausage making machine, so when he comes out the other end they put 'him' into a basket with some rashers and pudding to make it more presentable and bring it home to the mother "Ah Jayziz" she screamed "i'ne after winnin' a hamper!"

So sorry to hear of his illness. Saw him live in the 70's quite a few times and he always brought the house down. Hope he gets some good treatment and a good prognosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

To a lovely girl, to a beautiful boy, I'd love to be there...
    But I'm locked in Mountjoy...
    And that's signed ... Daddy...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

What I’ve always liked about Brendan Grace is the jokes were funny by themselves without bringing smut into it. He’s just a naturally funny man.

She was still nagging when we took her off the roof rack of the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Around the mid 70's when he brought out albums with a comedy sketch/song/ comedy sketch/ song format.. a lot of houses in Ireland had a Brendan Grace album. Bottler was a great favourite around the country. I loved his singing voice too.

"youse are all looking at me"...a lot of us are thinking of you now. Well wishes to Brendan/Bottler.

His autobiography, Amuzing Grace, is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Hope he makes a full recovery, plenty of haters out there, i always liked his stuff, but each to their own. Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember his bottler sketch where they were at the church for a wedding where they “thrun” the rice at the couple who weren’t happy, it was the tinned rice….

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Thought he was good in the 80s....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was about 1977, I had a cassette player in my Cortina, and a tape of the bould Brendan. In mass of a Sunday, and some scrotes broke in to my car and stole my tape!!!

Black tape with a yellow label on it? I still have that at home - belonged to the oul fella.

Brendan O'Carroll 'borrowed' a lot of his material, he wouldn't be fit to sharpen Brendan Grace's pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,070 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

KevRossi wrote: »
    Black tape with a yellow label on it? I still have that at home - belonged to the oul fella.

Brendan O'Carroll 'borrowed' a lot of his material, he wouldn't be fit to sharpen Brendan Grace's pencil.

Wait! You stole it or Brendan O'Carroll stole/borrowed it from NickNickelby's car? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hal Roach had a good one about Brendan.

He showed up backstage at a show one night and Brendan said 'Ah Hal, what are you doing here?''

Hal responded: ''I said I'd come down and see how my material is going over.''

Apparently Brendan like most young comedians was prone to nicking the odd joke back in the day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Wait! You stole it or Brendan O'Carroll stole/borrowed it from NickNickelby's car? :eek::D

Ah, that's a bit harsh, Francie. It was his oul' lad wot dun it. Wouldn't mind, but I drove around with a hardboard rear quarter light for months, because I couldn't afford new glass. And believe it or not, no one ever punched it in to get into the car. Probably realised the tape was already gone :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Hal Roach had a good one about Brendan.

He showed up backstage at a show one night and Brendan said 'Ah Hal, what are you doing here?''

Hal responded: ''I said I'd come down and see how my material is going over.''

Apparently Brendan like most young comedians was prone to nicking the odd joke back in the day. :pac:

Hal Roache was another great clean comedian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement