Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people supporting English football teams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,262 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Celtic has a big following in this country because of it's Irish roots and heritage.
    A lot of Irish kids get spotted at a young age by English clubs. They want to play for them. The LoI needs to invest more in the infrastructure and coaching of Kids and not giving bloated salaries to CEOs.
    The talent pool of domestic players that can compete at an international level is pretty scarce, hence the Granny rule craic which in fairness has served the National team well.

Both the Celtic roots\heritage angle and the Granny rule are due to non sports related matters really, the emigration from Ireland over the last 150 years due to economic circumstances e.g. the children born in UK to Irish parents.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Greyfox wrote: »
    This post shows a lack of understanding of what football is, real football fans dont just take a passing interest in football..its simply not possible

No it does not.

I played in school yard from the age of 8
    Won league medals a U16 and U18, and junior level
    I have 3 intervarsity medals (winners and runners up),
    Played junior for years, 5 aside, astroturf, indoor
    Played in different countries where I have lived.
    Been to LOI, EPL, Championship, League 1 games, CL games, internationals - senior, B and U-21.
    Watched every WC and major championship since 86
    Watched every FA cup since 87
    Watched every CL final since 1989

I loved playing and have played more than most people but at the same time I have grown up and I am not 16 and just don't get excited about it anymore. Sure I will watch the CL, the WCs, check the results etc etc and I can appreciate an exciting game and player.

Funnily enough the guys I grew up with that did not play were and still are the most fanatical. Compensating for something maybe?

I have also found that the more passionate/hardcore fans tend to be the least knowledgeable about the actual game as they have never played to any level. In a Whatsapp group with childhood buddies the only ones who bang on about Liverpool, ManC etc all the time never kicked a ball in their life. Whereas the gang of us who played together for years and won trophies are not remotely bothered save a passing interest.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

PG, you're putting way too much thought into this.

What can I say..I am a deep thinker.:pac:

Funnily enough the guys I grew up with that did not play were and still are the most fanatical. Compensating for something maybe?

Not really... they were always interested in the game as spectators, your interest was as a player. A significant minority of professional footballers after they retire, unless they continue in coaching \ media \ ambassador work say they don't take much interest in the game. Happens in all sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I dunno, D. He does have a point about the guys who were any good at the sport not having a fanatical interest in watching it.

The kid in my area who was the best at soccer/Gaelic football had zero interest in watching it. He went on to football play for the Dubs.

Personally speaking, I think he had the right idea. Soccer, and indeed Gaelic football, are quite boring to watch. It’s usually the few pints that make them bearable. Whereas to play they are much more enjoyable.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Personally speaking, I think he had the right idea. Soccer, and indeed Gaelic football, are quite boring to watch. It’s usually the few pints that make them bearable. Whereas to play they are much more enjoyable.

Funnily enough I hated watching soccer growing up and much rather playing whereas I hated playing GAA but could watch it far easier than soccer.

Give me Munster hurling championship game any day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Some people will tell you Celtic.

Depends on how much money I have one the outcome!

Sharing of sectarian views doesn’t make them Irish, they are most certainly Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Both the Celtic roots\heritage angle and the Granny rule are due to non sports related matters really, the emigration from Ireland over the last 150 years due to economic circumstances e.g. the children born in UK to Irish parents.

Well it's understandable why Irish people may follow Celtic because of it's very Irish roots and identity, the club was founded by an Irish man after all.

That poster maintains we hold out a begging bowl for players with minimal connection to Ireland. Why can't the descendants of Irish people who emigrated play for Ireland? Especially if they play at a reasonably high level?

I dunno, D. He does have a point about the guys who were any good at the sport not having a fanatical interest in watching it.

The kid in my area who was the best at soccer/Gaelic football had zero interest in watching it. He went on to football play for the Dubs.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd rarely watch any sport without a sup or 4 in me and not being the sporty type as a kid I would fall into that category too.

Different strokes though, I know a few lads who went on to become pro sportsmen and they would watch Rochdale v Scarborough and manage to get some enjoyment out of it.

• Advertisement

Plenty of Scots will tell you that the sectarian element was imported from NI and only over the last 40 years or so.

Funnily enough I hated watching soccer growing up and much rather playing whereas I hated playing GAA but could watch it far easier than soccer.

Gaelic football I could never get in to at all but a good game of hurling is a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

GAA is an absolutely awful game to watch.

Gaelic football I could never get in to at all but a good game of hurling is a sight to behold.

I was always a fan of football but it’s not great to watch these days at all. Hurling is going from strength to strength and hopefully that will lead to more participation around the country.

I’d rather play a game of 5 aside than watch a soccer match on the weekend.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Bit of a sweeping comment. Sure there are some God awful football games on during the summer and unfortunately there are more bad ones than good ones these last few years. Far better quality in hurling although lesser amount played.

I’d rather play a game of 5 aside than watch a soccer match on the weekend.

I'm exactly the opposite, I'd rather sit on me hole watching a good match. Has to be good mind you. Don't mind what league its in but if its sh*te I'd switch it off fairly quick.

I'm exactly the opposite, I'd rather sit on me hole watching a good match. Has to be good mind you. Don't mind what league its in but if its sh*te I'd switch it off fairly quick.

I’m close to doing the same, the knees aren’t what they used to be.

I’m sure I’ll get used to sitting back with a big bag of crisps and a can on a Sunday afternoon, obviously complaining loudly about having to suffer it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

begbysback wrote: »
    Sharing of sectarian views doesn’t make them Irish, they are most certainly Scottish.

Can you elaborate on these 'sectarian views'? My two shillings says no and you're one of these people who bandies the word around for shock value without knowing what it actually means.

Plenty of Scots will tell you that the sectarian element was imported from NI and only over the last 40 years or so.

I don't know where you and that other guy are getting any of this from. Could you elaborate? I've been going over there a few times a year for I guess the last 10, maybe more and this doesn't tally with anything I've seen or heard going on over there.

You do however gets lots of 'but I know a mans and says to me that' on this side of the pond who haven't the first clue about what goes on over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

"GAA" isnt a game, no more than FAI or IRFU is a game either, especially when unlike the IRFU or hockey association or whoever, the GAA has 4 sports on the go

anyhow, I'd say handball is the worst of the 4 to watch on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No it does not.

I loved playing and have played more than most people but at the same time I have grown up and I am not 16 and just don't get excited about it anymore.

In a Whatsapp group with childhood buddies the only ones who bang on about Liverpool, ManC etc all the time never kicked a ball in their life. Whereas the gang of us who played together for years and won trophies are not remotely bothered save a passing interest.

You no longer love football as much as you use to but that's just you, the vast majority of football fans never lose the love for the beautiful game no matter how riddiculous players saleries get. Why should someone's love of watching your team stop when you stop playing? that makes no sense. Following a club and playing yourself are 2 very different things. Gererally Man utd and Liverpool fans know there football. Football is an entertainment product and the more invested you are the more you enjoy it when your team wins. There's nothing wrong with getting passionate about football as it makes life more enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I loved playing and have played more than most people but at the same time I have grown up and I am not 16 and just don't get excited about it anymore. Sure I will watch the CL, the WCs, check the results etc etc and I can appreciate an exciting game and player.

I have also found that the more passionate/hardcore fans tend to be the least knowledgeable about the actual game as they have never played to any level. In a Whatsapp group with childhood buddies the only ones who bang on about Liverpool, ManC etc all the time never kicked a ball in their life. Whereas the gang of us who played together for years and won trophies are not remotely bothered save a passing interest.

Just my two cents.

I completely understand this. I wore club jerseys and tracksuits for most of my youth and never wanted to wear a big club named jersey, didn't see the point. I actually enjoyed playing the sport more than watching it. WC was fun but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch Columbia vs Namibia! Only in the last few years I decided to buy myself an Ireland Jersey, my first ever bought jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

It's not just an Irish phenomenon. English football teams are well supported around the world with the exception of Italy and Spain.

Agreed but most other countries don't show such distain for their own league ,you can see it in this thread .
    I don't think there's much disdain for English folk. Irish people want to see the English national team fail because they're our neighbors and one time rivals - it's a like a derby kinda thing. Also, the English media go mental over the England team and build them up only for them to fail. Which is hilarious.

Never see it when Scotland or Wales play .
    Celtic has a big following in this country because of it's Irish roots and heritage.

Bigger roots and heritage then say Sligo Rovers or Bohs ?
    A lot of Irish kids get spotted at a young age by English clubs. They want to play for them. The LoI needs to invest more in the infrastructure and coaching of Kids and not giving bloated salaries to CEOs.

What planet are you on ? Name one Loi CEO on a bloated salary ? Most do it for free AFAIK . What funds do you expect Loi teams to use for the new infrastructure ?
    The talent pool of domestic players that can compete at an international level is pretty scarce, hence the Granny rule craic which in fairness has served the National team well.

No issue with the rule if said player has a desire to play for Ireland , not us doing background checks and chasing players .
    That depends. If you live beside or near a LoI club, that should be your main focus. I'm from the west of Ireland, there is no LoI club near me, hence why I am an Arsenal fan.

I actually burst out laughing when I read that , so London is closer to you then Sligo, Galway,Donegal,Athlone etc .

I don't know where you and that other guy are getting any of this from. Could you elaborate? I've been going over there a few times a year for I guess the last 10, maybe more and this doesn't tally with anything I've seen or heard going on over there.

You do however gets lots of 'but I know a mans and says to me that' on this side of the pond who haven't the first clue about what goes on over there.

You must be on the wind up . Pretty sure if you look at pictures from Celtic v Linfield a couple of years ago you will see an array of IRA references in the crowd .

Yes it does sadden me how quite a large number of Irish football 'fans' have such utter disdain for the LOI. Fine you don't follow it or you have no interest but why the open sneering hostility? I think it says more about the 'fan' than the league.

It holds up a mirror and perhaps the 'fan' does not like what he sees. Too many (ahem) working class roots maybe...is it good old fashioned inferiority complex? 'Sure it's foreign. It must be better.'

Quite frankly there is not much difference in standard between the Championship and LOI. I have been to a lot of both over the years. The main difference is the size and physicality of the players- a lot fitter and bigger in Championship but it is a fully professional league so not surprising.

I live in England and within a 45 min radius I can go to a game in any league I want over this weekend and trust me I have watched some awful ****e over the years. I have honest to God seen better LOI games than some of PL games I have been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I had an amusing experience with this in Tenerife once.

I was sitting at a poolside bar talking to the Spanish barman. A group of Irish were lounging nearby being very loud and very drunk.

Barman says to me, stupid English drunks.

I said they're Irish like me. He said 'but they wear the English football jerseys. I thought Irish don't like English.'

I had an amusing experience with this in Tenerife once.

I was sitting at a poolside bar talking to the Spanish barman. A group of Irish were lounging nearby being very loud and very drunk.

Barman says to me, stupid English drunks.

I said they're Irish like me. He said 'but they wear the English football jerseys. I thought Irish don't like English.'

Amusing but depressing and all too familiar all the same. TBH I won't have told the barman they were Irish.

A few years back I was walking though Lima in Peru and I saw a lad in a Cork City jersey browsing in a shop. I had to say hello...:D

ps He was not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Quite frankly there is not much difference in standard between the Championship and LOI. I have been to a lot of both over the years. The main difference is the size and physicality of the players- a lot fitter and bigger in Championship but it is a fully professional league so not surprising.

There is a colossal difference. It's the 2nd time you have said this and it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Annd9 wrote: »
    Agreed but most other countries don't show such distain for their own league ,you can see it in this thread .

Never see it when Scotland or Wales play .

Bigger roots and heritage then say Sligo Rovers or Bohs ?

What planet are you on ? Name one Loi CEO on a bloated salary ? Most do it for free AFAIK . What funds do you expect Loi teams to use for the new infrastructure ?

No issue with the rule if said player has a desire to play for Ireland , not us doing background checks and chasing players .

I actually burst out laughing when I read that , so London is closer to you then Sligo, Galway,Donegal,Athlone etc .

The reason why is because we don't have a certain history with those nationalities.

Irrelevant, if people wish to follow Celtic that's their choice and pretty understandable seeing as though that club has Irish roots then say a Chelsea or Man City.

Meant to say FAI which of course runs the LoI.

Nope. Sligo Rovers is about an hour away from me. But I'm not from Sligo, why would I support them?

I'm not from London either. I grew up watching PL football as a kid, liked Arsenal and have supported them since. If I came from Sligo town I'd be a Rovers fan.

Pretty straightforward stuff here TBH.

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »
    There is a colossal difference. It's the 2nd time you have said this and it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

I have been going to LOI games on and off since the mid 1980s and going to regular games in England for the past 13 years and trust me I know my football. Now, without knowing you I sincerely doubt you have been as exposed to the same amount of football and at various levels as I have in the flesh- I am not some armchair expert swept up with the hype.

I also personally know players who have played in both and have agreed.

There are of course differences as I alluded to but it ain't that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who are "we" playing tomorrow ?

Edgware wrote: »

We are playing Hearts away on Boxing Day...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Edgware wrote: »

Can you not use google?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

We're a bit thin on the ground this time of year for thteads ,so it's either this , a poppy rant or teachers being on holiday for 86 weeks a year.

Was thinking about opening the marching season thread early this year but can't do it in May. We'd be out on our feet by July.

Yes it does sadden me how quite a large number of Irish football 'fans' have such utter disdain for the LOI. Fine you don't follow it or you have no interest but why the open sneering hostility? I think it says more about the 'fan' than the league.
    It holds up a mirror and perhaps the 'fan' does not like what he sees. Too many (ahem) working class roots maybe...is it good old fashioned inferiority complex? 'Sure it's foreign. It must be better.'
    I live in England and within a 45 min radius I can go to a game in any league I want over this weekend and trust me I have watched some awful ****e over the years. I have honest to God seen better LOI games than some of PL games I have been to.

Half of that is in reaction to the open sneering hostility and disdain of LOI 'fans' to Irish football 'fans' ... it's an automatic defensive response. It's not exactly a welcoming atmosphere to casual fans.

You don't need a mirror to tell you it is better, by a country mile. Not because it is foreign but by any objective sporting standard. Nothing to do with an inferiority complex. It's where 99% of Irish international players have made their careers over the last 40 years. That is the reality.

There's a massive jump between the Championship and the LOI, as evidenced by the small number of players who have made the jump.

You're confusing entertainment level and standard of play. Some Champions League matches can be dull as dishwater, a championship playoff final can be end to end stuff, as can a League of Ireland game.
    A minor GAA match can be more exciting than a senior provincial game with two teams playing defensive systems.
    If you prefer the excitement fine, but don't pretend it's a better standard of players.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Was thinking about opening the marching season thread early this year but can't do it in May. We'd be out on our feet by July.

Well there is a farmer bashing thread going on atm which has fallen down the pecking order a bit.

This thread was a decent effort but really it was done a few weeks back and by God no doubt it will be done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So.. if standard is the issue... anyone going to see matches of the U17 Euros that are being held right now in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have you watched the stAndard of league of Ireland. It's brutal. No wonder people watch quality football that the premiership offers

Annd9 wrote: »
    You must be on the wind up . Pretty sure if you look at pictures from Celtic v Linfield a couple of years ago you will see an array of IRA references in the crowd .

Pics please.

Maybe look up the dictionary for the meaning of sectarian while you're at it.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have you watched the stAndard of league of Ireland. It's brutal. No wonder people watch quality football that the premiership offers

Nobody is debating the gap between the premiership and the Loi , it's ridiculous to do so . The point is it's everybody's league , it belongs to you and me, it's mostly Irish players and all are Irish teams some of which are up there with the oldest in Europe . If people could imagine what it would be like if we could support it a bit more .

Teams already punch well above their weight in Europe but Irish people seem to have no grasp of how good teams do with respect to the budget's and facilities they have .

Imagine regular European nights in Cork ,Dundalk or Dublin ? be it group stages or not , it would be magic .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Everyone knows the LOI standard is bad but we need as a nation a properly run professional league.
    Unfortunately we suffer from the same thing the A league does in Australia that the traditional game there Aussie rules clashes with the sport as much as Gaa here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DellyBelly wrote: »

You are comparing often part time footballers training after their work with Sanchez and Pogba, on nearly half a million a week.

Catch yourself on ya fool.

How do we apply the "support your local team" logic to those who like the NFL here? Should we all have to follow the Patriots and slag off those who follow the Seahawks?

479393.jpg

jk23 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the LOI standard is bad but we need as a nation a properly run professional league.
    Unfortunately we suffer from the same thing the A league does in Australia that the traditional game there Aussie rules clashes with the sport as much as Gaa here.

The facts do not back this up though , football is by far the largest sport in terms of participation . The country stops when the national team qualify for a tournament and add to that the thousands who will attend that tournament supporting them .
    You could also stand in Dublin Airport on a Saturday morning and watch the unbelievable amount of people flying off for a match across the water .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

"jk23 wrote: »

I was in Australia after the launch of the A league and it wasn’t going great attendance wise, a spokesman from the A league was on Telly saying ‘I know the quality isn’t great but if people came out and supported it then we would have more money to make it better’ he was right but talking down your own product isn’t a good sell.
    I worked with some Aussie lads who were into soccer and they reckoned the NSW league was better than the A league quality wise and it was really popular with the large immigrant communities from places like Greece and it thrived on its clannishness.
    I’m sure it’s changed by now but the A league didn't really compete with Aussie rules or the NRL it competed with other soccer. LOI is more competing for support with the premier league or Celtic than GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

inforfun wrote: »
    So.. if standard is the issue... anyone going to see matches of the U17 Euros that are being held right now in Ireland?

Watched the Ireland match on the telly last night. The guts of half the team aren't Irish and that put me off so I won't be watching them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The u15 USA boys team defeated the USA senior World Cup Winning women's team 7,1 in a 60 minute exhibition match.

The Newcastle Jets boys side beat The Aussie women 5 nil.

The u15 USA boys team defeated the USA senior World Cup Winning women's team 7,1 in a 60 minute exhibition match.

The Newcastle Jets boys side beat The Aussie women 5 nil.

Just telling us that the women's game is a very poor standard compared to men, or boys, football but not sure what it had to do with this thread?

Watched the Ireland match on the telly last night. The guts of half the team aren't Irish and that put me off so I won't be watching them again.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

All Irish citizens and all but 2 (who have Irish parents) were born in Ireland you dope.

If you are going to make stupid, bordering on racist statements, at least do some sort of research before embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement