Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Influencers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I feel for younger people, especially young girls who are growing up thinking that being seen as an influencer on social media is something to aspire to be.

And the pressure on young girls to be basically makeup artists. There are 14 year olds looking like 18 year olds using huge amount of makeup and fake tan to be seen as 'socially acceptable'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I feel for younger people, especially young girls who are growing up thinking that being seen as an influencer on social media is something to aspire to be.

How is it any different to a a young girl aspiring to be a model or an actress or tv presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

....... wrote: »
    How is it any different to a a young girl aspiring to be a model or an actress or tv presenter?

You're kinda selling your soul being a social influencer. Most of them document nearly every aspect of their lives.

You're kinda selling your soul being a social influencer. Most of them document nearly every aspect of their lives.

Same as reality stars - some people crave that kind of attention/validation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have a 10 years old boy who thinks being a Youtuber is a great thing. I can't see how someone recording themselves playing games is any better than someone doing make up tutorials or whatever other nonsense. There is no need to overly moralize about it, they found marketing niche and they are exploiting it. It's up to regulation to do it's job.

I think parents have a role here too. If you let your kids on Instagram (or any other social media channel) when they are 10 or 11 you are asking for trouble. Teenages will do thing teenagers always do and I think there are challenges with new technologies but part of it is on parents, big bad tech companies can't be blamed for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Advertising affects us all.

I agree they saw an opportunity and took it - nothing wrong with that. But the ones who document every second of their life and make a big deal out of nails or whatever ****, still seem woefully vapid and narcissistic. The followers who worship them are worse though.

How do you know they’re documenting their actual life? The conflation of ‘reality’ tv and reality is really interesting. I don’t presume that an actor advertising aftershave, driving a sports car on a cool California evening at sunset is actually doing that regularly. But if a blogger films from their kitchen and talks about x product people do seem to assume it’s their actual life.

It’s very likely that they create characters and sell that character’s life. Though there will inevitably be crossover into real life. Not unlike an actor getting pictures of them self on the beach in a bikini the week before their movie launch or selling the rights to their wedding photos.

If for example someone thinks it’s perfectly normal for Chris Hemsworth to advertise Hugo Boss (a product they might or might not buy) but think it’s the job of a vapid Geordie Shore wench to blog about a fake tan product (which they will never buy) then it’s just a matter of whether they are personally interested in the product being advertised.

It’s just how advertising is done now. James Bond has always advertised cars in his movies. Actors advertise clothes designers on the red carpet and Marnie Simpson (Geordie Shore) advertises fake nails. It’s just advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

IMHO it's the gob****es who are "influenced" by these morons that have the problem

How do you know they’re documenting their actual life?

Arguably the reality star or blogger is doing a better job than the actor with the advertising because people DO believe its their real life whereas we all know that Chris Hemsworth is being paid to advertise Hugo Boss and its just an ad and not, ya know, reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

IMHO it's the gob****es who are "influenced" by these morons that have the problem

Ya exactly. If they can and want to make money from posting all over social media, why wouldn't they? It's like getting mad a pro footballer for making their money kicking a ball around. If nobody followed them, they wouldn't be getting paid.

I cant agree that aspiring to be a social media influencer is a bad thing, anyone aspiring to do anything to earn a living is a good thing IMO.

Boards.ie is a funny place. Life on the dole - youre a waster, a parasite. Social influencer making a living - boo, its a bad thing to aspire to!!

• Advertisement

I don't think there is problem to aspire but I would be very annoyed if my kids dropped out of school to be an influencer. I don't believe many will earn enough with it to sustain them for their lifetime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It all kinda goes over my head so I don't mind them. I hear the odd snippet and there usually seems to be some kind of drama going on

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think there is problem to aspire but I would be very annoyed if my kids dropped out of school to be an influencer. I don't believe many will earn enough with it to sustain them for their lifetime.

Is there ANY job that a child should drop out of school for though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mentioned in another thread, won’t say who it was but I happened to be in a restaurant and directly facing a sort of well known one and she not once looked away from her phone, through the meal (I was seated directly viewing her) barely talked to the person she was with unless it was to get them to take a video or photo ...and the poor waitresses fawning/fangirling over her whole she barely acknowledged anyone ...they seem to have a inflated ego once they hit ‘big time’
    And think they’re saving the world with their ‘opinions’

You hear this kind of thing a lot when it comes to these influencers.

The whole thing is just feeding into the mega narcissism that social media in general, promotes.

Is there ANY job that a child should drop out of school for though?

C'mon that's disingenuous. If they felt that they wanted to do trade instead of university course I would have no problem. However if they dropped out to vlog I would be less enthusiastic.

C'mon that's disingenuous. If they felt that they wanted to do trade instead of university course I would have no problem. However if they dropped out to vlog I would be less enthusiastic.

Well a trade isnt dropping out of education - its just learning a practical skill instead.

While I dont think a kid dropping out of school is a good idea for the most part, it would probably depend on the nature of the vlog tbh - if it involved some level of expertise that would be a useful transferrable skill then maybe its ok (Im thinking along the lines of the make up artist ones here).

There are different types of vloggers i think, some people are showcasing a skill, some are just selling their personality.

But the ability to do it at all probably gives some transferable marketing/sales skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My brother is doing a marketing class and he was saying there’s about 60% of the class ( mainly females) are using Instagram to try and blag free things ... there’s one I know whose desperate fir A mineral company to give her free stuff so she puts it in every post she does with 50 hashtags but she’s only had 30 followers

Has it ever worked for her?

This is it. It’s similar to wanting to be a reality TV star but I see it as different from acting or traditional modelling. And, to be frank, many influencers wouldn’t be good-looking enough or have the body to do traditional modelling. On their own social media pages, they can do a lot of honing and tweaking. I know an influencer who looks like a different person in real life. Yes, there is some airbrushing of traditional models but they are generally hot stuff to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My brother is doing a marketing class and he was saying there’s about 60% of the class ( mainly females) are using Instagram to try and blag free things ... there’s one I know whose desperate fir A mineral company to give her free stuff so she puts it in every post she does with 50 hashtags but she’s only had 30 followers

I would have thought that’s a great way to practice the skills and theory you’d learn in a marketing class.

I wouldn’t like to do it but I’m not involved in marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

“in the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes"
    Was once said by Andy Warhol and that time is now ,

Shows how bad society is that people like the Kardashians are famous and looked up to and being a social media influencer is an actually even thing,

• Advertisement

I cant agree that aspiring to be a social media influencer is a bad thing, anyone aspiring to do anything to earn a living is a good thing IMO.

Boards.ie is a funny place. Life on the dole - youre a waster, a parasite. Social influencer making a living - boo, its a bad thing to aspire to!!

That’s it. It’s very lucrative for only a small percentage from what I can see. The ones who are really successful probably can make it their day job and therefore have some downtime from it. But many wannabe influencers need to have full-time jobs too and I suppose I’d want more for my children than them commodifying their free time in the hopes of getting swag or pocket money. I’d rather they feed their brains.

And it seems like the more people enter the field, the more stretched the freebies will become. Companies are analysing influencers more now. Buying followers is fairly cheap but companies can actually check out how many of those followers are actually interacting with the influencers’ social media pages.

Traditional employment advertising goods was always more tough to crack into so the whole thing was fairly self-regulating and sustainable. But the influencer strand doesn’t seem particularly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

keep seeing she has one of the drinks in her photo but seems like they're not interested in her and her 30 followers or don't think she's worth it:D

Advertisement