Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Influencers

Options
  • 12-02-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Anyone here follow any of them or know any? Me I say fair play to them if they can make a living and money that way but I honestly would not know a single one or follow any and nor do I intend to. I would not call any of them celebrity's either. Was watching Panorama on the BBC last night and one on it had made 3 grand just for promoting something product for 10 minutes. I wonder how taxes work on that. If someone could do that here would the taxman then take a 3rd or two 3rds even?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It’s an income at the end of the day, so they’d need to register as a business and get that business to pay them a wage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

A barometer of how fcuked the world is, that these people exist, and there's an actual term for them.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

I follow mother of daughters and father of daughters on Instagram. They seem like nice enough people, they get some free or discounted stuff out of putting their lives up online and I don’t really judge them for it. They promote a lot of smaller businesses too.

I couldn’t do it. I don’t have a picture of my kinds online anywhere but more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It is the natural progression of web 2.0 with 4G internet speeds.

Before faster internet access and cumbersome load times for video content, you had blogs and some niche blogs were (and remain) capable of generating serious money from adverts and sponsors.

Now those same niches are expanding into video content/youtube/pod casts in line with 4G access.
    In essence, they provide value to people and there's an income derived from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

"Social Influencer" - sounds almost Orwellian to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A barometer of how fcuked the world is, that these people exist, and there's an actual term for them.

Why though? At the end of the day they're just freelancing PR spokespeople or marketing workers. Your influencer who posts photos of stuff and extols their virtues on Snapchat or Instagram is no different to the person who actually runs the company's own profile and posts directly to it, it's just that they're doing it on a freelance basis and aren't formally attached to a company the way a traditional marketing or PR worker would be.

To put this another way, it's kinda like the difference between someone who works directly for a politician, let's say Leo, with the job of appearing as his spokesperson and talking up his policies in public, and someone who doesn't work for any particular politician specifically but makes themselves available to talk about them for a fee on a case by case basis.

I don't get all the negativity about it. Many jobs and roles which would once have been done by full time employees have shifted to freelance style work in the era of zero hours and "the gig economy" - this is just that same concept applied to marketing. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that myself.

Do you find it annoying when a well known personality endorses a product in a more formal setting? For instance, when Brian O'Driscoll appeared in those ads for a travel agent, or when various sportspeople endorse products such as lucozade as being helpful and relevant to their field? Personally I don't see how the influencing thing is any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I feel sorry for them

Vacous Twits who dont have enough self esteem not to be reliant on the approval of strangers.

It's toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No. Never have and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's another word for "model".

You don't see very many arse-ugly "social influencers" around. Where in the past an attractive 17-year-old got their start in modelling handing out flyers at a junction in tight trousers, now they just start up an instagram account, post photos of themselves and videos of makeup tutorials.

Eventually they reach a critical mass of followers and companies start sending them free sh1t in exchange for a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

There’s one around where I am. She’s driving around in a lovely new Mercedes. There’s money to be made in any old sh*te and she’s making it so fair f*cks to her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

These people have the world bollixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

All I'm going to say is Dan TDM and Stompy. Chances are that if you have kids your are plagued by at least one of them. What is an attraction of watching a guy with bad teeth or blue hair playing Minecraft is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My young neice and nephew are both watching some little spoiled **** and his parents open and review toys

What's the world coming too

In my teens we had bebo and msn with both just as liable too cause ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The only problem I have with it is that many may not be fully tax compliant. But that's a common story with any freelancing sole trader in Ireland so Plus Ca Change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It basically people aspiring to be BARRY SCOTT

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

meeeeh wrote: »
    All I'm going to say is Dan TDM and Stompy. Chances are that if you have kids your are plagued by at least one of them. What is an attraction of watching a guy with bad teeth or blue hair playing Minecraft is beyond me.

He's done well for himself though, books, voice actor i a few big animated movies and tv shows and merchandise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's actually a few around where I live, all women. Seem to be doing well for themselves. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No I do not follow these fûcktards. No stupid god damn “celebrity” no matter how big or small will influence anything in my life.

Anyone who follows them or even worse wants to be like them because of their “influence” needs to be drop kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

It's the self importance they give them self that's the most painful to tolerate

If you can get paid decent money for 10 mins worth of work then fair play but don't be slapped c*nt about it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why though? At the end of the day they're just freelancing PR spokespeople or marketing workers. Your influencer who posts photos of stuff and extols their virtues on Snapchat or Instagram is no different to the person who actually runs the company's own profile and posts directly to it, it's just that they're doing it on a freelance basis and aren't formally attached to a company the way a traditional marketing or PR worker would be.

Go watch one of the Fyre Festival documentaries.

They're like the new religion: find ignorant lazy vulnerable ****wits and get them to blindly follow you because only THEY will make you happy.
    To put this another way, it's kinda like the difference between someone who works directly for a politician, let's say Leo, with the job of appearing as his spokesperson and talking up his policies in public, and someone who doesn't work for any particular politician specifically but makes themselves available to talk about them for a fee on a case by case basis.

I don't get all the negativity about it. Many jobs and roles which would once have been done by full time employees have shifted to freelance style work in the era of zero hours and "the gig economy" - this is just that same concept applied to marketing. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that myself.

Do you find it annoying when a well known personality endorses a product in a more formal setting? For instance, when Brian O'Driscoll appeared in those ads for a travel agent, or when various sportspeople endorse products such as lucozade as being helpful and relevant to their field? Personally I don't see how the influencing thing is any different.

Except these people are accountable.

And if you go to a certain travel agent JUST because Brian O'Driscoll does, you're an idiot.

I'd argue that people who follow this self-important morons are sheep, but sheep do atually serve a purpose.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

They're nice to look at. I wouldn't ascribe any influence to them, other than as an advertising tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Social Influencer - Horrible phrase

Jesus was a social influencer, and a pretty darn good one at that.

2000 years later and he has a billion people on their knees everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's been an issue of tax payment in the past as there has been with the #ad usage.
    There's clever ways around the #ad though, keep an eye on sports stars using instagram and managing to get logos into the shot e.g. steering wheel, car badge seen on keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They're nice to look at. I wouldn't ascribe any influence to them, other than as an advertising tool.

Yeah, but that's all they are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jesus was a social influencer, and a pretty darn good one at that.

2000 years later and he has a billion people on their knees everyday.

In fairness, that wasn't Jesus - that was his various "followers" piggy-backing on his reputation!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It wouldn't be so bad if they were just an advertising tool and it was just about selling a make up range, moisturizers or clothing but the worse thing for me is the effect it is having a younger folks about body image. Is it good that they all want to look a certain way or have a certain type of body and if you don't when then you are some sort of freak?

Also the lack of regulation about this and the lack of action taken against Social influencers when they are found to breaking the regulations is another problem I have. It seems to be the wild west of advertising that some influencers will set themselves up as this independent person who is telling which of all the moisturisers they try which one is the best and giving the impression they are not being paid by the companies for this and then its found out actually the reason why they said Product A was the best was because they got paid to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Like many here I've no interested in these narcissistic people.

However. I did come across this while having breakfast (warning video auto starts with music so turn down volume if in work!)

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p070bkx0/how-to-become-a-successful-digital-influencer

In Spain, fashion and beauty brings approximately €30bn per year to the economy.

This video shows how the Autonomous University of Madrid is working to create the next generation of virtual and visual influencers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I used to follow a 'fitness and lifestyle' influencer but I stopped as there were just too many Instagram stories. I felt like I knew too much about her from the second she got up the morning until she laid her head at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

It's made stalking young attractive women easier than ever.

Advertisement