Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M103 passed in Canada

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Okay. I'm now officially lost about what Islamophobia is. Now, I, originally thought it was going to be like any phobia. An irrational fear or distrust of Islam. Gotcha. That makes sense. Or racism/bigotry based solely around the idea that people are muslim. Ok. That makes sense too. but.... it seems to be more than the above..

So.. Let me ask some simple points. Is it Islamophobia if I:

Criticise Islam because of the behavior of some followers of the religion?

Criticise Islam because of the vagueness of the Koran and the ability for muslims to interpret it very freely? (like the Bible is used for justifications)

Comment on Islamic religious practices in a negative way?

Poke fun at the Prophet Mohammad?

Is there a difference between criticizing Muslims and criticising Islam?

If I attach blame or responsibility to one group of Muslims, am I automatically an Islamophobe?

And lastly, Is any criticism of Islam possible without being an Islamophobe?

................ And next:

What the hell is the difference between Islamophobia and Bigotry? (Since I thought being a bigot included religious intolerance).

And why has a new word been coined just for Islam? Is there now a Christianophobia, Jediophobia, OpusDeiophobia?

I'm just seeking to understand what is covered under Islamophobia... because after monitoring this thread I am completely confused.

Officialy under the current definition, doing any of these things is islamophobia. This is why many of us find this motion problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Before I left roughly 13 years ago, I hadn't travelled that much outside of Europe.. and I used to believe that free speech was the same everywhere in the western world (I was Definitely very naive about many things). Then I travelled extensively, and met Americans. :D [From age groups & social groups which normally didn't come to Ireland as tourists]

And I learned the difference between the Free Speech logic that I grew up with in Ireland (I'm 40 now) versus the Free Speech that Americans advocated. I listened to their radio stations, their talk shows etc, debated with them over whiskey and I was convinced that our version of Free Speech was far more rational and reasonable. I still do. A degree of common sense. Alas, in my visits home since then I've noticed the shift away from the traditional versions of Free Speech towards the more American idea.

I honestly don't want Ireland or Europe to turn into America. Unrestrained free speech is just as dangerous as censorship. They have different implications for a society, but the dangers remain. Now, I've lived 7 years in China with massive amounts of censorship and a definite lack of Free Speech. I teach here at university levels, and I'm bound by that same censorship every time I open my mouth. I won't be able to stick it much longer, and will return to Europe soon... but If Europe was to accept the ideas of complete free speech (without accepting the consequences), then I won't be staying in Europe long either.

By that stage, it will be too late. It's not simply the case of issuing a law. China can do that because it's a police state. A democratic system with a western set of laws, can't. Society needs time to debate, accept/refuse/modify, and then later, absorb changes.

In many ways, I do think this is a major problem in Europe. All these changes over the last decade or so, and there's been very little waiting for them to be either accepted or absorbed/merged into society. Instead, the laws just keep rolling out in one form or another trying to tackle issues with short-term solutions.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me :) but I do believe that human society needs rules, laws, and guidelines. I know I do. Just as there should be reasonable limitations on Free Speech, or other areas that have such high potential for manipulation and abuse. ;)

What dangers do you have in mind when you fear complete/american free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

This post has been deleted.

As with Animal Farm, 'all animals are equal' is soon amended of course to include '..but some animals are more equal than others'.

People should take a look at the almost unmentioned and undebated 'Hate crimes' bill making it's way through the Dail, it's no less Orwellian then this Canadian guff and yet it, like the bill recognizing Travellers as an ethnic group, will likely pass unopposed and with a lot of self congratulatory back slapping.
    Creating protected subsets of citizens isn't equality, it's the opposite of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭SeanW

Zaph wrote: »
    So it's sad that people can't be openly racist? Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia? Or blatant sexism? Or abusing members of a different religion? Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns Islamophobia?
    Dear lord, I'm not even sure where to start with this garbage. I'll take it order.
    So it's sad that people can't be openly racist?
    Two problems with this:
    1) You can't be racist against Islam because Islam is not a race.
    2) In a society that is both healthy and free, bad ideas die precisely because the people pushing the ideas are allowed to speak. It is like sunlight to a vampire. Best example is the KKK in the United States. Throughout the 20th century, there were no great efforts to stop the KKK from marching wherever or saying whatever they wanted. So they pranced around the place with their stupid white hoods and defiling symbols of the religion they supposedly cherish (by burning the Christian cross) and they "somehow" went from millions of members in the 1920s to about 5000 today. I.E. people could clearly see from the Klansmen themselves what they were about and came to the logical conclusion.
    For the same reason I am also of the view that hate preaching Imams should be allowed to preach and their speeches should be carried on the news the same way KKK rallies were covered in the US during that organisations decline - when Anjem Choudhury comes out with some drivel or when an Imam compares rape victims to "uncovered meat", or when some randomers organise a protest to say things like "Freedom go to hell" "Your 9/11 is on its way" or "Islam will dominate the world" make it front page news or include it in all nightly news broadcasts, and don't sugar coat it.

Multiculturalism would die in the same way that the KKK did, and both for the same reasons.
    Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia?
    Do you want to "stop people engaging in homophobia?" If so, how? Do you realise that to put such a view into practice would require you to oppose Islam worldwide with ever fiber of your being? Because the Islamic texts are are clear - homosexuality is a grave sin against Allah and those guilty of it should be put to death, homophobia is commonplace among Islamic thought and a central feature of virtually all Islamic governments.

Or is it only Christian bakeries who don't want to bake gay wedding cakes that you have a problem with?
    Or blatant sexism?
    Do you want to jail Feminists who tweet #killallmen? Because that's pretty sexist ... Do you object to gender quotas? Sexist laws like the Swedish model on sex work? Sexist laws against paternity testing? Lop-sided family courts?

Or is "blatant sexism" OK when it's against men and promoted at the highest levels of society?
    Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns ...
    Again, multiple problems with this:
    A free society rejects censorship on principle. Censorship is usually used to silence opposition, e.g. like the Great Firewall of China. That's usually what it's about - "Don't question me/my ideology/my propaganda or you will pay the price" or "I don't want you to see or hear other points of view except mine". That kind of thing belongs in Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.
    Islamophobia?
    A phobia is an irrational fear. For a long list of reasons, fear of certain strains of modern Islamic thought is perfectly rational, as is rejection of core principles.

Similarly, If you don't like Adolf Hitler, does that make you Naziphobic? Of course not, because a dislike for Nazis is perfectly rational.

Excellent Post. Spot on, SeanW

Advertisement