Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14,500 traffic convictions to be quashed over Garda error

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

How can one organisation possibly make close to one million administration errors?

I sincerely hope that was a system issue of some sort because if that was human error thats beyond shocking, it would take probably 100 people making errors everyday for an entire year to clock up that mess of numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Noirín O'Sullivan is on the news more than Sharon Ní Bheoláin. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

222233 wrote: »

I sincerely hope that was a system issue of some sort because if that was human error thats beyond shocking, it would take probably 100 people making errors everyday for an entire year to clock up that mess of numbers.

You know its not

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

diomed wrote: »
    Please be kind. Garda morale is at an all-time low.
    Self inflicted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

The Garda in Killinascully would do a better job than the shower of Apes are running the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Donal55 wrote: »
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Is that stupid cow still in a job ?

Francis Fitzgerald?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

ebbsy wrote: »
    Both.

Yea all 4 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

So each time a member is in court they swear to tell the truth & the whole truth , Yet there were two million breath tests done or claimed to have been done but only a million were actually done, How many more les are going to come out in a now discredted force ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Does lying come easy to all gaurds? There seems to be a prioritisation of protecting each other than telling to truth. What about those Donegal gaurds who essentially tried framed a man for murder? Any jail time for them? No, they retired on pensions.

So each time a member is in court they swear to tell the truth & the whole truth , Yet there were two million breath tests done or claimed to have been done but only a million were actually done, How many more les are going to come out in a now discredted force ?
    Garda tell lies in court I know of a case and a Women who was asked by Garda to tell lies in court to get a conviction but she never had to do it end but she was still asked to tell lies in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Does lying come easy to all gaurds? There seems to be a prioritisation of protecting each other than telling to truth. What about those Donegal gaurds who essentially tried framed a man for murder? Any jail time for them? No, they retired on pensions.

I saw a story about gardai trying to intimidate a man into making a confession, by telling him his wife would be taken into custody ''and she'll be in the station'' (sounds somehow sinister to me) and that their children would be taken into state care.

Then there was the TUSLA related allegations pasted into the whistleblowers files.

It's starting to look like soviet russia or something.

steddyeddy wrote: »

The Garda are like other institutions of the State that need to be reformed from the Top down & its still who you know then what you know.

I saw a story about gardai trying to intimidate a man into making a confession, by telling him his wife would be taken into custody ''and she'll be in the station'' (sounds somehow sinister to me) and that their children would be taken into state care.

Then there was the TUSLA related allegations pasted into the whistleblowers files.

I cant see why folks are shocked by this, Back in te 70,s/80,s they did a lot worse. Sallins Train Robbery in 1976. This case eventually led to accusations that a "Heavy Gang" within the force intimidated and tortured accused. This eventually led to a Presidential pardon for one of the accused.

The Kerry Babies case was one of the first public inquiries into mishandling of a Garda investigation also sexual abuse in the Dublin archdiocese & of course the grangegorman killings , Where does it end ?

I cant see why folks are shocked by this, Back in te 70,s/80,s they did a lot worse. Sallins Train Robbery in 1976. This case eventually led to accusations that a "Heavy Gang" within the force intimidated and tortured accused. This eventually led to a Presidential pardon for one of the accused.

The Kerry Babies case was one of the first public inquiries into mishandling of a Garda investigation also sexual abuse in the Dublin archdiocese & of course the grangegorman killings , Where does it end ?

It's the fact that it still happens that shocks me.:mad:

I think one hundred percent we need to start to start Jailing Corrupt Gardai and Corrupt Tusla Staff for at least 15 to 20 years in Jail where there is Evidence/proof of Corruption and Corrupt Practices.

Very Upsetting what you post but very true how do we stop all this ?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

I hope this episode isn't forgotten when our finest put the screws on the Government for another €50 million or so. But then again successive ministers for
    justice keep telling us that we have the best police force in the world.

I have seen this myself and Gardai not Omitting all the Evidence this is telling lies withhold/omit information this lying and deception to me and when I brought this to the attention of the Garda I was told it was a error.

I have seen this myself and Gardai not Omitting all the Evidence this is telling lies withhold/omit information this lying and deception to me and when I brought this to the attention of the Garda I was told it was a error.

If someone told them their driving without in-date tax was an error I'd say you can imagine what would happen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Many people have been convicted in the special criminal court of being members of unlawful organisation on the opinion evidence of garda chief superintendents. Serve years in jail.

The law allows for "opinion evidence" for this type of thing - mainly because a high ranking garda officer would never lie. Sure they wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ted111 wrote: »
    The law allows for "opinion evidence" for this type of thing - mainly because a high ranking garda officer would never lie. Sure they wouldn't.

It's not that they'd "never lie", but more that they wouldn't (shouldn't) give the opinion evidence unless they're completely satisfied that the evidence is true beyond a reasonable doubt. Obviously this isn't happening all the time. But anyone that is still at it in this age of technology and mistrust deserves to get caught.

Again, and there's no refuting what has been presented and said in relation to this, but don't tar all the guards on the street with this brush. Yes, it's a high volume of alleged misconduct/corruption/whatever you want to call it, but it's still only a small fraction of the tens of thousands of cases that go ahead every year. This is why i left. I can honestly say that i never tried to get one over on someone, i've never planted or fabricated evidence, and i tried to do my job as best i can within the confines of the law. What i found was that regardless of how good or proper i did my job, i was still constantly being judged because of other members, whom i never heard of or met, carrying on like power-tripping douches. It gets tiring trying to do the job of a Garda where you're automatically judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

How could someone attack the grave of a little baby, sickos.
    http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/fresh-hope-for-solving-thirty-year-old-mystery-of-kerry-babies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How does one know if they have dodgey points?
    Expensive business, I have 6 that's two speeding fines €160, and €350 per year on insurance. Totalling €1160. This expense also affects your chances of seeking a new employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I always think of stories like this when people make glib comments about the middle east. We were not much different in our recent history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

There's a culture in this country of people thinking they're doing you a favour if they actually do what they're being paid to do. And if they don't do it then they shouldn't be upset or disciplined or horror of horrors, fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone know anything about the "Gang of 12"? I heard about them briefly recently. Must ask the guy who told me for more information.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Strange that the gardai were looking for fresh information when they still maintain to
    this day that the baby that washed up on the beach is Joanne Hayes'(superfecundation)
    They consistently refused to take Joanne up on her open ended offer to provide dna match
    with that baby. The results of which would add to the long list of lies they were caught in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Can someone please explain to me how Enda can restate his confidence in commissioner O'Sullivan.

The CSO don't believe what the guards say, thousands of people have been wrongly convicted, they got breath test figures wrong by a million, over stated the number of checkpoints carried out by a factor of 2 and according to herself there is more to come out, whistleblower treatment, etc,etc,etc...

Have the guards got a video of him enjoying some trump esq "shower" time with some Russian ladies, or some irish rent boys or keeping his hands in his pockets in mass or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

RustyNut wrote: »
    The CSO don't believe what the guards say, thousands of people have been wrongly convicted, they got breath test figures wrong by a million, over stated the number of checkpoints carried out by a factor of 2 and according to herself there is more to come out, whistleblower treatment, etc,etc,etc...

The figures that were trotted out in 2015 regarding firearms that were stolen from licenced firearms owners were a joke too.

The Gardaí claimed that almost 1700 licenced firearms were stolen from 2010 to 2014. It was nowhere near that figure. The Gardaí had included toy guns, airsoft guns, replicas, telescopic sights, gun safes, and a host of other items that aren't legally firearms.

The figures for stolen shotguns didn't add up too. The number stated was over 100% more than was actually recorded once you added up the various categories.

If a box of bullets/cartridges was stolen, they put these down as firearms. So if a box of 25 cartridges were stolen, it went onto Pulse as 25 stolen firearms.

The CSO aren't the only ones who don't believe Garda figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jaysus, O'Sullivan has a neck like a jockeys bollix.

The idea or taking responsibility for anything in this country is but a nice idea at this stage.

Advertisement