Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia - Daring to Criticise

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

crockholm wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend of mine who worked as a quantity surveyor for a big Italian Construction Company in Saudi, a good middle of the road type fellah with no real strong opinions on anything-but he actually asked his Company to move him back to europe,even though on Little more than half the wages because he just couldn't keep going to work knowing what he did,seeing what he saw-he just couldn't be a part of it any longer.

I would probably just drink more and try to forget-just to keep the fat paycheck coming in, so fair play to the man IMO.

Saudi Arabia is a dry country (pun not intended), unless you're near one of the borders (or the big bridge they built to the den of debauchery that is Bahrain) the only thing you'll likely have access to is the local version of poitín, called siddique, and that stuff'll make you blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Tugboats wrote: »
    Great bunch of lads. They were great in USA 94
    I liked their bit in the opening ceremony :D

Any time I ever read about the legal system in Saudi Arabia, I wind up saying "f*ck no, really?!" very loudly over and over. Always somehow manage to have something a bit worse than I'd've ever considered them having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It annoys me so much that Sweden apologised to them. Gives out the message that Sweden were in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Saudi Arabia is a dry country (pun not intended), unless you're near one of the borders (or the big bridge they built to the den of debauchery that is Bahrain) the only thing you'll likely have access to is the local version of poitín, called siddique, and that stuff'll make you blind.

Plenty of home brewed wine and cider while i was there, and i wasn't living in a compound. If you go to Salwa compound you can get pints of lager and other drinks.
    There was no bother getting Smirnoff or Johnny Walker either.
    Then there were the events in the DQ, where you could get cans of Guinness or Carlsberg, and shots of whiskey etc. I was just at the Irish embassy do, but the others were similar i believe.

Honestly, I drank more in Saudi than I do at home.

Plenty of money, but I hated the disparity. 5 months was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

crockholm wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend of mine who worked as a quantity surveyor for a big Italian Construction Company in Saudi, a good middle of the road type fellah with no real strong opinions on anything-but he actually asked his Company to move him back to europe,even though on Little more than half the wages because he just couldn't keep going to work knowing what he did,seeing what he saw-he just couldn't be a part of it any longer.

I would probably just drink more and try to forget-just to keep the fat paycheck coming in, so fair play to the man IMO.

Fair play to him for standing up for his principles. Wages out there are obscene. As you say, most would turn a blind eye and continue to collect their lucrative paychecks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement