Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2019, 09:37   #31
average_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
Are you in favor of landlords giving their ID to member of the public who show up to viewing, for their safety too?
Yep. i think both sides need to.be sure who they are meeting.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 09:45   #32
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_runner View Post
Yep. i think both sides need to.be sure who they are meeting.
Grand. Should a taxi drivers ask for IDs before she drives off with the person in the car? Seems a strange standard to apply for house viewings alone. I am sure there are more situations analogous.

Haven't thought much about the GDPR and just showing people the IDs, but certainly taking copies would be illegal.
20-07-2019, 10:01   #33
ted1

Quote:
Are you in favor of landlords giving their ID to member of the public who show up to viewing, for their safety too?
I’d have no issue showing it.
20-07-2019, 10:11   #34
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
I’d have no issue showing it.
Me neither, happy to show driving licence/passport to any tenant who requests it.
20-07-2019, 11:44   #35
nox001

I don’t see how there could be any GDPR issue for just requesting and looking at an ID once it’s not copied.
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 12:20   #36
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I don’t see how there could be any GDPR issue for just requesting and looking at an ID once it’s not copied.
It would certainly be in scope. The question would be what is the lawful basis, etc.
20-07-2019, 12:46   #37
Dav010

Quote:
It would certainly be in scope. The question would be what is the lawful basis, etc.
Confirming the identity of the applicant.
20-07-2019, 13:40   #38
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
Confirming the identity of the applicant.
That is not one of the lawful bases listed in Article 6. The only one it might be is legitimate interest and the DPC has already told us that, that won't work for this purpose.
20-07-2019, 14:42   #39
nox001

Quote:
How? You aren’t handling any information you are simply viewing it.

Honestly this is starting to sound like “freemen of the land” nonsense. Show the ID, who cares? We have to show ID for damn near everything nowadays why is it an issue to do it for this?

How are you supposed to verify a persons identity if you can’t ask for ID?
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 14:56   #40
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
How? You aren’t handling any information you are simply viewing it.

Honestly this is starting to sound like “freemen of the land” nonsense. Show the ID, who cares? We have to show ID for damn near everything nowadays why is it an issue to do it for this?

How are you supposed to verify a persons identity if you can’t ask for ID?
‘processing’ means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction;

There is no issue with checking people's IDs provided you have a lawful basis for doing so. The reason why we would want to have personal data laws apply to things like checking IDs is because of the potential for misuse by rogue data controllers.

If you have a lawful basis and follow the other GDPR requirements then you can of course look at IDs. I did not say that this was prohibited in the case of landlords and viewings, I wondered what the DPC would have to say. What they lawful basis would be and does it follow the principles of data processing.

I did say that collecting it is prohibited.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion