Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2019, 18:32   #1
orrwein

Renting in Dublin

Hi,
My wife and I will be moving to Dublin with our young son (3) in a few months. We've heard a lot about the challenging rental market in Dublin, and are trying to do our due diligence on which neighborhoods we should be focusing our search on.
I will be working in Burlington Plaza. We are looking for a safe and relatively quiet neighborhood that is no more than ~30 minutes away from the office (can be either by foot or other means). Either a house or apartment would work.

Would really appreciate any advice on which neighborhoods fit the bill for being nice for families, safe, and relatively close to the office. Neighborhoods / areas outside Dublin are up for consideration as well, as long as they are close to the train and are ~30 minutes away.

Thanks,
Orr
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 18:40   #2
Mr.S

Obvious choices for proximity and fitting your requirements:

Sandymount
Ballsbridge
Blackrock
Ranelagh
Rathmines
Rathgar

But happen to be the priciest neighbourhoods in Dublin.

Irishtown / Ringsend
Kimmage
Harolds Cross
Terenure / Bushy Park

Are also worth checking out and slightly cheaper.

Your office location is fairly central but a bit of a pain to commute to via public transport, and I'd avoid outside of Dublin all together for sanity sake.

You could also look any any stop along the Dart line, as there's a Dart stop within 15 mins walk - but then factor in time on trains.

Last edited by Mr.S; 10-07-2019 at 18:44.
10-07-2019, 18:43   #3
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrwein View Post
Hi,
My wife and I will be moving to Dublin with our young son (3) in a few months. We've heard a lot about the challenging rental market in Dublin, and are trying to do our due diligence on which neighborhoods we should be focusing our search on.
I will be working in Burlington Plaza. We are looking for a safe and relatively quiet neighborhood that is no more than ~30 minutes away from the office (can be either by foot or other means). Either a house or apartment would work.

Would really appreciate any advice on which neighborhoods fit the bill for being nice for families, safe, and relatively close to the office. Neighborhoods / areas outside Dublin are up for consideration as well, as long as they are close to the train and are ~30 minutes away.

Thanks,
Orr
Accommodation is of course an issue but if working in Burlington Plaza I would definetely stay south of the River Liffey. Check out areas along the Luas Green Line such as Milltown Dundrum Ballinteer Stillorgan Kilmacud. All are within 15 minutes walk of the Luas tram line which would bring you to Ranelagh which would be 10/15 minutes walk to Burlington Plaza.
All these areas are well served by shopping centres, sports faciities, parks, schools and hospitals.
Good. Luck and welcome to Ireland
11-07-2019, 08:50   #4
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
Accommodation is of course an issue but if working in Burlington Plaza I would definetely stay south of the River Liffey. Check out areas along the Luas Green Line such as Milltown Dundrum Ballinteer Stillorgan Kilmacud. All are within 15 minutes walk of the Luas tram line which would bring you to Ranelagh which would be 10/15 minutes walk to Burlington Plaza.
All these areas are well served by shopping centres, sports faciities, parks, schools and hospitals.
Good. Luck and welcome to Ireland
The Dart line which is a railway line runs from Howth on the northside to Greystone in the south. Its an ok service. The Luas Green line runs from Cabra in the north, through the city centre and out to Carrickmines in the south. The line from Charlemont to Carrickmines runs alon an old railwayline and so doesnt be impeded by car traffic
11-07-2019, 11:00   #5
Fan of Netflix

It entirely depends on your budget. Most of the areas mentioned thus far are very expensive.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 12:43   #6
accensi0n

Sandyford near the Luas line would be an option as well. Closer to ~40 mins travel.
Apartments, such as those in the Beacon. Probably about 1900 per month for a 2 bed.

There's also the No. 11 bus serving that area.
11-07-2019, 13:07   #7
Samuel T. Cogley

Entirely depends on your budget but Raheny, Killester and Clontarf on the Northside. Worked in Burlington Plaza myself and the DART service is great to Grand Canal Dock. Approx. 15 minutes walk.
11-07-2019, 13:15   #8
Interested Observer

What is your budget? Can't really answer without that.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion