Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 out of 10 disqualified drivers still on the road

Options
  • 09-05-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

i’m really at a loss to describe how angry this makes me feel. Every single ****in day I get up at stupid o clock, so I can get my kids ready for school, get them to childminder, got o work, and pay my taxes, so I can keep a roof over our heads, feed my family, scrape whatever pennies I can together for later in life.

All the while the lowlifes and dregs of society keep getting away with ****in murder. Drive while disqualified, back out on the streets after your 58th conviction, how many, how many more times will we hear this horse**** before someone loses the plot and goes postal in this country.

I’m telling ya, it’s around the ****in corner the way it’s going.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0509/1048415-garda-harris-overtime/

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

9 out of 10 drivers not surrendering their license does not mean that 9 out of 10 suspended drivers are still on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

i’m really at a loss to describe how angry this makes me feel. Every single ****in day I get up at stupid o clock, so I can get my kids ready for school, get them to childminder, got o work, and pay my taxes, so I can keep a roof over our heads, feed my family, scrape whatever pennies I can together for later in life.

All the while the lowlifes and dregs of society keep getting away with ****in murder. Drive while disqualified, back out on the streets after your 58th conviction, how many, how many more times will we hear this horse**** before someone loses the plot and goes postal in this country.

I’m telling ya, it’s around the ****in corner the way it’s going.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0509/1048415-garda-harris-overtime/

We need a repeal style movement to overhaul our justice system. Our leaders won't tackle this. 3 strike rule is desperately needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Tzardine wrote: »
    9 out of 10 drivers not surrendering their license does not mean that 9 out of 10 suspended drivers are still on the road.

Correct, probably closer to 10 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Tzardine wrote: »

Out of all the stats in the article, that’s what you took issue with?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Suggesting harsh sentencing doesn't go down well here so be prepared for lots of responses saying we need to understand why firstly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yes. It is.

I agree with everything the op says. The situation is a disgrace.

But saying 9/10 suspended drivers are still on the road is incorrect and sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hal3000 wrote: »
    We need a repeal style movement to overhaul our justice system. Our leaders won't tackle this. 3 strike rule is desperately needed.
    It's only for felonies in the US. You can't give someone a long sentence for three shoplifting convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's only for felonies in the US. You can't give someone a long sentence for three shoplifting convictions.
    Why not?

I'm not suggesting that. Harsh sentencing for serious crimes back up by 3 strike rule.

Edgware wrote: »
    Why not?
    Well that's back to the Victorian predilection of deporting people for stealing a loaf of bread. You'd also have a huge surge in the prison population for a lot of non-violent crimes.

• Advertisement

Well that's back to the Victorian predilection of deporting people for stealing a loaf of bread. You'd also have a huge surge in the prison population for a lot of non-violent crimes.
    And?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Hal3000 wrote:

No thanks, one was enough.

And?
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Edgware wrote:
    Why not?

If you're genuinely asking that question then you need to educate yourself on the possible consequences of such an un-implementable law.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Whataboutery, no one believes shoplifting is a serious crime worthy of a long sentence, it's violent criminals who are walking around with double/triple digit convictions who society needs a break from. Imagine you or a loved one gets cracked across the head and their wallet or phone is taken, and it comes out that the perpetrator has been before a judge multiple times already, do you not think that a each time an offender is let walk free the judicial system is responsible for anyone else they may harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It's the title of the thread YOU posted

El_Bee wrote: »
    Whataboutery, no one believes shoplifting is a serious crime worthy of a long sentence, it's violent criminals who are walking around with double/triple digit convictions who society needs a break from. Imagine you or a loved one gets cracked across the head and their wallet or phone is taken, and it comes out that the perpetrator has been before a judge multiple times already, do you not think that a each time an offender is let walk free the judicial system is responsible for anyone else they may harm?

And if you go back through their list of convictions you will often see they started with the bit of shoplifting. Get retaliation in first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

And?

How much more taxes are you happy to pay to support the huge increase in prison population? Are you happy to pay the bill for the massive increase in the number of prison officers to be recruited?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The problem with disqualified drivers still driving is a simple management issue.
    They have already gone through the justice system.
    Penalty applied as appropriate according to law.
    The fact that they can continue to drive without further penalty is a scandal that should be addressed without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Snotty wrote: »
    It's the title of the thread YOU posted

Eh, yeah I noticed that.

My point being, the fact that 9 out of 10 not handing in their licenses, may not necessarily mean that they are all still driving. But do people really believe, that those ppl who chose to disobey the instructions of the judge and hand in their driving license, have just tucked their license away and are taking the bus?!

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    How much more taxes are you happy to pay to support the huge increase in prison population? Are you happy to pay the bill for the massive increase in the number of prison officers to be recruited?

Theres only a certain number of scumbags in the country. Lock them up and any prospective dirtbirds willbe deterred.
    We're paying tax for nothing as it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hal3000 wrote: »

We don't need a 3 strike rule. We need a system that can work promptly. The lack of one should not lead to encouraging the poor use of throwing away the key that's done in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ugh I had a seizure and had to give mine up. :(

I HATE SEIZURES! STUPID BRAIN!

I think i can get it back soon though ...cuz its been nearly a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is why cyclists and pedestrians need to wear hi viz

Advertisement