Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the solution to Ireland's claim culture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

pgj2015 wrote: »

They're keeping lawyers and journalists in work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Make 10 more threads a day about it. That'll show em OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

No idea TBH. It's desperate to hear jobs are being put at risk due to rising amount of claims pulling up insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should start by having a register of all the doctors who sign these injuries off, is there a pattern? Does the sun rise in the morning? They should be struck off for assisting with fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Throw the daft ones outta court (has happened a few times recently) and hit the claimants with costs.

And reduce the awards. £4k for whiplash in UK, €20k here. Why the difference?

Investigate solicitors for taking fraudulent claims to court. We need more of them telling people who come into their office to catch themselves on, no way I'm taking that in front of a judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Den14 wrote: »
    No idea TBH. It's desperate to hear jobs are being put at risk due to rising amount of claims pulling up insurance costs.

it is, you would have to feel sorry for someone who sets up a business, works hard, employs staff. then to have it all come to nothing because some low life scum who are too lazy and selfish to do a days work, decide to make some bull$hit claim and end up getting thousands for a carpet burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shoot the lawyers, shoot the judges, shoot the legislators.

They should start by having a register of all the doctors who sign these injuries off, is there a pattern? Does the sun rise in the morning? They should be struck off for assisting with fraud.

No other doctor could take on their patients. They are all full up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Very simple really.
    Just prosecute fraudulent claimants. You would surprised how fast word gets around.

This concept is too logical though for our government to implement. And it would negatively affect solicitor trade, so there would be a big push-back from those shysters.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Very simple really.
    Just prosecute fraudulent claimants. You would surprised how fast word gets around.

This concept is too logical though for our government to implement. And it would negatively affect solicitor trade, so there would be a big push-back from those shysters.

It would have a positive effect for the solicitor trade. More prosecutions equals more work.

• Advertisement

Parents should discard the bubble wrap. Children nowadays are far too cosseted.

Can we just start at the very beginning? (it's a very good place to start...)

Does Ireland actually have a culture of compensation claims? You can quote all the individual claims that you find ludicrous but I don't believe there's any evidence for a trend towards a culture of compensation, certainly not compared to countries like the USA.

Parents should discard the bubble wrap. Children nowadays are far too cosseted.

but the parents know there is nothing wrong with their kids, they just pretend there is so they can cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think about it.

You could get up every morning, sit in a traffic jam, work 10 hours, come home and your kids are already sleeping, for take home salary of 30K.

Or you could take a stumble on a dodgy pavement, have some coffee spill on you, slip in a leisure centre and get the same money, or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Make parents sign disclaimers on entry, if they don’t want to sign it, fúck off somewhere else.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Think about it.

You could get up every morning, sit in a traffic jam, work 10 hours, come home and your kids are already sleeping, for take home salary of 30K.

Or you could take a stumble on a dodgy pavement, have some coffee spill on you, slip in a leisure centre and get the same money, or more.

I wouldn't be able to look at myself in a mirror if i did that for easy money. some politician said lately that dumping rubbish in the countryside was treason, i think fraudulent claims are more so. these people are all that is wrong with this me fein country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting website listing claims of all varieties

https://www.personalinjuryireland.ie/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Ban insurance.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

make all pay outs only payable if you have receipts for the treatment etc. that would weed out the chancers. they would have to go to the docter and treatments or get nothing

This woman did not hit the jackpot, despite being electrocuted. Dodgy lawyer?

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/3ECA5FBD767625E580258233002E9D3B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can we just start at the very beginning? (it's a very good place to start...)

Does Ireland actually have a culture of compensation claims? You can quote all the individual claims that you find ludicrous but I don't believe there's any evidence for a trend towards a culture of compensation, certainly not compared to countries like the USA.

Yes.

Via injury or motor we defintley have a culture.

All claims should be based on medical costs and loss of earnings(loss of earnings up to the point of being certified to work by an occupational Dr not DR Nick),loss of life enjoyment(finger missing etc).

Simply set out those awards to that criteria and claim culture will be mostly wiped out, Motor one would need additional criteria regarding investigation of the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

How is it that you prove someone is faking an injury?

If it were that simple, every second claim settlement for personal injury would be appealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The insurance lobby is mad powerful here. No doubt they are colluding with the politicians. Once the insurance industry is put back in its box you'll see far less of this.

High claims provides ongoing justification for high premiums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Did I not hear a while back that 2/3rds of claims were dropped once the gards informed claimants whey were investigating their cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

NIMAN wrote: »
    Throw the daft ones outta court (has happened a few times recently) and hit the claimants with costs.

And reduce the awards. £4k for whiplash in UK, €20k here. Why the difference?

Investigate solicitors for taking fraudulent claims to court. We need more of them telling people who come into their office to catch themselves on, no way I'm taking that in front of a judge

The UK have the NHS to treat injuries, here the medical costs have to be be paid by the claimant. One reason there is a difference h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Something does need to bring done. The current situation amounts to a tax on honesty.

The indirect cost to everything because of unnecessarily large insurance bills must be staggering. Who would run a small business these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

make all pay outs only payable if you have receipts for the treatment etc. that would weed out the chancers. they would have to go to the docter and treatments or get nothing

I'd agree. The awards for Claims should be for free medical treatment. There should only be cash if the injuries are life altering and require modifications of homes or something like that.

The Irish awards seem to operate on the basis that the best cure for whiplash is a big wad of cash - which is quite frankly fcuking ridiculous and is just encouraging cranks to make bogus claims.

I would make a guess that if whiplash awards were a course of physio appointments, the claims would reduce by around 95% overnight.

Of course this wouldn't suit our legal profession at all - so we all get screwed by this merry-go-round instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Claim culture and a negative event “must be someone’s fault”, “make them pay”, “I’m entitled to this” is pretty much a worldwide condition now.

It just pays better here.

I don’t think we can change culture and conditioning, but those making decisions on awards are a reasonable small group. It could be influenced by educating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Hmm, oh? Oh, don't mind me. I'm just waiting for the day the Irish tax cows realise that Johnny Soreneck only makes up a portion of the reason you are all paying so much for insurance.

Oh, look, we're due another bond market wallop. I hope nobody's been gambling.... :)

You could kill off Johnny Soreneck completely - and you should - but you'll still be paying through the nose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement