Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?Misusing Ambulances

Options
  • 13-02-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Heard a story about an American student who called an Ambulance as she tripped and sprained her ankle, despite being well able to go to hospital in a Taxi.

Should there be penalties for people who do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Gael23 wrote: »
    Heard a story about an American student who called an Ambulance as she tripped and sprained her ankle, despite being well able to go to hospital in a Taxi.

At least she had a genuine injury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Stupid people, often stupid people with a sense of entitlement.

The nonsense that goes on is frightening.
    If you charge them they won't pay because they don't pay for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

'Heard a story'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The plural is ambulii.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Yes, she should be made to wait for hours before being treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

?Misusing question marks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did it happen in America or here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

This is the absolute truth.
    I was in temple street one time with the young buck.
    The fella registering in front of me was giving out murder. He had his daughter and wife with him. His wife was Asian and didn’t have great English so he was doing the talking.

His daughter had a cold the last four days and a cough that wouldn’t go away. ( I didn’t hear her cough once) He said he wasn’t wasting his time waiting on the d -doc again because she was useless and when she came out yesterday did nothing after him waiting hours for her.

They just said he had to go and wait at triage and they were sure he knew the way. He agreed that he knew the way like it was a badge of honour.

He sat in triage moaning about every doctor and nurse going by telling his wife that they didn’t have a clue.

This is the reality of waiting lists in a and e

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Gael23 wrote:

Was the witness to this ankle injury able to tell just by looking that it was a sprain?
    If you start fining people then genuine cases will be fearful of using the service in a potential life or death situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A taxi may not take her - might claim it happened getting in/out - might be broken, jones fracture or something

Just fire technology at it, only takes a few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭QuadaLumpins

An ambulance means no waiting ... you'll usually go straight to triage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It happened here.
    It was a genuine injury but did it require a paramedic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This is the absolute truth.
    I was in temple street one time with the young buck.
    The fella registering in front of me was giving out murder. He had his daughter and wife with him. His wife was Asian and didn’t have great English so he was doing the talking.

His daughter had a cold the last four days and a cough that wouldn’t go away. ( I didn’t hear her cough once) He said he wasn’t wasting his time waiting on the d -doc again because she was useless and when she came out yesterday did nothing after him waiting hours for her.

They just said he had to go and wait at triage and they were sure he knew the way. He agreed that he knew the way like it was a badge of honour.

He sat in triage moaning about every doctor and nurse going by telling his wife that they didn’t have a clue.

This is the reality of waiting lists in a and e

And why would you bring a buck to hospital ?
    Is a vet not more appropriate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It happened here.
    It was a genuine injury but did it require a paramedic?

Were there any complicating issues? Taking drugs like Warfarin that could become an issue with a broken bone or anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

An ambulance means no waiting ... you'll usually go straight to triage.

Everyone goes to triage, these are just stupid selfish people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Love me a trip in a Big White Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

An American probably found it novel to be transported by ambulance without facing the prospect of financial ruin afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I called an ambulance once and they brought me to a + e but it was too busy and they told me to come back in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

RustyNut wrote: »
    Were there any complicating issues? Taking drugs like Warfarin that could become an issue with a broken bone or anything else?

A young American student on a study abroad year.
    My suspicion that may be wrong is rust she wanted drama and to arrive in style in a&e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Seems unlikely considering they get charged an absolute fortune over there for using one

• Advertisement
Advertisement