Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25-40 year olds - what's your highest level of education?

Options
  • 13-02-2019 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Fifteen years ago it seemed to me that the furthest that most people went in education was the 3-4 year bachelors degree. Nowadays, it seems that most people have their Masters at least. I'm just curious to see how many people around here (who would have been in and around the higher education age the past fifteen years) have got their Masters or above.

(Poll is anonymous and I will also be voting in it anonymously.)

I'm aged 25-40 and my highest level of education so far is.... 62 votes

Primary school
    61% 38 votes
    Junior Cert
    1% 1 vote
    Leaving Cert
    0% 0 votes
    3-4 year Bachelors Degree
    8% 5 votes
    Higher Diploma
    16% 10 votes
    Master's
    1% 1 vote
    Postgrad diploma
    4% 3 votes
    Doctorate
    1% 1 vote
    Higher doctorate
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Professional body exams equivalent to a masters level.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Pour 500 meters concrete in the day. I don’t cycle to work, I don’t eat that vegan carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

6th class, boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

skool of hard knoks collage of lyf lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

40 years of common sense but sometimes it's not that common.

• Advertisement

I'm 30. Got as far as the Junior Cert.

I was never a 'bad' student (in that I didn't cause any hassle or difficulty at school) but I hated school and the rote learning aspect of things. Always bugged me that I was spending time learning about things I'd never care about or reference again in my life (Shakespeare, algebra, general history etc. didn't appeal to me at school, and are rarely ever an aspect of my current life).

I'm a sole trader now (photographer) and make approx 50k per year gross (though I'm self employed, so could be signing on the dole in the morning, of course). If I can drag this job out for the next 30 years I'll be the happiest man in Ireland.

I'm not a particularly 'stupid' or 'dopey' person, but I hated classroom learning. Always said I'd love to be a Garda, but could never bring myself to learn algebra and trigonometry for a role that would never utilise it (I can drive, swim, have volunteered with River Rescue and Ambulance/First Aid groups, etc. that I feel are better prerequisites for being a Garda, but alas, it's the Leaving Cert I'd need, which frustrates me).

.. This was a rambling post. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'm 30. Got as far as the Junior Cert.

I was never a 'bad' student (in that I didn't cause any hassle or difficulty at school) but I hated school and rote learning so much.

I'm a sole trader now (photographer) and make approx 50k per year gross (though I'm self employed, so could be signing on the dole in the morning, of course). If I can drag this job out for the next 30 years I'll be the happiest man in Ireland.

I'm not a particularly 'stupid' or 'dopey' person, but I hated classroom learning so much. Always said I'd love to be a Garda, but could never bring myself to learn algebra and trigonometry for a role that would never utilise it (I can drive, swim, have volunteered with River Rescue and Ambulance/First Aid groups, etc. that I feel are better prerequisites for being a Garda, but alas, it's the Leaving Cert I'd need, which frustrates me).

.. This was a rambling post. :)
    Well you've done brilliantly - it's not easy without a leaving cert, so massive fair play to you. And you write a lot better than some people who have a higher education.

Formal education isn't for everyone, including highly intelligent people - and formal education doesn't always bring guarantees with it either. Continuous self education and hard work are vital too.

I'd love to be a photographer btw - making it as a full-time professional is brilliant. I know excellent photographers who still need a day job.

Advertisement