Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Ridiculous Compensation Culture MEGATHREAD

Options
  • 30-03-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭

With all the stupid claims being flagged up in newspapers, maybe akin to the Facebook statuses or Funny Houses to Rent/Buy, a megathread could collate all the shenanigans.

We've already seen the hairdresser hitting her knee on a table leg (who knew they had such things).

My contribution is the below:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teenager-cycling-wrong-way-on-a-roundabout-loses-60000-claim-35577872.html
    A teenager who was injured while cycling "the wrong way" on a roundabout cycle path has lost a €60,000 damages claim against a motorist.

He told the court that he had not been used to cycling, had not been wearing a helmet and had been travelling on a cycle path the wrong way around the roundabout.

Mr Mooney was stopped in his Jeep when Mr McCarthy rode into the side of his vehicle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm lodging a claim against you for the time I have wasted reading about this claim when I had already read it on the other thread about it last night. And my time does not come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Counter suing for stress

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Birneybau wrote: »
    With all the stupid claims being flagged up in newspapers, maybe akin to the Facebook statuses or Funny Houses to Rent/Buy, a megathread could collate all the shenanigans.

We've already seen the hairdresser hitting her knee on a table leg (who knew they had such things).

My contribution is the below:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teenager-cycling-wrong-way-on-a-roundabout-loses-60000-claim-35577872.html

If he lost the claim, doesn't that negate your point about "Ireland's Ridiculous Compensation Culture"? In fact, it serves as proof that Ireland doesn't have a ridiculous compensation culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If he lost the claim, doesn't that negate your point about "Ireland's Ridiculous Compensation Culture"? In fact, it serves as proof that Ireland doesn't have a ridiculous compensation culture.

The fact that he took the case was my implication, and that it was taken on but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There is no legal requirement to wear a helmet while cycling, but anyway it was a ridiculous claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The fact that someone thought that they were the victim after cycling into a stopped car whilst going the wrong way around a roundabout is an indication that claims culture is gone crazy. Like, what kind of a muppet of a solicitor took on that case? Half of me hopes it was a no win no fee so they don't get paid, the other half of me hopes that the claimant should have to pay for wasting everyone's time.

I wonder will the jeep driver now claim for the damage that must have been done to their vehicle? Please god they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The fact that he took the case was my implication, and that it was taken on but whatever.

To make that a measure you'd need to know how many people have accidents, trips, slips, falls etc. and don't take a claim.

I for one know two people who broke bones in the past month as a result of uneven footpaths. Neither is contemplating a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the fact that it was taken on would be my concern - I had a naive hope that most folk getting into the legal profession did so for the right reasons - Ethics, fairness and upholding the law and justice - Oh dear , I was a little naive (just cause I never got the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm sueing everyone who comments after this post. You are causing me stress and mental anguish, I cannot sleep at night with this thread, I'm off my food, and the dog is giving me funny looks. You have been warned.

I'm looking for E90,000 compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm sueing everyone who comments after this post. You are causing me stress and mental anguish, I cannot sleep at night with this thread, I'm off my food, and the dog is giving me funny looks. You have been warned.

I'm looking for E90,000 compensation.

I've got 24 cent and a sneezed on tissue??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jayop wrote: »
    I've got 24 cent and a sneezed on tissue??

I'll take it!!!

Hehehe

Jokes on you, when I get a cold I'll sue you because of that tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a case here when a young man from Bray got €77k in court after cutting his hand from broken glass while sorting out receipts.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hotel-worker-awarded-77k-after-cutting-his-hand-while-clearing-receipts-35580446.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

There is a case here when a young man from Bray got €77k in court after cutting his hand from broken glass while sorting out receipts.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hotel-worker-awarded-77k-after-cutting-his-hand-while-clearing-receipts-35580446.html

The company is in liquidation so he shouldn't get the full whack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I do agree with you on that point.

Any company that is in a position which would find itself to not pay it's way for some time would find it next to impossible on attempting to pay their bills. The business owners from the case above could have had to struggle with paying debt and bills arising from legal fees, fees from creditors & debtors, expensive insurance premiums, tax returns to the government like VAT, PAYE or PRSI, redundancy payments for employees...the list for these types of bills goes on and on and on until there is no literally money left to pay for anything else.

I do not condone this amount to money going to your man because it feels that it is a lot of selfishness involved from something that could be so minimal to have a lasting negative impact. I know that I am going for some criticism here but I did something stupid myself when I was at home a few years ago. I was peeling potatoes very quickly into a saucepan for my dinner in my mam's kitchen. Some time later when I tried to finish peeling them; I had lacerated the top end of my finger above the nail on my left hand with a vegetable peeler. It was a painful cut at the time as their was a quite a bit of blood coming from the injury. But it was a small accident; you wouldn't notice the injury if you saw it.

The most important point was given to me by an A&E doctor in a hospital after my own stupid accident.

I was told by him that the injury to my finger would heal between 4 and 6 days & that would be it.

And then, when I read above about the case from your man in Bray this evening, I had struggled to see a connection about why he should be awarded €77k from the state to get a company sued by way of an insurance claim for this accident. The way he got his injury is probably very minimal in the circumstances that he had endured in the first place.

I'm also not so far sold that the injury could have had a long lasting effect to give him compensation as it would be a short & sharp injury in a case like this.

I know that it is unfortunate that he had missed his exams over the incident. But from the outset; he could have arranged someone to take a exam with him which could have been taped or video recorded so he wouldn't have to worry about the outcome of them irregardless of not writing with either of his two hands.

If the 3rd level college were accommodating in allowing that for him in an emergency circumstance; everything during his exams could have went fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jayop wrote: »
    I wonder will the jeep driver now claim for the damage that must have been done to their vehicle? Please god they do.
    Should sue the manufacturer.

A real jeep wouldn't have damaged by a snowflake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its the company's insurer (assuming they had insurance at the time of the incident) that will pay out. The fact that the company are now in liquidation means nothing.

The injury suffered by this guy seems quite bad, if tendons or nerves are irreparably damaged then that will effect him for the rest of his life so the award would be consistent with other life altering injuries. While €77k sounds a lot it, if the injury means his quality of life has been worsened or that he won't be able to partake in certain activities or careers then its probably a pretty fair award.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Another trap...**** me :rolleyes:

I kerbed a wheel the other day...can i sue the council for not painting the kerb? I'm traumatised like.

I do agree with you on that point.

Any company that is in a position which would find itself to not pay it's way for some time would find it next to impossible on attempting to pay their bills. The business owners from the case above could have had to struggle with paying debt and bills arising from legal fees, fees from creditors & debtors, expensive insurance premiums, tax returns to the government like VAT, PAYE or PRSI, redundancy payments for employees...the list for these types of bills goes on and on and on until there is no literally money left to pay for anything else.

I do not condone this amount to money going to your man because it feels that it is a lot of selfishness involved from something that could be so minimal to have a lasting negative impact. I know that I am going for some criticism here but I did something stupid myself when I was at home a few years ago. I was peeling potatoes very quickly into a saucepan for my dinner in my mam's kitchen. Some time later when I tried to finish peeling them; I had lacerated the top end of my finger above the nail on my left hand with a vegetable peeler. It was a painful cut at the time as their was a quite a bit of blood coming from the injury. But it was a small accident; you wouldn't notice the injury if you saw it.

The most important point was given to me by an A&E doctor in a hospital after my own stupid accident.

I was told by him that the injury to my finger would heal between 4 and 6 days & that would be it.

And then, when I read above about the case from your man in Bray this evening, I had struggled to see a connection about why he should be awarded €77k from the state to get a company sued by way of an insurance claim for this accident. The way he got his injury is probably very minimal in the circumstances that he had endured in the first place.

I'm also not so far sold that the injury could have had a long lasting effect to give him compensation as it would be a short & sharp injury in a case like this.

I know that it is unfortunate that he had missed his exams over the incident. But from the outset; he could have arranged someone to take a exam with him which could have been taped or video recorded so he wouldn't have to worry about the outcome of them irregardless of not writing with either of his two hands.

If the 3rd level college were accommodating in allowing that for him in an emergency circumstance; everything during his exams could have went fine.

Oh no I definitely agree with you. My point about the company being in liquidation was that the article said he'd be classed as a creditor, so hopefully wouldn't be able to get the full whack.

It a ridiculous amount for a cut to the finger.

Case in point I worked in a bar in a hotel during college. One night taking out the bins I swung the bag into the dumpster and some broken glass sticking out of the bag caught me just above the hip and cut me. I've a 2 inch scar there now. Did I even consider any sort of compensation for this? Did I fuck!! Bit of a nick and I threw a bandage on it from the first aid box, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Oh no I definitely agree with you. My point about the company being in liquidation was that the article said he'd be classed as a creditor, so hopefully wouldn't be able to get the full whack.

It a ridiculous amount for a cut to the finger.

Case in point I worked in a bar in a hotel during college. One night taking out the bins I swung the bag into the dumpster and some broken glass sticking out of the bag caught me just above the hip and cut me. I've a 2 inch scar there now. Did I even consider any sort of compensation for this? Did I fuck!! Bit of a nick and I threw a bandage on it from the first aid box, job done!

I was mining for gold a few years back in the Rockies. Just when I was swinging my pickaxe in a downward trajectory, a passing anaconda caught my eye. I took my leg clean off at the hip. Did I consider any compensation for this? Did I fúck. Quick as a flash I buried the tip of the pickaxe into the anaconda's skull, flayed it in its death throes and used the skin to bandage my hip. Finished my shift and we roasted my leg over a bonfire with a nice chianti and some fava beans. Job done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The fact that this happens often enough to warrant a megathread honestly says it all :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

I was mining for gold a few years back in the Rockies. Just when I was swinging my pickaxe in a downward trajectory, a passing anaconda caught my eye. I took my leg clean off at the hip. Did I consider any compensation for this? Did I fúck. Quick as a flash I buried the tip of the pickaxe into the anaconda's skull, flayed it in its death throes and used the skin to bandage my hip. Finished my shift and we roasted my leg over a bonfire with a nice chianti and some fava beans. Job done!

Did you Claim tho?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MEGATHREAD?

Must be a lot of deleted posts..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The compensation our wonderful politicians get when they lose their jobs is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Steve wrote: »
    MEGATHREAD?

Must be a lot of deleted posts..

They were dealt with out of court.

Confidentiality clause forbids any discussion of their existence.
    Please Lobotomise yourself after reading.

Well done, even with one leg you're ten times the man I am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

For every absolutely idiotic case though, there is a least one that gets held up as a case of compensation culture gone mad that really isn't - Stella Liebeck (the McDonalds coffee-in-lap case) and, tbh, the hotel worker up there don't deserve to be held up as time-wasters.

You expect to find broken glass in a binbag - you shouldn't, but it's one of those things that happens. The vegetable peeler wasn't relatable. You do not expect to find broken glass in a -receipt till-. Doctors and the court are satisfied that he has suffered permanent nerve damage in his dominant hand and weakened grip. He'll need physio, and needed hospital care. That isn't just "oh, he got a scratch", that's a serious injury and just because it's to a peripheral doesn't make it trivial (especially if you write, draw, create, play music, play sports or use a computer regularly). It's arguable as to whether the amount was reasonable, but you'd need to see hospital fees, physio fees, loss of work, derailment of exams and what that costs for retaking, in time and organisation as well as financial fees. So without knowing those numbers, shrug. It was a nasty (albeit not life-threatening) injury that seems to have satisfied the court as to being down to some sort of negligence. That's what the system is for.

The kid going around the roundabout the wrong way and hitting the jeep was an idiot and rightfully lost the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

This takes the biscuit :mad:
    Woman awarded €20k for banging knee on table leg in restaurant

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/woman-awarded-20k-for-banging-knee-on-table-leg-in-restaurant-446565.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mikeym wrote: »

The facebook comments are priceless for this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement