Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tip for buying Ryanair Flights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Lads,

Just booking flights now, and looking at entropay. seems to be a visa debit card though not a visa electron (i.e. will still incur card charges).

Anything im missing here?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Mr.David wrote: »
    Lads,

Just booking flights now, and looking at entropay. seems to be a visa debit card though not a visa electron (i.e. will still incur card charges).

Anything im missing here?!

It will be accepted as a Visa Electron on Ryanair as long as you signed up with your account type as GBP. If you picked EUR it will be seen as a regular Visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Dunno if it the same in the republic, but the halifax easycash account in the north comes with a visa electron. No Minimum funding either, 20 quid lodgement opens one. The loading charges for those pre pay things adds up quite a lot if u are making any regular use of it. I use halifax for all buying stuff off net, inc ryanair flights with no charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mocata wrote: »
    Dunno if it the same in the republic, but the halifax easycash account in the north comes with a visa electron. No Minimum funding either, 20 quid lodgement opens one. The loading charges for those pre pay things adds up quite a lot if u are making any regular use of it. I use halifax for all buying stuff off net, inc ryanair flights with no charges.

No banks in ROI issue Visa Electron cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I got the Visa Electron virtual card off their own website and it definatley works regarding the no charge on the Ryanair bookings.
    As someone here said just make sure you have your account in £'s.
    It's a great saving if you are doing a number of bookings together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hey was just wondering off the top of my head if anyone can remember when Ryanair usually has their tax free sales, as am thinking of going to Prague with the girlfriend sometime in June, so was looking up flights, the actually flights there and back work out at E11.96 altogether for both of us, however when you factor in all the taxs (on both sets of flights) it ends up coming to E142.32......which is over E130 in tax, which I really would rather not pay.Can anyone remember off the top of their heads when the sales are usually on?Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

got my voucher and rode ryanair.

thanks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

am thinking of going to Prague with the girlfriend sometime in June

The tax-free sales are mostly to fill flights in the winter when nobody really wants to go. Don't count on a sale coming around for such a popular destination as Prague in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I just booked a return flight to Germany in May with the current €5 offer, would have cost €130 plus €30 credit card charge. Although it still "wasted" €20 I successfully tried to pay with three vouchers for €50 each, so the final price was €150 instead of €160. So I added priority boarding for €12 to bring the price a bit closer to €150 :)
    I am the lead passenger and bought the vouchers in my name, two other persons on the flight and no problem at all. Saved me €10 an I got "free" priority boarding for I would have had to pay €150 anyway. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Quaderno wrote: »
    I just booked a return flight to Germany in May with the current €5 offer, would have cost €130 plus €30 credit card charge. Although it still "wasted" €20 I successfully tried to pay with three vouchers for €50 each, so the final price was €150 instead of €160. So I added priority boarding for €12 to bring the price a bit closer to €150 :)
    I am the lead passenger and bought the vouchers in my name, two other persons on the flight and no problem at all. Saved me €10 an I got "free" priority boarding for I would have had to pay €150 anyway. Thanks!

hardly seems worth it tbh. the one time I tried priority boarding there was as many people in that queue as the regular one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

On another thread, think it was this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055044499&page=7 someone reckoned they used their Halifax Visa Debit card and it worked on the Ryanair website? Anybody else had any joy?

I'll be getting me one if it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

sweetie wrote: »
    hardly seems worth it tbh. the one time I tried priority boarding there was as many people in that queue as the regular one

You are absolutely right, priority boarding is of course not worth any amount of money and I would never have bought it. But in this case the cost of the flight including taxes and baggage was €130 and when using vouchers I would have had to pay a minimum of €150 (3*50). So I would have lost €20 anyway. By adding priority boarding I brought the price to €142 but still paid €150. So it was actually already included in the price, whether selected or not. Taking out insurance would have been better, but would have also brought the price above €150 and the next possible amount is €175 (3*50, 1*25).
    BTW: If ever, priority boarding is the better the longer the priority queue is. Otherwise you would be the last person to board. Only if nobody else orders it you can have an advantage by also not booking it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 thesmiler

I have a question about the current 5 Euro sale.
    In the past when Ryanair had sales, these included all taxes but the credit card charges (and premium boarding/insurance/baggage/etc.).

This still seems to be true according to their new note: "Fares don't incl optional Fees/Charges"

However on all flights out of Ireland with the special prices, I see at least 10 Euro taxes (2 Euro domestic) charged now. This is the amount of the recently introduced flight levy by the Irish government. However it's not a optional Fee/charge (like the credit card charge,because Electron is still free), so shouldn't it be included in the advertised price anyway? Isn't this against some EU regulation now?

actually I just found some prices with no taxes (called "NO TAXES" not "SPECIAL OFFER") --- but they only seem to exist on the way out for March --- not any later.

thesmiler wrote: »
    However on all flights out of Ireland with the special prices, I see at least 10 Euro taxes (2 Euro domestic) charged now. This is the amount of the recently introduced flight levy by the Irish government. However it's not a optional Fee/charge (like the credit card charge,because Electron is still free), so shouldn't it be included in the advertised price anyway? Isn't this against some EU regulation now?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

• Advertisement

Basically you cannot find any flight without the Air Travel Tax (this is the official term) from 31 March 2009, the day it is introduced. This for me makes the phrase " 1 Million Seats, Euro 5 One Way, Travel Mar-Apr-May" on www.ryanair.com kind of false advertising, would you agree?

false advertising, would you agree?
    Yes, I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

actually I just found some prices with no taxes (called "NO TAXES" not "SPECIAL OFFER") --- but they only seem to exist on the way out for March --- not any later.

I booked flights from Stansted to Rome like this, £30 return for the three of us, flights in mid March

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

madmoe wrote: »
    On another thread, think it was this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055044499&page=7 someone reckoned they used their Halifax Visa Debit card and it worked on the Ryanair website? Anybody else had any joy?

It works for booking ok and, back when Ryanair used to pretend that there was any rationale for their credit card charges beyond profiteering, there used to be no charge for it but I think there is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Just a query regarding EntroPay;

When you apply online do you get a CC number straight away that you can use online or do you have to wait for the card to be sent out to you in the post?

Also, when using it to book flights with Ryanair, which card is it: Do you select the Visa Electron option?

Oh and is there a Government Stamp Duty charge every year payable on these cards also?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Just a query regarding EntroPay;

When you apply online do you get a CC number straight away that you can use online or do you have to wait for the card to be sent out to you in the post?

Also, when using it to book flights with Ryanair, which card is it: Do you select the Visa Electron option?

Oh and is there a Government Stamp Duty charge every year payable on these cards also?

Thanks!

Yeah you immediately get an entropay cc number. It is a virtual card although i think you can order a plastic if you like at an extra cost.

When booking with ryanair click Visa Electron and no there isn't any stamp duty on the account - it's similar to paypal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Yeah you immediately get an entropay cc number. It is a virtual card although i think you can order a plastic if you like at an extra cost.

In most cases you can start using straight after registration but in some cases they will ask you e-mail documentation to prove name and address

Gazza22 wrote: »
    When booking with ryanair click Visa Electron and no there isn't any stamp duty on the account - it's similar to paypal!

Recently they added a the option to order a plastic CC but I think it's Mastercard, so you will still have to pay for Ryanair CC fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Cool thanks guys!

Just got one there and saved E30 on some flights for next week! :pac:

Don't suppose you know if there's a Government duty charge applicable on these do ya?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Cool thanks guys!

Just got one there and saved E30 on some flights for next week! :pac:

Don't suppose you know if there's a Government duty charge applicable on these do ya?

Cheers!

Used it several times now, so far I saved over €150.

From what I can see is not register as an Irish card so not gov. charge, also been virtual card not sure if you would pay any. Do you have to pay it for 3V cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SteoTheGreat

Thanks for the tip,

Also 3V card rates:

3V Voucher Purchase

Value of Voucher:
    €20 - No Fee
    €30 to €100 - €2.50
    €110 to €350 - €5.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Paid with entropay last night after spending a couple of hours trying to sort it out.... I created first an account in Euro and it was subject to charge when tried to pay the flight tickets....created another entropay account in GBP and paid ryanair with no hassle. There is a 4.95% (of the amount being transferred onto the entropay card) charge for using entropay...total of 130.73 euro came to 117.68 sterling (not including the 4.95%)...

So, when using the entropay, be aware of the 4.95% charge and that you have to create your account in sterling...

Cheers,
    Magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There's more than just the 4.95%

Worth reading this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

There's more than just the 4.95%

Worth reading this

You're absolutely right....
    I wouldn't use entropay for booking return flights for just one person...
    I still think that it's worth using for flights that are not too expensive and where more than one ticket is being bought....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

magicEye wrote: »
    You're absolutely right....
    I wouldn't use entropay for booking return flights for just one person...
    I still think that it's worth using for flights that are not too expensive and where more than one ticket is being bought....

The number of people travelling shouldn't matter, what matters is how much you pay for each flight.

If you're paying over €100 you're saving very little by using Entropay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Correct, gives me a 100% saving on a €4 flight, 0.118% (less than 1%) saving on a €100 flight.

That is all for one passenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

magicEye wrote: »
    Paid with entropay last night after spending a couple of hours trying to sort it out.... I created first an account in Euro and it was subject to charge when tried to pay the flight tickets....created another entropay account in GBP and paid ryanair with no hassle. There is a 4.95% (of the amount being transferred onto the entropay card) charge for using entropay...total of 130.73 euro came to 117.68 sterling (not including the 4.95%)...

So, when using the entropay, be aware of the 4.95% charge and that you have to create your account in sterling...

Cheers,
    Magic

The advantage to entropay is for the cheap flights. It was also emphasised that you must create the account in GBP.

I wish I could use my laser to create an account.

Luckily my last flights came to €74.15 so the voucher trick caused me to only have to pay an 85c charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

As previously mentioned before use a combination of both
    vouchers and entropay to avoid cc charges. eg flight €79.00 use €75vouchers and €4 entropay.
    Also for more expensive flights it might be easier to book two single flights using above combination instead of a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 whoopdefukindo

nava wrote: »
    Another way to avoid Credit card charges is to use the Entropay credit card, is a Visa Electron so no credit card charges at all with Ryanair. You need to top up your account with your own credit card and I think you can also do a bank transfer they do charge small commision for the the top-up.

To avoid the charge on the registration you must select as currency GBP if you use EUR it will be a standard credit card.

They might ask you for a copy or credit card and/or passport.

I use Entropay. Got the original info here
    http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/avoid-the-credit-card-charge-when-booking-with-ryanair/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

Hi All I want To Book 10 Flights At 1 cent EW but don't want to be stung by CC charge. What Can I do. Entropay doesn't work for some reason for me. Does 3V work or even Vouchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

its not working for me either, where is the problem coming in for you?

when i enter the entropay details and click next, the following page says my details are wrong!?! i just registered the entropay account today.

Basicially When I Go Into a Verification Email And paste In The code I can't get it working. It says the code is wrong . I was on to suppose and they can't figure out the problem. Are people using an English address aswell as putting in sterling??

Im using mastercard and still can't get it going:(

Also is there any other website that does the same??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Did you register your account in GBP. Thats a must.

I used it without any problem.

try going to the verification page from the link in your email. i was having same problem but this resolved it.

just checked ryanair there, my outbound flight has went up to ~€100. should have just paid the cc charge, ah well.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ Did you register your account in GBP. Thats a must.

I used it without any problem.

ahh, that may be where the problem is coming in. can i change it to GBP?

• Advertisement

lg123 wrote: »
    try going to the verification page from the link in your email. i was having same problem but this resolved it.

just checked ryanair there, my outbound flight has went up to ~€100. should have just paid the cc charge, ah well.
    Ya I done that and still No Luck:(:( I also had it in GBP. Its annoying cause suppose keep telling me make up new accounts and try again. Now i have 4 new ones but cant get any of them verified:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

lg123 wrote: »
    ahh, that may be where the problem is coming in. can i change it to GBP?

You can always create another account in GBP but I dont think changing is allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

I'm wanting to book flights for myself and my son (infant). The price for a one way flight is totalling exactly €50 so I'm going to buy the Ryanair Vouchers - my question is - when I buy the voucers online, do I get voucher numbers / codes that I canuse right away or do I have to wait for them to e-mail them to me or something?

Sorry if this has been answered already - I did check through the thread but I might be blind.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭throwingmuses

Only wrote: »
    I'm wanting to book flights for myself and my son (infant). The price for a one way flight is totalling exactly €50 so I'm going to buy the Ryanair Vouchers - my question is - when I buy the voucers online, do I get voucher numbers / codes that I canuse right away or do I have to wait for them to e-mail them to me or something?

Sorry if this has been answered already - I did check through the thread but I might be blind.
    Thanks!

I did this last night - flights came to €74! So I bought vouchers online, which it allocated as 1 x 25 and 1 x 50, so on the confirmation page when you've paid it will give you the voucher numbers you can copy and paste straight away to pay for the flight. The ACTUAL vouchers didn't get e-mailed to me until today by which time I had already well used them.

I'm dreading them coming up with a way of blocking this though when they know what people are at.

Brilliant! Thanks a million for the super quick reply!

Ah Lord,
    I just tried to buy the vouchers and it went to a page saying 'session blocked' and if I'm not redirected in 10 seconds to 'click here' but nothing happens when I do so now I don't know whether the purchase has gone through or not :mad:

• Advertisement

Ah Lord,
    I just tried to buy the vouchers and it went to a page saying 'session blocked' and if I'm not redirected in 10 seconds to 'click here' but nothing happens when I do so now I don't know whether the purchase has gone through or not :mad:

I actually had a bit of hassle with the site also and wasn't sure but when it did work for me it had showed '1st attempt declined' and 2nd attempted confirmed. I'd probably wait till tomorrow now if I was you to see if the voucher gets e-mailed to you or not..........annoying I know. But if you're really worried about missing particular flights I'd buy the vouchers if worst comes to worst and it went through twice you can always use them again....

I actually had a bit of hassle with the site also and wasn't sure but when it did work for me it had showed '1st attempt declined' and 2nd attempted confirmed. I'd probably wait till tomorrow now if I was you to see if the voucher gets e-mailed to you or not..........annoying I know. But if you're really worried about missing particular flights I'd buy the vouchers if worst comes to worst and it went through twice you can always use them again....

Don't know what's happening but when I tried to check the flights again it gives e the same error telling me the session is locked. ... I even tried closing it all down and openingit in a new browser but the same thing is happening so I'm not sure if it's me or if the site is just down.
    Am going to give it one last go - close all my open sites and restart my PC and then see ... isn't it just typical!

Don't know what's happening but when I tried to check the flights again it gives e the same error telling me the session is locked. ... I even tried closing it all down and openingit in a new browser but the same thing is happening so I'm not sure if it's me or if the site is just down.
    Am going to give it one last go - close all my open sites and restart my PC and then see ... isn't it just typical!

Seems to be working okay for me, hopefully when you reboot you will have some luck with it!

It's working now ... don't know what I did to cause that to happen - maybe it was because I had three ryanair browsers open at the same time:rolleyes:
    I'm going to chance leaving the booking until morning now - my head's fried and I'm liable to make a very silly mistake if I keep trying now ... fingers crossed the prices won't go up overnight and I'm not kicking myself in the am!

It's working now ... don't know what I did to cause that to happen - maybe it was because I had three ryanair browsers open at the same time:rolleyes:
    I'm going to chance leaving the booking until morning now - my head's fried and I'm liable to make a very silly mistake if I keep trying now ... fingers crossed the prices won't go up overnight and I'm not kicking myself in the am!

I'd say you'll be fine at this stage waiting till tomorrow. Time for us all to log off and get some shuteye lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement