Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

optogirl wrote: »
    yes - one vendor didn't want to go with us because DCC takes too long :(

Hoped that wasn't true :(

It's really not fit for purpose this scheme if that's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GizmoIE

I just realize that Singles is garbage for our government.
    I am not sure what the salary in average for the Singles in Dublin, but I don't think that it will be more than 35k even probably less? I understand that it is great that they giving such support, but where I can spend those 150k (which they offer at 32k) for the new property? i need to have at least a 30% deposit. maybe somewhere in Donegal county :) well for me it is not a problem to move there :) but not for my company office:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Antho12

GizmoIE wrote: »
    I am not sure what the salary in average for the Singles in Dublin, but I don't think that it will be more than 35k even probably less? I understand that it is great that they giving such support, but where I can spend those 150k (which they offer at 32k) for the new property? i need to have at least a 30% deposit. maybe somewhere in Donegal county :) well for me it is not a problem to move there :) but not for my company office:) :)

I’m single under 35K and DCC offered me 5x my income, I did have about 30% deposit and purchased a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre, which is exactly what I wanted after 15 years renting in shared accommodations and I wouldn’t have been able to do this the traditional way with banks. So unless you’re looking for a 3 bed semi detached in Dublin, the scheme can work for singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Antho12 wrote: »
    I’m single under 35K and DCC offered me 5x my income, I did have about 30% deposit and purchased a 1 bedroom apartment in the city centre, which is exactly what I wanted after 15 years renting in shared accommodations and I wouldn’t have been able to do this the traditional way with banks. So unless you’re looking for a 3 bed semi detached in Dublin, the scheme can work for singles.

How long ago, if you don't mind me asking?

How long ago, if you don't mind me asking?

I got AIP in November last year and drawdown in January this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

GizmoIE wrote: »

Try having 5 children and a wife that can’t work because 2 of them have special needs. Not one bank would look at us and at that, the RIHL doesn’t count her carers allowance as an income yet she’ll be getting it for at least the next 15 years. It’s criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Karis

rob316 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone randomly about mortgages and they were telling me one developer wouldn't accept them for a new build as they said RI loan takes too long from AIP to drawdown. Anyone else hear something like that?

Yes, we were refused. The builder said they had two cases with council mortgages and it didn't work, the people didn't get funding in the end. So the builder didn't wanted to pit him self at risk and prefers to go with the bank. Plus Meath Co. Co. gives the formal loan package only after the valuation is done on the house fully build and fitted. And the builder wont let you to sign the contract only with AIP. Other counties are different, you can by of the plans easily.

Blimey. Suppose that's a mark of how quickly things changed, I'm just under 35k a year and was hoping to get a single bed in Tallaght or Finglas when I started RI applications. At this stage I'm probably going to wind up leaving Dublin county and buying with a bank mortgage in the midlands.

Edit - sorry, should have said, congratulations!

I just sent my application into Louth County Council this morning. Chatted to one of the women from the Council on the phone yesterday.

I've had many, many run ins with Louth County Council, and would regard them as being quite possibly the single biggest waste of space and resources known to this island. Their housing section, and general budget management, is farcically bad.

However, this woman who works there in respect of the Rebuilding Ireland loan (I'm sure she does other stuff, too, so I'm not sure what her actual title would be), was such a breath of fresh air. She rang me back almost immediately after missing my call to her, she answered loads of questions, gave lots of info, and on top of that, much to my shock (especially after hearing how badly Meath CoCo are managing the RI scheme) she informed me that they accept RI applications by post, once you've spoke to someone, and they give you an AIP amount in about 6-8 weeks.

(Whereas Meath, on the other hand, a stones throw away, make you apply in-person, and the next available dates, just to actually apply, are in December!).

So if Louth CoCo can get an AIP to me in 6-8 weeks, I'll be very, very impressed.

(You'd want to see my application though.. it was like a long, boring, book going into them. Must have been about 100 pages).

Not true about Meath Co.Co. We applied by post last November, got AIP in 5-6 weeks, right before Xmas. We will be reapplying again soon since 6 month are over now. We've been told to do it by post, or alternatively you can drop it in their office. Try again, you should be able to apply sooner. Email probably even better, you not always can get them on the phone. They still working partially from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GizmoIE

deise121 wrote: »
    Try having 5 children and a wife that can’t work because 2 of them have special needs. Not one bank would look at us and at that, the RIHL doesn’t count her carers allowance as an income yet she’ll be getting it for at least the next 15 years. It’s criminal

i can not imagine how hard it is, but yes in some reason we have @extremes@, looks like only "Classic" Family can afford something with no thinking about some extras and with not meeting any issues. M+F+2childrens.

And how old was the building? as for the last, I think, 10 months, there was nothing for less than 240k for 1bed. in Dublin area. but anyway gratz man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Preparing our second application and honestly the word deflated doesn't even begin to describe it. First time round we were enthusiastic and hopeful, this time we're doing it, in the full knowledge that even if we are awarded the full amount we just wont be able to buy a house. It's a rotten feeling. Husband says he can't even look at myhome.ie anymore - too depressing.

optogirl wrote: »
    Preparing our second application and honestly the word deflated doesn't even begin to describe it. First time round we were enthusiastic and hopeful, this time we're doing it, in the full knowledge that even if we are awarded the full amount we just wont be able to buy a house. It's a rotten feeling. Husband says he can't even look at myhome.ie anymore - too depressing.

That's exactly how we feel, we'll be re-applying next week...but there is less and less hope...

And how old was the building? as for the last, I think, 10 months, there was nothing for less than 240k for 1bed. in Dublin area. but anyway gratz man :)

Asking price was 200, I purchased it for less than 240, it needed some work but nothing major. The building is recent enough, early Celtic tiger.

Blimey. Suppose that's a mark of how quickly things changed, I'm just under 35k a year and was hoping to get a single bed in Tallaght or Finglas when I started RI applications. At this stage I'm probably going to wind up leaving Dublin county and buying with a bank mortgage in the midlands.

Edit - sorry, should have said, congratulations!

Thanks, prices did go up for sure but keep looking you never know. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

deise121 wrote: »

not allowing carers ,ie a long term payment is a fuucking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

akelly02 wrote: »
    not allowing carers ,ie a long term payment is a fuucking joke.

Massive joke. Especially people in circumstances like ours as our children will need care for the rest of their lives so she’ll be getting carers when they’re older

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

Another question about timelines:

I've submitted the engineers report & valuation docs for the house to Galway CoCo and been told that the building inspector has to sign off on the house and then the credit committee will review.

Can anybody give me a rough idea of what kind of time frame to expect? the person in the council was very nice but wouldn't give any timeframes.

Karis wrote: »
    Not true about Meath Co.Co. We applied by post last November, got AIP in 5-6 weeks, right before Xmas. We will be reapplying again soon since 6 month are over now. We've been told to do it by post, or alternatively you can drop it in their office. Try again, you should be able to apply sooner. Email probably even better, you not always can get them on the phone. They still working partially from home.

Well I'm not in Meath myself, and haven't applied to them.

However, I am a member of a 'first time buyer' page on facebook, and between people posting there, and also posts here on boards, a couple of different people have mentioned contacting Meath CoCo and being told they have to attend a meeting with their application, and they were given dates in mid-December.

What you're describing seems to tally up with my experience (well, what I've been told will be my experience) with Louth CoCo.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

I didn't know they would do more than the 4.5 on the calculator. Any other special circumstances besides the 30% deposit? Did you have many years savings records for example? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭helldesign

Does it matter where I send my application and should the Council be near the area where I plan to look for a property?
    For example if I apply to the South Dublin County Council, can I look into properties in the north part of the city or even in a different county?

Thanks.

helldesign wrote: »
    Does it matter where I send my application and should the Council be near the area where I plan to look for a property?
    For example if I apply to the South Dublin County Council, can I look into properties in the north part of the city or even in a different county?

Thanks.

Yes, it does. You should apply to where you're going to buy. You can apply to several counties to widen your area. But the property should be the same county you're applying.

• Advertisement

I didn't know they would do more than the 4.5 on the calculator. Any other special circumstances besides the 30% deposit? Did you have many years savings records for example? Thanks!

I did save for many years but sent them only a year of bank statements. What helped in my opinion is that during the 6 months prior to applying I was on a very strict budget and was spending the exact same amount every month for all my expenses. So by the time I applied, my current account statements showed only 5 debits every month for 6 months: rent (including bills), savings, 2 direct debits and the same lump sum going to revolut for my monthly expenses (groceries, Amazon, etc). It’s a bit drastic but it was during the first lockdown so I was spending a lot less money anyway.

Thanks.

No, it's a bit of a pain in the arse for Dublin in particular - you can only buy in the catchment of the council who approves your loan. That means for Dublin you probably have to apply to the three different councils and SDCC in particular takes 6+ months to approve.

You can only apply to four councils at most iirc too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No, it's a bit of a pain in the arse for Dublin in particular - you can only buy in the catchment of the council who approves your loan. That means for Dublin you probably have to apply to the three different councils and SDCC in particular takes 6+ months to approve.

I don't think there's any limit on the number of councils you can apply to.

Karis wrote: »
    Yes, it does. You should apply to where you're going to buy. You can apply to several counties to widen your area. But the property should be the same county you're applying.

Hmm that's unfortunate. After long wait I received my salary certificate, but got only one copy. I wonder if the councils will accept certified copies?

Hmm that's unfortunate. After long wait I received my salary certificate, but got only one copy. I wonder if the councils will accept certified copies?

County will accept just a regular copy. We submitted to 3 different counties no problems.

Thanks for your help!

I don't think there's any limit on the number of councils you can apply to.

I stand corrected. Not sure where I got that idea, I was full sure of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carrot18

Hi Does anyone know how many days before DCC issue check from solicitors requesting for drawdown till they send in the cheque? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 32 janandbren

Antho, do you mind me asking did you ask for 5 times your salary, or had you asked for max available? We are applying but looking to buy our landlords house, that we are renting 12 years. However we will need about 5.1 times salary, but we have our deposit, about 20% , showing great affordability and no other loans or outgoings.

• Advertisement

janandbren wrote: »
    Antho, do you mind me asking did you ask for 5 times your salary, or had you asked for max available? We are applying but looking to buy our landlords house, that we are renting 12 years. However we will need about 5.1 times salary, but we have our deposit, about 20% , showing great affordability and no other loans or outgoings.

I actually asked for a bit more and they offered 7K less than the figure I entered. Good luck

Advertisement