Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exact same tv prices, price fixing

Options
  • 17-11-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

I've been recording the prices of OLED TV's over the last while in the run up to black Friday. I've tracked the prices of all the mid to top end models from Panasonic, LG, and Sony. The retailers I tracked were did.ie, richer sounds, expert.ie, Harvey Norman, Curry's, Euronics. Without exception all prices were the same. I phone shops to see if there was any movement in prices but nothing. Could this be considered price fixing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

"No need to shop around, at XXXXX We match all our competitors prices"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

OP, you are spot on. I noticed the same for other goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

OP, you are spot on. I noticed the same for other goods.

It's time the consumer regulator or equivalent does something about this. I've been following prices for over a year and it's a real balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I bought the LG CX recently from Richersounds and love it, well worth the 1400 I paid. The reason all the retailers are generally the same price is that OLEDs sell so well that there isn't much incentive to drop the price significantly. Retailers are selling out of them regardless of sales, especially with the next-gen consoles. LG Display has reported the first-quarter profits in years recently because of the massive demand for OLED TVs. Retailers are generally responding to a competitor dropping their price and matching it but because they are so popular regardless of sales, there's no reason for retailers to be low-balling each other. LCD TVs are different as there are hundreds of them on the market, whereas there are only three brands in Europe that currently sell OLED, with LG making all the OLED panels for every brand and thus able to control the supply and pricing of OLED technology, and producing them is very expensive so the prices stay high. It'll always be a premium TV technology that's a 'pay to play' luxury, the same applies in the US and everywhere where OLED TVs never drop that much compared to the way LCD TVs drop during Black Fridays. The LG BX is extremely affordable right now at about 1200 euros so is worth considering. Richersounds have a great 6-year warranty included in the price which makes them the best retailer to buy an OLED from

Advertisement