Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audyssey Setup and Crossovers

Options
  • 17-11-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Very quiet in here these days but we'll give it a go...

Ran Audyssey and it set my crossovers:

Fronts 80Hz
    Centre 60Hz
    Surrounds 30Hz

Speakers are Monitor Audio Apex which Audyssey correctly picks up as small, a previous amp picked them up as large.

Should I manually set the centre and surrounds to 80?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Monitor Audio advised not to go below 60, for the sake of the speakers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I’ve no idea what surrounds you’re using but they can operate down to 30hz ??

As a general rule I’d recommend crossing over to the sub at 80hz.

Ritz

The Ritz wrote: »
    I’ve no idea what surrounds you’re using but they can operate down to 30hz ??

As a general rule I’d recommend crossing over to the sub at 80hz.

Ritz
    Sorry, 30 was a typo, should be 40. Speakers are Monitor Audio Apex A10 fronts/surrounds and A40 centre. Centre goes down to 50Hz, surrounds to 60Hz. Don't understand the amp setting a 60Hz speaker to 40Hz.

They are good speakers so want to try them with as much as they can handle, without going overboard obviously. I read an article by the sub manufacturer SVS that suggested 10Hz above the speaker limit so have centre and surrounds at 60. Was going to try 70 for the surrounds but Audyssey sets increments of 20Hz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If a speakers frequency response says, for instance, 60hz to, say 20khz, it doesen’t mean that it’s response is even across the frequency range, it’s output could be (usually would be) very reduced at the lower end of the frequency range.

By setting the crossover at or near the unit of the speakers Lower frequency output you’re not really gett8ng the best out of your speaker, yiyre creating a “dip” in output before tge sub takes over.

Whether this is audible or noticeable when your actually viewing a movie is a moot point, but underscores the rationale for crossing over at 80hz and letting the crossover between your speaker and sub be as seamless as possible.

I would be inclined to try A manual set-up, setting your distances manually and levels by ear, and setting the crossover at 80hz, and see how you like the result using demo samples that you’re familiar with. You can always do a reset and run Audyssey again if it doesn’t turn out to your liking.

HTH,

Ritz.

That helps, alright. Thanks.

Audyssey set fronts to 80, so leaving it at that.

It set centre to 60, so leaving it at that, with 10Hz to spare. Will then set to 80 and see if there is any noticeable difference.

Changed surrounds from 40 to 80.

Will see how that sounds.

Would you know if there would be any knock-on effect on the Audyssey set-up by using manual set-up for crossovers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement