Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir charging for eircom webmail address

Options
  • 04-02-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi I recently recieved this email from eir saying that they are going to start charging customers €5.99 per month to continue using their eircom.net email address.

Dear eircom.net user,
    At eir we are always looking to improve the service we provide to our customers. To be able to provide an improved eircom.net email service eir will be introducing a charge of €5.99 per month. When you log onto your eircom.net email account from the 31st of March 2020 you will be redirected to a payment page where you can sign up for the new service. The charge will be used to invest in the maintenance and improvement of the service going forward.

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service from the 31st of March 2020 you will need to download all the data you have saved within your eircom.net email account to your personal storage before the 31st of March 2020, as the old service will no longer be available. You will have 60 days to sign up to the new service after the 31st of March 2020 before your email address, account and its contents are permanently removed, this step is not reversible.

As I've been using this email address for over 20 years, every utility bill, bank account etc. Have been contacting me using this email address, I feel I'm being held to ransom now as I either pay the €70 per year or they delete my account the end of march, any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I know its not helpful but they ceased being eircom at least 5 years ago...I would ave started getting used to a bigger email provider and different address then.

For now, Pay the money, receive emails on that address, add an autoresponder that your email will be changing to kerdiff@gmail.com or whatever. Make sure your reply to is set as kerdiff@gmail.com and this will cover new emails. Only send emails from the new account on gmail or whatever.

Then over the next 3/4 months change over any accounts to the new email address as you use them.

Then cancel the eircom address

simples...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Most places online will allow you to change the email associated with the account in question, be it Facebook, Electric Ireland etc

Changing your primary email to an Outlook or Gmail account is going to be the only way to go to not pay €5.99 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some bunch of clowns eir are if they think people will pay for email

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

jimmynokia wrote: »

Well they will if they want to keep the eircom.net address. They don't want to maintain it so this pays for that for good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

jimmynokia wrote: »

They don't. It's why they are doing this. They want rid of the email platform so trying to force people to pay for it will drive everyone off it then they can de-commission it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

How can I save all the emails I've set up in folders in eir webmail? I've had the account for almost 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

Does anyone else feel the email service has got worse since they announced the charge. It has been very slow for past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That'd be people going crazy downloading emails.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

That'd be people going crazy downloading emails.

How do you download emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are instructions on these threads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038988
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058051373

Haven't tried any of them myself though as I don't keep any emails on the server.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Didn't get a notification on either of my accounts, and yes I have checked junk mail!!

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

This is going ahead now, from 1st July
    Eircom wrote:
    Earlier this year we contacted you to inform you of the introduction of a €5.99 monthly subscription for the use of eircom.net webmail. This monthly subscription will commence from the 1st of July 2020 and will be rolled out to customers on a phased basis. This means you can only sign up once access to your account has been restricted, which will happen between 1st of July and the 15th of July 2020.

Once you sign up you will have access to your new webmail account and will be able to send and receive emails, it may take up to 2 hours for your old emails to migrate across to your new account.

Please note if you are using an email client such as outlook you will need to log in through the eir.ie/email page to sign up to the new service.

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service you can download your eircom.net email data to your personal storage before the 1st of July 2020, as you will no longer have access to the old service. You will have 60 days to sign up to the new service after the 1st of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete.

For more information please visit eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions
    This notice is on top of the 30 and 60 days notice provided earlier this year.

Advertisement