Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Dump on Vista

Options
  • 24-08-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have Windows Vista and lately about 50% of the time when I am using the laptop for no apparent reason the screen goes blue and tells me something about a memory dump and then restarts.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know what the reason is or how I can fix it ?

Mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it's the windows blue screen of death

many, many different causes

it should give a cryptic message that might help, you can run eventvwr to see if it says anything in system log

it can also be caused by memory problems / overheating

it can also be caused by malware ( but usually that makes the computer very slow)

if it's only recent then use system restore to undo any recent changes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Mark - Did you ever determine the cause of this ?

Vista was notorious for the BSOD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

s8n wrote: »
    Mark - Did you ever determine the cause of this ?

Vista was notorious for the BSOD

Vista was a turkey , following the every version of windows rule. Video from 10 years ago.

MOD
    Seriously take a hint and stop dragging up old treads and contributing nothing.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows Vista on April 10, 2012, while extended support ended on April 11, 2017 so no excuse.

Advertisement