Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Broadband: what plan to choose? (Swords)

Options
  • 17-01-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all, atm I have Eir home broadband.
    Real speeds are 12mbps in download and 1mbps in upload.

I was hoping to find something that woudl be definitely faster than that.
    I live in Swords and unfortunately it's one of the very few places not served by fiber broadband.

I was wondering if anybody has experience with 4G+ speeds in this area.
    From what I gathered my options are:

1-Eir has unlimited plan which is actually capped at 750GB. I'm not sure if that would be enough. Max speeds seems good, but I'd like to know if anyone here living in Swords area have actual experience with it. Also they seems to have downgraded the router offered from the b818 to the b628. Would the speed compromised by having one or the other?

2-Vodafone: they seems to offer a plan capped to 40gb. Definitely too low.

3-Three : they seems to offer a 4g unlimited plan in my area but it doesn't say much about the speeds I'd get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

spupazza wrote: »
    I live in Swords and unfortunately it's one of the very few places not served by fiber broadband.

Do you mean Swords in general or your area of Swords? FTTH is definitely available in parts of Swords but probably nor all over. Make sure you are checking for Siro FTTH and not Eir's as not sure they are here yet.

Also most of Swords is covered by Virgin which would be a better option than 4G if available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

dam099 wrote: »
    Do you mean Swords in general or your area of Swords? FTTH is definitely available in parts of Swords but probably nor all over. Make sure you are checking for Siro FTTH and not Eir's as not sure they are here yet.

Also most of Swords is covered by Virgin which would be a better option than 4G if available to you.

Apologies, I meant that I live in one of the very few spots in Swords not served by fiberbroadband. All the houses and buildings around my block of apartments have fiber except mine.

I checked with Siro but it's the same as with the others.
    It's been years I've been looking at this map:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/
    But my site keeps being flagged as 'planned'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Apologies, I meant that I live in one of the very few spots in Swords not served by fiberbroadband. All the houses and buildings around my block of apartments have fiber except mine.

I checked with Siro but it's the same as with the others.
    It's been years I've been looking at this map:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/
    But my site keeps being flagged as 'planned'

Apartment blocks can be troublesome, the Management Company needs to agree for the works to be done aswell as a provider being will to do it, which some Management Cos resist (somewhat inexplicably).

Is Virgin not an option then?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Hi all, atm I have Eir home broadband.
    Real speeds are 12mbps in download and 1mbps in upload.

I was wondering if anybody has experience with 4G+ speeds in this area.
    From what I gathered my options are:

1-Eir has unlimited plan which is actually capped at 750GB. I'm not sure if that would be enough. Max speeds seems good, but I'd like to know if anyone here living in Swords area have actual experience with it. Also they seems to have downgraded the router offered from the b818 to the b628. Would the speed compromised by having one or the other?

2-Vodafone: they seems to offer a plan capped to 40gb. Definitely too low.

3-Three : they seems to offer a 4g unlimited plan in my area but it doesn't say much about the speeds I'd get

Vodafone's plan is 300GB, not 40. Also afaik after 750GB on eir, speeds are reduced to 5Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

jdon72 wrote: »
    Vodafone's plan is 300GB, not 40. Also afaik after 750GB on eir, speeds are reduced to 5Mb/s

On Eir what speed could I expect in both download and upload on avergare?

PS: unfortunately Virgin is not an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

On Eir what speed could I expect in both download and upload on avergare?

PS: unfortunately Virgin is not an option

This might give an indication of signal in your area: https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

Advertisement