Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 1900s Small Area Population Statistics (SAPS) or census volumes

Options
  • 19-04-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi there,

im currently doing a portfolio on socio-economic change of rural settlements in the west of ireland since the 1840s.
    i have looked at the CSOs main website for said information but i am directed to another site for census information prior to 1996, this however only allows me to search via forname and surname.
    The informtion i am looking for is job occupation, household ownership and ethnicity.
    Would anyone know where i could find this information without searching each individual at that time?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Nebit wrote: »
    Hi there,

im currently doing a portfolio on socio-economic change of rural settlements in the west of ireland since the 1840s.
    i have looked at the CSOs main website for said information but i am directed to another site for census information prior to 1996, this however only allows me to search via forname and surname.
    The informtion i am looking for is job occupation, household ownership and ethnicity.
    Would anyone know where i could find this information without searching each individual at that time?

Any help is appreciated.

Here ya go:

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

The only electronic data is for the 1911 census, but you might get some luck by emailing them and calling down there to view hard records. I'm not sure if such data has been collated in the form that you are looking for, but various country censuses began to add in such statistics by the late 19th century. I reckon the History forum might be a better place to ask. Let me know if you want the thread moved to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The 1911 census is a great resource. Houses in rural parts are numbered for census purposes, is there a GIS map of these available?

Advertisement