Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Still Ill wrote: »
    Thought this was very good. The two of them are very talented. Fair play to them. WARNING: Contains James Corden.

Thanks for the James Corden warning. Can’t stand him.

As for talent the brother is the musician.

Billie is an amazing singer but nothing without the brother.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

She has an Irish head on her alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So we can call her Eilish O'Connell.

Tubbers can ask the usual cringy questions about Irish ancestors and visiting the oul sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I honestly rate that as one of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it. Not into modern music at all, but she stands out as something of a genius.

*Cue the entrance of music snobs.

Doesn't she just sing the music her brother creates?

Kind of like Rihanna, Katy Perry and all the other pop stars who sing sons given to them.

I agree though if the brother is the creative force very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Her brother does most of the back work, he does the gritty melodies. So there's a pair of them in it. It's good music.

Her brothers songs are really good as well.I like him more than her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd only heard the name until a few weeks ago, and I tried some of her music. I was actually quite impressed. Her brother is a good producer, they have weird tastes in sounds, and I like that she clearly doesn't take herself too seriously. In interviews she's always laughing and generally enjoying life, it seems, and isn't trying to "sell" herself like e.g. Ariana Grande.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

She's a bit overhyped sure, but she's still quite good. Definitely more interesting than a lot of other music currently in the charts. Plus she's still so young so will be interesting to see how she develops going forward. "Bury a Friend" is a great tune, very well composed and produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Someone at work really likes her, but I don't think they know the brother is the brains behind the vast majority of it, and she only "sings" (going very specifically by the Bad Guy song).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Finneas lost a friend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMVcCMO_Ng

Billie Buried a friend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Wonder if its the same friend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's an interview where they go in to detail about how Bad Guy happened e.g. she did the basic track herself before showing it to Finneas. "Billie had basically just gotten Logic, was just figuring it out for the first time, and made this thing."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't listened to a great deal of her stuff, but she seems like far from the worst. I know her brother is very involved and it seems like a collaborative project really.

Though, while all of the major entertainment awards are more of a celebration of success than actual quality, the Grammys are perhaps the worst of the lot for this. I wouldn't use them in any way to judge the quality of an act.

Sell a lot of albums = win a Grammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Her music does very little for me. Not really a fan. Grammys have lost their importance these days in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

She's great, most of the tracks on her album are really good with the exception of two or three. She seems like a decent skin too. If you like her music check out her brother Finneas, his stuff is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Her music does very little for me. Not really a fan. Grammys have lost their importance these days in any case.

The Grammys were never important.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

Apparently her full name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell and she's never heard of Van Halen, Run DMC, or Huey Lewis.

Is it common knowledge that she doesn't know the above mentioned artists or are you quoting her wiki page ?

I doubt they know her either btw.

milehip wrote: »
    Is it common knowledge that she doesn't know the above mentioned artists or are you quoting her wiki page ?

I think it was in an interview with one of the American nighttime hosts that she said she didn't know them. She also said she didn't know what Cabbage Patch Dolls are, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I only know her best known song and I can't stand it. I'd have loved it when I was 12 though.

In the name of god, why on earth are people bandying the word "genius" around?

Note: the above is an opinion, not snobbery. Disliking something is not snobbery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This tweet about the Van Halen thing was gas.

https://twitter.com/Manda_like_wine/status/1201583209319927808

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

was he a cousin of Van Morrison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I only know her best known song and I can't stand it. I'd have loved it when I was 12 though.

In the name of god, why on earth are people bandying the word "genius" around?

Note: the above is an opinion, not snobbery. Disliking something is not snobbery.

When the party’s over is pretty good song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I wasn't a fan at all until I heard Everything I Wanted and to be honest it's the only song I really like by her. I dunno, it's probably more so the production of the track but it really suits her vocals.

I don't like Bad Guy at all. It sounds like a rip off of the Donkey Kong Country theme, maybe its supposed to be inspired or a homage I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Not from back to the future ?

I don't think I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I don't like Bad Guy at all. It sounds like a rip off of the Donkey Kong Country theme, maybe its supposed to be inspired or a homage I don't know.

I actually think it sounds more like Plants Vs Zombies.

I like her. She's very talented and well produced. 'When We Fall Asleep Where Do We Go' is an excellent debut album and worthy of the praise it's received.

I'd also agree that 'Everything I Wanted' is one of her better songs and I hope her next album will have more songs in that vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I like her as well very talented. Her carpool thing with James Corden is class

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Whatever about her potential, I hope it is protected or she will be leased out for collaboration tracks with other 'artists' going through dry patches or with a dying career.
    Seems to be a trend for every under 30yo artist. Milked for tracks.

I don't think it's a big a deal as they made out of her not knowing Van Halen etc. Who plays Van Halen now days? Where/when would she hear them enough to know who they are? It was some questionnaire all the radio stations ran with.
    RunDMC vs Jason Nevins was 1997/98, she wasn't born for another 3 or 4 years, and that would be the most recent.
    She had only heard of Nirvana because of the Foo Fighters and the grunge scene where she had seen iconic posters in the clubs she played early in her career (weird to say). Also, by the time Nirvana were making it big Van Halen were all but dead in terms of releasing new music.
    It could be a great thing for here (and the general music fan) that she has all that 'old' music to tap into, as opposed to cover, sample or remix... :rolleyes:

Dave Grohl is OLD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

I love music. Mozart to Motorhead and everything in between. The two songs in this thread are meh. If they're the best examples of her genius, I don't think I'll be buying any of her stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Plopsu wrote: »
    I love music. Mozart to Motorhead and everything in between. The two songs in this thread are meh. If they're the best examples of her genius, I don't think I'll be buying any of her stuff.
    Another bizarrely hyped act imo is Kendrick Lamarr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I dunno I like her sound. It's understated but there's some interesting production and arrangement going on. I can't think of any hooks or melodies that I've been blown away by on first listen but gosh darn it if they don't worm their way in, I've had everything I wanted stuck in my head since I typed it yesterday.

For people who find her stuff a bit meh god love ye for the next five years because a good 40% of what's on the radio is going to rip it off :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Another bizarrely hyped act imo is Kendrick Lamarr.

Only know his name because of that stunt where he had some woman from the audience come on stage to sing his song and then berated her for not censoring his lyrics.

Advertisement