Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo is autistic...allegedly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure she wouldn't want the public knowing what an utter gobsh1te she is.

That's been common knowledge for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No she didn’t say that she just said leo is artistic most eloquently. Indeed it was a compliment of thee utmost regard ~

Bobblehats wrote: »
    No she didn’t say that she just said leo is artistic most eloquently. Indeed it was a compliment of thee utmost regard ~

He'll have plenty of time on his hands for a bit of painting after the next government is formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Water John wrote: »
    Just to point out that the term Aspergers is no longer used. This is mainly because of its association with a German Nazi doctor.

Did you just make that up? Or are you living in a world of one?

Agricola wrote: »
    Leo will be delighted with this. First ethnicity, then sexuality and now he can add autism to his portfolio. Truly a Taoiseach for 21st century Ireland!

You're not suggesting Liberal Leo is a cooler fit for the FG Twitter voters than Simon the pieman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Its the initial denial that bothers me most.

Politicians say stupid things, but at least have some integrity while pursuing office and stand over what you've said and address it without having to be forced.

She should drop out.

Varta wrote: »
    Did you just make that up? Or are you living in a world of one?

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/new-evidence-ties-hans-asperger-nazi-eugenics-program/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I cant stop laughing at the thought of her saying the N word out of context

I'm well aware of Asperger's nazism. As it states in the article, however, "Yet the term is still widely used to refer to someone on the milder end of the autism spectrum."

Google the term and then tell me that it is no longer used. Erasing words and terms from the lexicon is never a good idea.

I'm well aware of Asperger's nazism. As it states in the article, however, "Yet the term is still widely used to refer to someone on the milder end of the autism spectrum."

Google the term and then tell me that it is no longer used. Erasing words and terms from the lexicon is never a good idea.

I didn't say it was no longer used.

• Advertisement

Its the initial denial that bothers me most.

Politicians say stupid things, but at least have some integrity while pursuing office and stand over what you've said and address it without having to be forced.

She should drop out.

She should have been dropped out. It was a stain on her, if FG do nothing about it then it will be a stain on FG.

I didn't say it was no longer used.

I beg your pardon, I mistakenly thought you were supporting the statement that it was no longer being used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

She should have been dropped out. It was a stain on her, if FG do nothing about it then it will be a stain on FG.

Do you seriously think that FG are going to drop a candidate less than 2 weeks before the election? Not a chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Been trying to think how can the n word be used out of context.

"Which n***er took the last biscuit?"

I'm gonna start saying this.

Do you seriously think that FG are going to drop a candidate less than 2 weeks before the election? Not a chance of that happening.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So should people wear a mask around Leo in case he coughs on you and you catch autism?

Marhay70 wrote: »
    That's just offensive to people with autism, autistic people can't help how they are. Varadkar, on the other hand works hard at being an 18 karat prick.

But what if he is actually on the spectrum? Just not diagnosed.
    She's not the first person I have heard of saying this about him.

Yurt! wrote: »
    What was she on about with the N-word stuff?

As someone else alluded to, she built up enough political capital with the 'amazing brave hun' crowd via a few set-piece performances in the Seanad around the time of the 8th referendum.

She also has the classic Fine Gael smugglepuff 'to the manor born' air that a lot of their TDs have.

Who votes for people like her?

They don't diagnose anyone with aspergers anymore, people are just 'on the spectrum '
    My godson was diagnosed about 7 years ago & they told his mother that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Who votes for people like her?

Other people who secretly use the "N" word and then apologise for being found out.. seriously.. you couldn't make this stuff up about a public representative.

Any other country and she would be OUT!

• Advertisement

I beg your pardon, I mistakenly thought you were supporting the statement that it was no longer being used.

I wouldn't know much about it. My sister is a national teacher and sometimes talks about kids with autism and asbergers. Just found that URL there. Interesting but disturbing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

golfball37 wrote: »
    Ah ffs. I am no FG fan but I get what she was trying to say here. Its not meant to be disrespectful to anyone who has austism, rather Leo shows the traits of someone with same.

and you don't think comparing him to symptoms of a mental disorder is wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Fine Gael seem to suffer a lot from foot-in-mouth issues.

I know plenty of people who use the term 'autistic' to describe someone who is simply a little cool with them, or geeky or academic and it is totally inappropriate both because it's completely inaccurate and it's also rather demeaning the seriousness of a genuine developmental issue that can be a real challenge for a those who have it and turning the description into a basically a word to attack a political 'opponent' with.

I mean would it be any more acceptable to throw any other issue e.g. I donno being a deaf or having coeliac disease or wearing glasses at someone at a term of abuse?

However, if you're a politician you should have a lot more sensitivity to use of language and also if you're in a political party it's generally not advisable to throw insults at the party leader.

Scoring own goals during an election is quite impressive!

and you don't think comparing him to symptoms of a mental disorder is wrong ?

Autism is not a mental disorder. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Joe's program has been sorted for today.

A Fine Gael senator and election candidate Catherine Noone called Leo Varadkar autistic yesterday.

EPXKSLaWAAEt85n?format=jpg&name=small

A bit of anger about this from people who have experience with this.

Should she step down?

No she shouldn't. Politicians make these stupid mistakes all the time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlbeuwFgwI

If their director of elections thinks that she had no chance even before this revelation and that Richard Bruton will win the only FG seat in Dublin Bay North, they'll probably withdraw her or get her to withdraw. It wasn't looking good for two seats for FG in Dublin North last week. Keeping her could impact Bruton's vote, though he looks very safe for a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The height of ignorance. Regardless of folks feelings on Varadkar, she's not fit for office.
    FYI: everyone is on the spectrum...that's why they call it a spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

It is such a tragedy that we missed our opportunity to abolish the Seanad that time.

It really is just a Nursery for stupid, failed, useless politicians with nothing going for them to thrive and claim huge salaries, expenses and pensions.
    Noone stood for the Dáil in the 2016 general election in the four seater Dublin West constituency but was eliminated after the second count with 1,074 first preference votes.[9] She was later nominated for the Seanad and was elected on the 26th count. After being elected to her second term in Seanad Éireann, she was appointed by the Taoiseach as Deputy Leader of Seanad Éireann in July 2016.

She's literally a perpetual drain on the States financial resources, offering nothing and that next to nobody wanted in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

A reformed Seanad would be a useful institution, but as it is it's a mess.

It actually has tried to reform itself about 13 times, producing extremely progressive and useful reports which various governments seem to have used perhaps as door stops or for propping up bookshelves over in Merrion Street.

Despite umpteen attempts by the Seanad itself to reform, it just seems to keep falling off the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Everyone is on there somewhere. The more " exposure" ( get it ) around election time the better I suppose. All leaders have their quirks and ways.

main-qimg-29382c75c500db48f947b28b75c1dc9ab0443df3b30de59dfd51e8c72b7a6bb6.jpgASD%20Spectrum.pngspectrum.jpg

Advertisement