Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billie eilish - Major Grammy winner

• 28-01-2020 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Are you a fan? I think her music is awesome.

Better than most of the crap these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,467 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I turn off the radio anytime one of her songs comes on, very very overrated singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I love her too

Absolute TUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Shades of billy idol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

When the party’s over is my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i like that one song she has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Looks like she could do with a good wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

Apparently her full name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell and she's never heard of Van Halen, Run DMC, or Huey Lewis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Who? Now, back to yelling at clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Just another modern day singer that mumbles through songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Billie Eilish’s music. I listen to her stuff a lot and never get bored.... I do sometimes wonder if she is overly influenced by her brother.

I hope she is the genius I think she is..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

She kind of intimidates me... and then irritates me.

Not enough drugs, sex and rock n roll for my liking.

Not intimidating , not irritating … please just

Entertaining. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Some good tunes. The production is fantastic.

As for not knowing those Val Halen/ Huey Lewis.. she’s 17/18.. I wouldn’t hold it it against her.. rock from 20 years and more before she was alive mightn’t be her thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Absolute TUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE!

I honestly rate that as one of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it. Not into modern music at all, but she stands out as something of a genius.

*Cue the entrance of music snobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I dont mind her.Her set at the Grammys was beautiful.Be interesting to see how she progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

I honestly rate that as one of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it. Not into modern music at all, but she stands out as something of a genius.

Its decent thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Apparently her full name is Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O'Connell and she's never heard of Van Halen, Run DMC, or Huey Lewis.

I only know who Huey Lewis and the News are because of the scene in American Psycho where he talks about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not a music snob but that song irritates the life out of me.

I only know who Huey Lewis and the News are because of the scene in American Psycho where he talks about them.

Not from back to the future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Not from back to the future ?

What’s back to the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have only heard this one song and I absolutely hate it. Doesn’t sound like a Bond type artist. I don’t get her. Would like to see a hip modern band get the Bond gig, like A-Ha sone years ago. Maybe 1975 or some other good indie band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So we can call her Eilish O'Connell.

Ipso wrote: »

Wash your mouth out:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Lisha wrote: »
    I love Billie Eilish’s music. I listen to her stuff a lot and never get bored.... I do sometimes wonder if she is overly influenced by her brother.

I hope she is the genius I think she is..

I'd say it's very collaborative, hope it lasts.

I love her. Production, lyrics, delivery. She really gives it socks live as well.

bellyache and everything i wanted would be my two favourites of hers.

She can come across a bit irritating and self regarding and naive in interviews. God it's like she's a teenager or something :pac:

Ipso wrote: »

I automatically dislike you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I automatically dislike you!

It’s ok, your kids will dig it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get it at all. I listened to a couple of her songs to see what the fuss was about but they lack any decent melody I don't really know why they're successful as pop songs. Even though I'm old I still like most kinds of music but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Her brother does most of the back work, he does the gritty melodies. So there's a pair of them in it. It's good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

While not the type of music I listen to, I respect her as an artist. She is hugely popular with young people that wouldn't be into more pop-like acts.
    She seems like a girl with her head screwed on and as it stands handles her skyrocketing fame pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Thought this was very good. The two of them are very talented. Fair play to them. WARNING: Contains James Corden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Still Ill wrote: »
    Thought this was very good. The two of them are very talented. Fair play to them. WARNING: Contains James Corden.

Thanks for the James Corden warning. Can’t stand him.

As for talent the brother is the musician.

Billie is an amazing singer but nothing without the brother.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

She has an Irish head on her alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So we can call her Eilish O'Connell.

Tubbers can ask the usual cringy questions about Irish ancestors and visiting the oul sod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Doesn't she just sing the music her brother creates?

Kind of like Rihanna, Katy Perry and all the other pop stars who sing sons given to them.

I agree though if the brother is the creative force very talented.

Her brother does most of the back work, he does the gritty melodies. So there's a pair of them in it. It's good music.

Her brothers songs are really good as well.I like him more than her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'd only heard the name until a few weeks ago, and I tried some of her music. I was actually quite impressed. Her brother is a good producer, they have weird tastes in sounds, and I like that she clearly doesn't take herself too seriously. In interviews she's always laughing and generally enjoying life, it seems, and isn't trying to "sell" herself like e.g. Ariana Grande.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

She's a bit overhyped sure, but she's still quite good. Definitely more interesting than a lot of other music currently in the charts. Plus she's still so young so will be interesting to see how she develops going forward. "Bury a Friend" is a great tune, very well composed and produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Someone at work really likes her, but I don't think they know the brother is the brains behind the vast majority of it, and she only "sings" (going very specifically by the Bad Guy song).

Finneas lost a friend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMVcCMO_Ng

Billie Buried a friend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Wonder if its the same friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's an interview where they go in to detail about how Bad Guy happened e.g. she did the basic track herself before showing it to Finneas. "Billie had basically just gotten Logic, was just figuring it out for the first time, and made this thing."

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't listened to a great deal of her stuff, but she seems like far from the worst. I know her brother is very involved and it seems like a collaborative project really.

Though, while all of the major entertainment awards are more of a celebration of success than actual quality, the Grammys are perhaps the worst of the lot for this. I wouldn't use them in any way to judge the quality of an act.

Sell a lot of albums = win a Grammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Her music does very little for me. Not really a fan. Grammys have lost their importance these days in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

She's great, most of the tracks on her album are really good with the exception of two or three. She seems like a decent skin too. If you like her music check out her brother Finneas, his stuff is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Her music does very little for me. Not really a fan. Grammys have lost their importance these days in any case.

The Grammys were never important.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Is it common knowledge that she doesn't know the above mentioned artists or are you quoting her wiki page ?

I doubt they know her either btw.

milehip wrote: »
    Is it common knowledge that she doesn't know the above mentioned artists or are you quoting her wiki page ?

I think it was in an interview with one of the American nighttime hosts that she said she didn't know them. She also said she didn't know what Cabbage Patch Dolls are, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I only know her best known song and I can't stand it. I'd have loved it when I was 12 though.

In the name of god, why on earth are people bandying the word "genius" around?

Note: the above is an opinion, not snobbery. Disliking something is not snobbery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This tweet about the Van Halen thing was gas.

https://twitter.com/Manda_like_wine/status/1201583209319927808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

was he a cousin of Van Morrison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I only know her best known song and I can't stand it. I'd have loved it when I was 12 though.

In the name of god, why on earth are people bandying the word "genius" around?

Note: the above is an opinion, not snobbery. Disliking something is not snobbery.

When the party’s over is pretty good song

• Advertisement
Advertisement