Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heifer with sliced leg

• 31-07-2020 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I have a heifer that sliced it's leg on a sharp disc . It has sliced open the front of the leg and there is a nice enough deep wound.i felt inside and couldt find any barbed wire or anything. It is deep enough and across the leg. I got an injection from the vet and giving him that every 2 days. I'm cleaning the wound with Epsom salts and water, putting on silver spray and Stockholm tar on top of that. I have him in a shed and feeding him hay. Obviously will call the vet out if it doesn't improve. Just wondering any advice to manage the wound?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If its that deep vet should be out to stitch it up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

How old is the wound? Is it infected? How deep is it?

Don't put Stockholm tar onto the wound, around it to keep away flies perhaps. Beware of pieces of hay and seed getting into the wound.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

My vets advice in cases like this is get it cleaned and get it covered as soon as possible after the cut happens.

Clean it and put a yellow pack of sulpha powder into the wound, bandage it then and repeat this every 2/3 days.
    Long acting antibiotic also to prevent infection.

If the cut has gone to the bone and damaged the protective layer on the outside of the bone letting infection in you’re going to have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

I have a heifer that sliced it's leg on a sharp disc . It has sliced open the front of the leg and there is a nice enough deep wound.i felt inside and couldt find any barbed wire or anything. It is deep enough and across the leg. I got an injection from the vet and giving him that every 2 days. I'm cleaning the wound with Epsom salts and water, putting on silver spray and Stockholm tar on top of that. I have him in a shed and feeding him hay. Obviously will call the vet out if it doesn't improve. Just wondering any advice to manage the wound?

If I were you I would get the vet out tomorrow morning, the vet more than likely has seen loads of these cases, it might be cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

It needs stitching I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement