Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do??

Options
  • 27-05-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,
    just off the phone and I have an interview with a cabinet making company on Monday. I was asked to bring in things I have made and exam results. Now I have not made many things at all that would be of presentation quality. I've made a few things in 3rd year up to the Junior Cert but when I look at them now I could have done a way better job. The only thing I really have is my oil stone box from carpentry college. The rest of the stuff I did there was just windows and the likes.

Ideally I'd like to get my hands stuck in over the weekend but I don't even have a bench or anything to work on and I probably couldn't produce that many things between now and Monday.

What would you guys do :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Photographs Cormie, have you any pics of any work you have done.

Any project work from school related to woodwork, doesn't have to be wooden articles, written work would do.

References. Tell them that you have too little notice to organise all your articles for the interview. Contact your FAS supervisor, maybe he will give you a reference.

Be diplomatic , or bend the truth slightly, if you have to, but If this is the job you want, do your best to get in the door at least. If you're not up to the job, they'll find out fairly quick any way.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks Kadman,

I have no photos of my work. I have a few things from the FAS course but they are not exactly works of art. It's a bit too late to get photos of my work and I really don't have an extensive catalogue of anything really. Also, some of the things I made up to 3rd year in woodwork are now household objects and and don't look the best after years of use :rolleyes:

I know that might be a good sign that they have lasted so long, but all they are is a tray and a little mat for the kettle with a tile in the middle :o

I might bring in my oilstone box. I have a bit of hardwood in the shed, they are a furniture shop so I might carve out a handle for wardrobe or something. I don't have the tools though. I really need a bench for this kind of thing, all I have is chisels. Any tips??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I reckon it would be quicker to clean up the tray, than starting from scratch, with no tools or bench.

kadman

Advertisement