Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us yer workshop/shed/castle/kingdom/place of escape

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

no problem Fingalian. My bench isn't a roubo bench although my next one might be. I made mine from these plans that I got online. (minus the drawers)
    http://www.plansnow.com/wwrkbnch.html

For a while I had a normal woodworking vice in the face vise position but after reading a lot of stuff by Christopher Schwarz I decided to put a leg vice on the front and I moved the woodworking vice to the end so it works kinda like a tail vice. I put a row of dog holes along the length of the bench in line with the tail vice and use it for clamping. The Leg vice has much better capacity as the screw is 10 inches below the top of the vice and it has an absolute ton of grip, some people also glue leather to the top few inches of each side of the vice jaws to increase the holding ability even more. I have to say I am very, very happy with it. All I had to buy was the screw ( 15-20 euro ) and the front jaw I just used a piece of 2x9 pine that I had around the shop. The pine is plenty strong and has never let me down. As opposed to 50-60 euro for a basic record vice.

They say that the first thing you want to do after building a bench is build another one and I have to say that is true. The amount of reading I did about benches during and after when I was building mine made me want to build another. The likes of a roubo would be fun to build alright. I never liked the "european style" benches, to my eye they just seem limiting but I have to qualify that by saying that I have never used one for more than 10 minutes. My current bench those is more than sufficent. And at the cost of only 8 2x4's and some bolts and glue it was, in my opinion, the best place to start. At the end of the day the purpose of the bench is to get you up and running as a woodworker as quickly as possible and to provide you with some good square footage to do that and this bench is very good for that.

I think I'll start a thread to ask people about their benches.

Glad I could help Fingalian

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Fingalian,
    when i saw that vice it reminded me of one I had seen on line. It was a really old bench but for the life of me I couldn't remember where I saw it and searching around on line yesterday yielded nothing. I thought it was on the domini bench or one of the old american benches from the shaker style. But I couldn't find it. Then by chance I found it today.

Check out the following link and you should see what I was talking about when I was saying that some of those vices were used with the jaws mounted above the bench top. It also shows that is has a rear leg similar to the one you have.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/The+Canadian+Roubo.aspx

Take care Fingalian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Well, the workshop is still in a mess, but, thankfully coming to shape again now. I tackled a cavity block 11x12ft extension myself (first time really to try block laying :p) and am pretty pleased with the outcome, got a hand to roof it this past week so she's water tight......or just about ;)

Before:
    cut.jpg

After:
    extension-1.jpg

At the very back (with temporary ply doors) is an opening for which a neighbour is going to make up a set of metal doors for, the opening is 5ft wide by almost 8ft high! plenty big. See my fancy timber storage solution suppended from the rafters? :D Just have to fit the window then, paint the walls nice and bright. Set up some new workbenches (including a new one for the table saw :p), clean up some of the internal blockwork, get the extension wired and make some shelving all the usual garage junk and THEN I'm back in business!

My poor bank account cant take much more of this! :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Nice one croppy, I could do with an extension. My shed is in one hell of a mess,so much so that it puts me off working in it. I'm considering do a revamp.I have to move my lathe off it's stand and put it on a heavy workbench,I cant turn anything off the bed because the whole lathe tries to go walkies around the shed, trouble is I use the bench for other stuff,so I'll have to move all that stuff, and move the bench because it's too near the wall,you get the picture:rolleyes: Nice block work btw.

You can never have enough space can you? No matter how much you have you'll always want more! :P

I havent been able to do anything in my shop for well over a month now, but just the past couple of days I was able to set up the table saw (finally have space to use it now! :D) and my mitre saw and start making new benches and for the extension, it felt good to be doing a bit o' wood working again ;)

Just to point out, the block work at either side of the opening into the extension isnt mine! lol, it looks pretty bad, it was originally an opening into the shed through which you could drive a car! I had some fun trying to remove a 6" square lintel over the opening that was made from mass concrete and had three lenght of angle iron from a bed frame in it!! :o

Hows the stove going for you? I believe its to turn cold again this week so you'll be fine! :P Unfortunately mine is still in pieces awaiting to be put in its new posistion so guess who'll be freezing his ass off this week!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Just to point out, the block work at either side of the opening into the extension isnt mine! lol, it looks pretty bad,
    Well I paid a professional to do mine and it looked worse than that:p

Stove is great,I'd have it going 24/7 even in good weather if my neighbours didn't put cloths on the line.Actually I was wondering if plywood and chipboard are ok to burn,I know they'll burn,I just don't want to burn stuff that will generate excessive smoke and have them complaining. One of them actually reported me when I built the shed to the planning crowd,so you can guess the sort they are.

dubtom wrote: »
    Just to point out, the block work at either side of the opening into the extension isnt mine! lol, it looks pretty bad,
    Well I paid a professional to do mine and it looked worse than that:p

Stove is great,I'd have it going 24/7 even in good weather if my neighbours didn't put cloths on the line.Actually I was wondering if plywood and chipboard are ok to burn,I know they'll burn,I just don't want to burn stuff that will generate excessive smoke and have them complaining. One of them actually reported me when I built the shed to the planning crowd,so you can guess the sort they are.

Jeez, I hope you didnt pay the guy too much did you? I was pretty slow with the block laying, I think if I layed about 20 blocks a day I was doing well :D, but, I took my time at it and got it done right, and the feeling of satisfaction having built your own workshop, is, as the Mastercard adverts say, priceless :).

I found that MDF and Ply burnt great in my stove, chipboard burns great too, I guess because its so dense, and compacted that it takes longer to burn and also possibly the glues in it too. Just make sure its dry!!! lol, that probably goes without saying but I threw in a piece of damp MDF into my stove once and I was afraid the fire brigade was going to be called with what smoke was in the area!! oops :rolleyes:. I had a similar problem with smoke and neighbours washing, they didnt say anything, but the smoke would come out of the chimney, over the house next door and sink down into the garden of the house that always had feckin' washing on the line!! :eek: I hope a longer chimney will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

aerosol wrote: »
    Croppyboy,top thread.Its great to have look round other peoples shops.I love that new table saw of yours.So far I've seen something in all that I'd like:D
    my latest toy,(still looking for a manual.......) This is my next project,getting it serviced and making a table for it,I can't wait to start using it
    shopnRAS004.jpg

They're a great machine when you get used to them, you can set them up for ripping,grooving. Have you tried contacting Dewalt they may have something in archive.The original work surface was a sturdy plywood. Is that 3 phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Bradnailer, someone on a UK forum sent me pdf files of 3 manuals but all for slightly different models.He was sure that they would be very similar.I've yet to study them closely,I need to clear(and keep clear!) some bench space before I start stripping it down.I'm a bit daunted by the thought tbh.

All the manuals point to it being single phase,I'm not sure if the added on/off switch makes it 3 phase???I wasn't too attentive during physics lessons:rolleyes:

Advertisement