Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shipping costs

Options
  • 22-06-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to replace a lathe i borrowed (very cheap tin thing not much use) so i ordered a perform ccl form axminster for stg£150 they wanted stg£90 for shipping ! so i cancelled the order and now am looking for someone in ireland to supply similiar - i'm in donegal but don't my driving if the product and price is right.
    anyone any ideas the woodturning suppliers in ireland seem to have a very low profile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That lathe is a common piece of kit and is made in China to various levels of spec for many low-end manufacturers like Nu-Tool and Draper. Lenehans in Dublin sell it, or one very much like it. Don't know the price though, and their website at www.lenehans.ie seems to be redirecting to a uk website ... strange.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of budget you have, what kind of turning you do, or are hoping to do in the future, but this kind of lathe really represents the bottom end of what is available, and to be honest won't last (you) very long. Some of the more expensive (white) Axminster lathes like the M900 or 950, or something like a Nova 3k, which I have, will last you a lot longer and grow with your improving turning skills rather than restricting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh the problem is that the nova 3k is stg£995 and all i'm doing at the moment is occasional hobby turning (bud vases, xmas tree decs etc) would like something that could do the odd bowl and platter and if i got really into it then i might buy a better lathe,
    i guess lenehans will ship from england giving me the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i guess lenehans will ship from england giving me the same problem

The lenehans.ie website seems to be royally fcuked up. It now redirects to diytools.ie, but if you then click on any items you then get redirected to diytools.co.uk again, so your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, Lenehans still have a physical presence here in Dublin in Capel Street. McQuillans (sp?), also in Capel Street, also have a fair selection of lathes down in their basement including some cheapish Delta's which, again, are virtually the same machine as the NuTool, Draper, Perform etc. The design is identical, the only difference being in the quality of some of the castings and some minor design changes.

BTW I paid €1200 for my Nova 3K from Richard Gough in Little Mary Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Try Gleeson's Woodturning Supplies, in Kilcock, Co. Kildare, tel: (01) 6284940. He sells a lot of lathes, I believe, and a lot of his stock comes from Axminster (although he doesn't charge anything like their extra delivery fees). I'm not sure if he delivers around the country himself, but I found him very good to deal with the one time I dropped out to him, so he might be open to the idea.

I believe he can be hard to reach during the day. I was advised to ring him in the evenings or at weekends - I wasn't sure about that, as I didn't want to extend his working day, but it seems to suit him fine.

Advertisement