Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sliding mitre saw. What ye reckon.

Options
  • 05-06-2005 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Ok just bought this off ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4385948158 It's a Dewalt DW708 sliding mitre saw with extras supplied with it. Can't wait to get it :D:D Getting it from america. Will I need some sort of transformer for it work here or would one of them transformers that they use out on site for 110V work for this? It's going to cost me about €800 including shipping from america :D and more than likely a cost will incur from Irish customs. :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Galwaydude,

How come you did not buy one here in Ireland.
    At least you would have some comeback here. Are you sure that saw is going to work here on our 240 volt, even with a 110 transformer. I see a thread on gardening/diy at the moment 50hz-60hz, discussing that very problem.

I own one of those saws, and they are untouchable. Excellent for all manner of woodwork, workshop or sitework. I have the extending support stand, that can hold sixteen feet lengths of timber, brilliant. You wont be sorry you bought it.

Check out the voltage issue though.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I didn't buy it over due to the crazy price you would get charged over here... Seen most prices around €1500.. I'm only paying just over €800 and will prob have to pay custom duty over as well. I will still end up a good few hunderd euro better off by importing it from America.

I would defo reckon that it will work over here. I know loads of people that have bought radios, playstations, t.v's and the likes and they all work.

Hey kadman I checked out that thread you were on about and I was told that it will work with no problems at all.. I'll be off buying a transformer tomorrow for it.. YA BABY... It's gona be a class bit of machinery...
    I'll be putting to good use straight away.. Have to lay four laminate wooden floors, new skirting hang seven new pine 6 panel doors and new architrave as all making fitted wardrobes for my mother and possibly a corner unit for the t.v. sky box and all that stuff.
    Yes my summer holidays from college are going to busy. As well as doing all that I will be working in an architects office as well. I have atually been working there for the last five years. Ya must of guessed by now I'm like a child with a new toy on the way..

Hi Galwaydude,

Yeah I know the story. Bigger boys get bigger toys :D

Brilliant saw alright. I bought mine about 2 years ago, with the collapsible stand. Excellent for flooring, decking ect, it'll do anything, compound mitres on cornice, really accurate. This saw is definitely the business.

Remember, safety first, woodwork second.

It seems like you will be a busy little camper through the hols...have fun :)

How did the ADT cad go. Any luck there yet.

kadman

Ya bigger toys for bigger boys. I got a Hitachi M12V router when I was about thirteen for a christmas present. It's a class bit of router as well. Didn't get the stand for it yet but I'll probably have it before the end of the summer.

To be honest I havn't had time look at the ADT since. I thought I would this summer but I won't have any time until I get all this work done at home. And to think I study electronics and computer engineering in college!!! Love this stuff it takes my mind off all that theory and maths in college....

Would love to get a nice 12" wide planer thicknesser sometime... Ya never know what I could get for christmas.. I hope to build a new pc around that time. Sure we will see what happens... I'll keep you informed as to how I'm getting on and also post up a few pics of my work as well..

• Advertisement

De-walt have a nice little thicknesser, 12 x 6. I have used mine for about 8 years , alot of stuff gone through it, and its a tough little machine. Portable as well.
    The hitachi m12, is that the largest they make. I used a hitachi for about 3 years, making staircases, routing the strings ect. Definitely better than the best de-walt had to offer. Not 100% sure if it was the m12 though.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

grate saw us it in work all the time

Well lads got the saw today... Can't believe how good it is. I got three blades, a metal cutting blade and the guides for cutting crown mouldings... Such a deal that I got. It cost me a total of 955 euro and that included custom charges.. I priced the saw in trade shop and it's 1600 euro. I got a damn good price and loads of extras. Now to put it into use... Ya let the good times roll on........

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Galwaydude, slightly off point (that saw is an animal by the way brother used to have one when he was a landscaper absolute savage saw and fairly bloody accurate too) you got this off ebay did the people you won it off reply to your emails and what shipping did they use and how long take

Cheers

Advertisement